Warning to all bikers thinking about Orbea

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Warning to all bikers thinking about Orbea
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
I am now on my second warranty claim for my top of the line X Team Rallon build, my chainstay has cracked twice on the same weld each time. This most recent go around they finally decided to send me a new frame to replace it. This is where the problems begin to get ridiculous. I don't know how it was possible but the shock pivot bearings were pressed in too deep from the factory making it impossible to mount my original stock shock without bringing it back to my LBS for them to pop the bearings out and reinstall them so we could get the shock mounted. On top of that the factory installed the wrong rear droputs on the rear triangle, it came with a dropout for a quick release skewer, on a $7K USD build enduro bike. Finally I was able to get a hold of their Southeast USA rep. who was very sympathetic and helpful in trying to get that situated, their warranty guy on the other hand wont return phone calls or emails.

It doesn't end there. Today i got a message that the replacement dropouts that Orbea claimed they were shipping to me had arrived at the bike shop instead. Great, almost three months in and I can finally get this bike rolling again. Think again they sent the wrong dropouts again! this time they got the size right but the thread pitch is completely different making it impossible to mount my rear wheel with original stock hub and through axle. No answer at Orbea USA today and a convenient, out of office, email response from their warranty guy but hey thats expected as he's already shown that he has no interest in helping customers by returning phone calls or emails.

I paid full price for this bike and registered my warranty immediately upon buying, I have shown them my original receipt and this is the customer service I get. How in this day and age is it that hard to reference a serial number and access the information on what parts you originally stocked on a bike and make sure your replacement parts match up. I now have a $7K piece junk just hanging in my garage with no clue if it will ever be useable again.

I warn anyone who is considering purchasing an Orbea bicycle. They may be incredibly fun but once you hand them your money you will be completely on your own.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 6:33 Quote
Weld? Which model year is it? How old is your bike?

Btw.. if it makes you any less angry at mtb brand.. last year my ford focus 1.0l engine had cracked piston that broke down 14 days out of warranty... it cost me 5000 eur to get new engine haha

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
sxy-slo wrote:
Weld? Which model year is it? How old is your bike?

Btw.. if it makes you any less angry at mtb brand.. last year my ford focus 1.0l engine had cracked piston that broke down 14 days out of warranty... it cost me 5000 eur to get new engine haha

2015 Rallon with a lifetime frame warranty, chain stay weld each time. First crack was under two years the second was on the replacement rear triangle and that cracked in less than two years as well. The second crack was more than a crack, an entire chunk of the weld broke out. I don't expect a lifetime frame warranty to last forever but a weld should last for more than two years on an enduro bike.

I've been satisfied with their intended solutions but the just haven't come to fruition. My main issue is that USA customer service is almost non existent. My first warrant took months to complete because I had moved 14 hours away from where I had bought the bike and the shop Orbea asked me to go through didn't want to help because I didn't buy the bike there. This recent claim is now going on three months. Their warranty guy refuses to respond to emails or phone calls for simple requests just to keep me updated on what's going on. My LBS had been phenomenal in gluing out of their way to help me with this but Orbea had dropped the ball on every bit of this warranty issue. This was the most fun bike I've ever ridden but dealing with Orbea has made me wish I went with Devinci or even Trek for that matter.

I'm sorry about your Ford. That timing is a super bummer.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
Photos
More than a failed weld in my opinion.

Quick release dropouts for an enduro bike that originally came with a through axle really Orbea
Quick release dropouts for an enduro bike that originally came with a through axle, really Orbea?

Quick release dropouts for an enduro bike that originally came with a through axle really Orbea
Quick release dropouts for an enduro bike that originally came with a through axle, really Orbea?

[PI=18464253]Replacement dropout, thread pitch isn't even close to matching the threading in the original through axle.
Orbea, how hard is it to satisfy your customers?[/PI]

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
lifeofloon wrote:
how hard is it to satisfy your customers?[/PI]

Thats what she said.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 16:32 Quote
lifeofloon wrote:
Photos

You getting chain suck or is the tire rubbing under flex? Looks like contact rub on the weld.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 16:54 Quote
Xlr8n wrote:
lifeofloon wrote:
Photos

You getting chain suck or is the tire rubbing under flex? Looks like contact rub on the weld.

Most likely tire rub from the flexing during the week or so of riding on it until I discovered why my spokes kept snapping out back and what was creating the creaking sound. I tend to go over my bikes once they could of weeks. The other give away was the heel rub on the chain protector.
Knock on wood, I've never had an issue with the chain with the XO1 drivetrain and MRP guide/guard combo.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 23:46 Quote
This is quite a hole.. it looks to me as if there was too large a gap that was filled with weld.
Still cant believe USA orbea dealers attitude..

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 3:57 Quote
sxy-slo wrote:
This is quite a hole.. it looks to me as if there was too large a gap that was filled with weld.
Still cant believe USA orbea dealers attitude..

I can't believe they refuse to have any contact with their customer's directly. After an unanswered email to Orbea warranty and four unanswered phone calls to Orbea on my part, last night I did receive an email from my LBS saying Orbea had contacted them very apologetic about the situation and that new parts would be shipped after the 14th, another two to three weeks of waiting at the least. But absolutely no contact with me from Orbea.

I know they are a chain bike shop over here but I can't say enough good things about how Danny's Cycles has gone above and beyond to help me, a customer who didn't even buy my bike from them. They have been sympathetic to my issue and very diligent about getting after Orbea to do the right thing. I highly recommend them to anyone in my area.

So maybe sometime in May I can ride my bike again. Too bad the season here has been well underway. At least I have my trusty GT Zaskar.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007692
Mobile Version of Website