Best bike rack for enduro bikes

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best bike rack for enduro bikes
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 15:12 Quote
rockcliffe wrote:
freerider11 wrote:
Ok. Sounds like an electric car maybe isn't the best choice then if you're wanting to shuttle bikes if efficiency and range is such a concern. I find it hard to believe that a 1up loaded with 3 bikes doesn't cause similar range issues? Although I think EV's are the future, they still have a long way to go. Owning/driving an EV today seems like such a hassle. To each their own though I suppose...
EV's are not a hassle at all, you just need to think about things like drag and choose what you put on the car carefully.
I would never go back to gas, the future is now, we only have one planetSmile

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 19:48 Quote
rockcliffe wrote:
freerider11 wrote:
Ok. Sounds like an electric car maybe isn't the best choice then if you're wanting to shuttle bikes if efficiency and range is such a concern. I find it hard to believe that a 1up loaded with 3 bikes doesn't cause similar range issues? Although I think EV's are the future, they still have a long way to go. Owning/driving an EV today seems like such a hassle. To each their own though I suppose...
EV's are not a hassle at all, you just need to think about things like drag and choose what you put on the car carefully.

If anything,covid has show us that cleaning up the environment is not that hard. The huge plumes of solution over China were gone in the first month. Google the satellite images if you haven't seen them already. The reason the environment is nott already clean is due to our priorities being somewhere else.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 20:24 Quote
1 UP is hard to beat.

As far as driving an EV, I believe the manufacturing process for the batteries negates much of the good. If I went that way it would solely be a financial decision.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 5:52 Quote
rockcliffe wrote:
freerider11 wrote:

Really, not a hassle? I guess if you're using it as an around town grocery getter, then I'd agree, no hassle at all. But if you need to think carefully about how you're packing it, and how you're putting bikes on it, then yes I'd call that a hassle. Road trips would be a major hassle. I guess you don't do any road trips? So you being in Ottawa, let's say you wanted to pack up 3 bikes (on your 1up rack) and all gear/supplies and head over to MSA or VBN, SDM or another one of the great riding areas in Quebec. Even with your Tesla unloaded do you even have enough range to get there without having to stop for a charge? Loaded, as you've admitted range will be even worse. Good luck finding a fast charging station in rural Quebec. And even if you do find a fast charging station, it takes what, an hour to charge? And even if you can get there on a single charge, you still need to find somewhere to charge before you can drive home. Sounds like a major pain in the ass to me.

And you're kidding yourself if you think you're saving the planet by driving your Tesla. As already mentioned, the manufacturing process and disposal for the batteries is NOT environmentally friendly. And think about how much of the electricity you're using to charge your Tesla every day is coming from is also not being produced in an environmentally friendly way. I won't pretend to know exactly the environmental gains in driving EV's over gas vehicles, but I know it's not nearly what most EV (especially Tesla) drivers like to preach all the time.

As I said, I have no doubt EV's are the future, and some day we will all be driving them. And good for you for being an early adopter. But they have a LONG way to go still before they're practical. Until improvements are made to charging infrastructure, range and charge times, battery manufacturing and disposal and clean energy/electricity production they just remain a huge hassle and not nearly the environmental savior that most owners go on about.

Sorry for the off topic rant. Racks, yes the 1up is great. I owned one for years but sold it off since it was a little too flimsy for heavier trail and DH bikes (although I had an older version). And I wanted the ability to carry 4 or more bikes. Build quality is top notch, and the aluminum construction is great. My next rack will be an upright Recon or similar type rack. Since, I've just been hanging bikes over the tailgate of my gas burning truck Smile . But do plan on picking up a rack this year to free up the bed space for road trips.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 9:41 Quote
Sure, an upright rack is bad for a sedan or small crossover. In that case, I also give the 1UP the win. However, debating the best bike rack you can get for a Model 3 is sort of like trying to figure out which theater concession stand serves the best steak.

If you're comparing racks based only on things like quality, durability, bike compatibility, stability, ease of use, carrying capacity, etc, then the Recon dominates.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
debating the best bike rack you can get for a Model 3 is sort of like trying to figure out which theater concession stand serves the best steak

lol

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006454
Mobile Version of Website