What duty/tax to Canada ,did you pay from CRC/ Vitus

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What duty/tax to Canada ,did you pay from CRC/ Vitus
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
Wondering if anyone has had any 2020 experience in bringing a bike over to the Great White North from the UK?
Heard 30% , but wondering if that is actual or perceived ?

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 14:59 Quote
I always pick pay duty/taxes up front on my CRC orders. It's possible you might get away with one and not have to pay any duty or taxes upon delivery but if you get nailed for something and you have to return the item later, you can't get that back from the courier. (actually technically you can but you have to apply to the 'gov to get it back and apparently that is a nightmare). Any time I've had to send something back to CRC they refund me the cost of the item + the taxes/duty I paid. Paying up front also bypasses most of the customs delays at the border.

The cost you'd pay for duty/taxes/etc through the courier is roughly the same as what CRC charges...depending on the carrier. DHL, UPS, etc, have different broker rates and what you end up paying could be higher.

Just FYI Jenson guarantees no duty/taxes upon delivery to Canada. They charge GST when you pay for your order.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 16:29 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
I always pick pay duty/taxes up front on my CRC orders. It's possible you might get away with one and not have to pay any duty or taxes upon delivery but if you get nailed for something and you have to return the item later, you can't get that back from the courier. (actually technically you can but you have to apply to the 'gov to get it back and apparently that is a nightmare). Any time I've had to send something back to CRC they refund me the cost of the item + the taxes/duty I paid. Paying up front also bypasses most of the customs delays at the border.

The cost you'd pay for duty/taxes/etc through the courier is roughly the same as what CRC charges...depending on the carrier. DHL, UPS, etc, have different broker rates and what you end up paying could be higher.

Just FYI Jenson guarantees no duty/taxes upon delivery to Canada. They charge GST when you pay for your order.

Thanks for the info.
I will check out Jenson also.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 20:37 Quote
Got a lynskey frame and two cube road bikes from cc over the past two years. Duty up front was expensive - like 400$

So I rolled the dice and did free shipping. The lynskey slipped through the defense and was tax/duty free! I think I paid about 10percent on the road bikes - about 200$ each.

Jenson is pay up front only and is pretty reasonable.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
Just learned that Jenson will not ship Ibis bikes to Canada due to “manufacturers restrictions”.
I guess Ibis is trying to protect their LBS network here.

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 13:51 Quote
rockcliffe wrote:
Just learned that Jenson will not ship Ibis bikes to Canada due to “manufacturers restrictions”.
I guess Ibis is trying to protect their LBS network here.

Yes this is an issue with Jenson. There are a ton of restrictions. They'll advertise all over the place that they have 20% off sales etc, and then you find that it doesn't apply to certain brands or they don't ship to Canada.

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
Jenson also double charges.

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 17:54 Quote
Wow, and I thought the US tax guys were bad....sheesh.

Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
Our free medicare for all, covers us for a lot of injuries, but we pay for it in our taxes Wink

Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
rockcliffe wrote:
RoadStain wrote:
free....... but we pay for it in our taxes Wink

Some years ago I got out of paying about $30k in sales/excise/sin taxes on a car...just had to do it the right way :-)

Wait, will you guys please take Randy Quaid back?

Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
rockcliffe wrote:
RoadStain wrote:
free....... but we pay for it in our taxes Wink

Some years ago I got out of paying about $30k in sales/excise/sin taxes on a car...just had to do it the right way :-)

Wait, will you guys please take Randy Quaid back?

Yeah I looked into having this shipped from the US to Oregon where they don't have sales tax and then either bringing them across the border or having someone there ship them. But that's complicated and time consuming for some bike parts haha. What (sometimes) works is asking Dunbar or TBS Bike parts in Canada to do price matches with US retailers. I got a smokin' deal on a custom wheelset based on a quote from Fanatik. But now that the Canadian dollar is so bad, those days are done.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005784
Mobile Version of Website