Is a 2002 Norco Atomik frame worth buying?

PB Forum :: Norco
Is a 2002 Norco Atomik frame worth buying?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 at 17:58 Quote
I realize that there are a number of threads regarding the older VPS frames, but I need a definitive answer for a 2002 Norco Atomik frame.

Someone's selling a 2002 Norco Atomik frame for 120. I plan on offering a little less, because I just paid tuition and i'm broke, but nonetheless, is this worth buying at all?

I realize that it's really old, and I've heard many people say Norcos are crap. Matter of the fact is, I have all the parts to build a bike except for a full suspension frame.

I've heard that it's really hard to find a rear shock that'll fit this frame. It has the Vanillia R on it right now I think. How easy is it to find a heavier spring for it?

Also how reliable is the frame in general? I've heard things about how the sidewalls of the frame are really thin and dent easily, but on the other hand I've read that people trash the crap outta the old atomiks and never had problems.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 9:23 Quote
I dont know about atomiks but i have a 2004 norco vps savage and its freaking awesome, really strong! i bought it second hand on ebay and its obviously been used quite a lot but its still solid, the paint doesnt chip easily and it does not dent. i crashed badly on a rock garden and the bike ended up mile from me and it scraped on the the rocks, but it didnt dent!! hope this helps

NORCOS ALL THE WAY!!!

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 9:33 Quote
i have seen guys put the 02's though hell and back, i think it'll be fine, but check it out first. only buy it if you can hold it in your hand first and inspect it. there good frames but if someone thrashed it it may be in bad shape. if its good then its totally worth buying. ive seen guys do lots of things to those, incuding one guy machining the link plates to accept a bigger shock and threw on an 03 monster t and they hucked it off roofs with no problems

Posted: May 27, 2015 at 10:16 Quote
tulstot4 wrote:
I dont know about atomiks but i have a 2004 norco vps savage and its freaking awesome, really strong! i bought it second hand on ebay and its obviously been used quite a lot but its still solid, the paint doesnt chip easily and it does not dent. i crashed badly on a rock garden and the bike ended up mile from me and it scraped on the the rocks, but it didnt dent!! hope this helps

NORCOS ALL THE WAY!!!
I'm looking at this in 2015 teleportation

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 18:49 Quote
I have the 2003 atomik and like it so much! Just the size is not good, it's a small. Wish I will find a large one...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009359
Mobile Version of Website