Freecoaster on street trials?

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Freecoaster on street trials?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 21:19 Quote
Is there a good freecoaster for street trials?
I know Ali Clarkson did it in one of his vlogs.
Has anyone done this before?
Thanks!

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
"Is there a good freecoaster...?"

In my experience, the short answer is that a freecoaster is always going to be a compromise between price/durability/quick engagement. I have yet to find one that I love.

What frame do have, and what kind of rear brake are you running? I may be able to provide more specific advice.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 16:47 Quote
finnvink wrote:
Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^^^ That is right. Freecoaster hubs suck for trials. However there is a solution

Run a 9/6 speed with a neutral gear. Works like a dream.

This way works extremely good. I have been using it for a couple months, it's never snagged or had any issues. i do street trials. Though running gears is questionable in the world of trials, the modern 1X9 clutched narrow wide with e-bike chain in my opinion is just about trials ready. Just needs a strong derailleur hanger and good to go. I am manufacturing a universal strong hanger with a break away bolt. I think this combined with box 2 will eliminate the need to go single speed. Ryan Leech used to do crazy stuff on the old junk 1X9 drivetrain, so I figure all the modern tech is worth giving it another go. Overall I love gears, it's way more fun. If you aren't a super serious competitive rider I would recommend this system.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=224988

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 10:39 Quote
Sayshell wrote:
finnvink wrote:
Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^^^ That is right. Freecoaster hubs suck for trials. However there is a solution

Run a 9/6 speed with a neutral gear. Works like a dream.

This way works extremely good. I have been using it for a couple months, it's never snagged or had any issues. i do street trials. Though running gears is questionable in the world of trials, the modern 1X9 clutched narrow wide with e-bike chain in my opinion is just about trials ready. Just needs a strong derailleur hanger and good to go. I am manufacturing a universal strong hanger with a break away bolt. I think this combined with box 2 will eliminate the need to go single speed. Ryan Leech used to do crazy stuff on the old junk 1X9 drivetrain, so I figure all the modern tech is worth giving it another go. Overall I love gears, it's way more fun. If you aren't a super serious competitive rider I would recommend this system.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=224988

Read the other thread - very cool idea and implementation, with the added benefit of having more "cruising" gears for getting around, and being able to shift to the power gears for trials activities, or go to the "freecoaster" when you want/need.

To the OP - I think I heard somewhere that Ali only ran that freecoaster for about 2 days before retiring it. Engagement just takes too long. I know the freecoaster on my DJ takes almost a quarter-crank before it engages.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009688
Mobile Version of Website