Sticky rear derailleur (Shimano XT 11 speeds)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Sticky rear derailleur (Shimano XT 11 speeds)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 19:36 Quote
Hi all, my rear derailleur's cage is slow to return back when going towards smaller cogs. In the end, the chain just looses all tension until the cage finally goes back after some time (or if I manually pull it back). It also makes a noise when I pull the cage backwards (squeaky).

First thought it could be the clutch, so removed it from the derailleur. Same behaviour. Seems like there's friction between the cage and the body where the clutch is. Doesn't seem like it's possible to lubricate/grease this part. Any hints or new derailleur needed (it's 2 summers old).

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 20:53 Quote
possible that it is the spring inside the derailleur, or an over tightened bolt maybe?

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 23:45 Quote
Spray all of the pivot points with grease whilst moving the derailleur back and forth by hand with the clutch off. If that doesn't work it may be that the clutch is so tight that even when it's off it is still on. You can adjust the clutch tension, just Google it and you will find instructions on what to do

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 4:20 Quote
Cannot be overtightened at this place, the cage pivots at a lower point than where it is attached to the frame. As I said, I completely removed the clutch system from the derailleur, so it's not the issue.

Anything else I should be checking?

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 4:45 Quote
Assume the cable is moving freely and isn't holding the derailleur in a lower gear? Other than that, not sure, other than stripping the cage off and giving everything a good clean and lube, or the spring has lost its effectiveness.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 19:01 Quote
The cage can be removed. Ive had to do this a few times to clean and grease the pivot, not the same derailleur by the way.
I googled "11sp xt rear derailleur diagram" and was able to find the manual explaining the process. I tried posting the link direct, however, I cant figure out how.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 6:54 Quote
TwoWheelMike wrote:
The cage can be removed. Ive had to do this a few times to clean and grease the pivot, not the same derailleur by the way.
I googled "11sp xt rear derailleur diagram" and was able to find the manual explaining the process. I tried posting the link direct, however, I cant figure out how.

Marvelous! Thanks!

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RD0004-08-ENG.pdf

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005829
Mobile Version of Website