Chain falls off when peddle backwards. Help !

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Chain falls off when peddle backwards. Help !
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 14:45 Quote
Hi everyone

Recently been gifted my brothers old mountain bike so I can finally exercise. The bike is old And he did very little maintenance on it. The only think I knew he changed was the bash guard ( think that’s what it’s called )

Apart from that it’s all as it came the day he bought it. I know it’s a giant stp 2 frame with stock parts.

When I move the pedals backwards when I first get on the chain slips off towards the bike. This also happens when moving the bike backwards without me peddling.

When riding the bike the chain stays on. It’s only if the bike moves slightly backwards that it falls off.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

I haven’t been on a bike of any kind since I was a child and know nothing about mountain bikes or what the parts are even called. Complete noob here so any replies please speak to me as a child. Someone tried to help on another sight and baffled me with tech speak and I hadn’t a clue what they were suggesting.

Many thanks

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 4:56 Quote
Worn-suzuki wrote:
Hi everyone

Recently been gifted my brothers old mountain bike so I can finally exercise. The bike is old And he did very little maintenance on it. The only think I knew he changed was the bash guard ( think that’s what it’s called )

Apart from that it’s all as it came the day he bought it. I know it’s a giant stp 2 frame with stock parts.

When I move the pedals backwards when I first get on the chain slips off towards the bike. This also happens when moving the bike backwards without me peddling.

When riding the bike the chain stays on. It’s only if the bike moves slightly backwards that it falls off.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

I haven’t been on a bike of any kind since I was a child and know nothing about mountain bikes or what the parts are even called. Complete noob here so any replies please speak to me as a child. Someone tried to help on another sight and baffled me with tech speak and I hadn’t a clue what they were suggesting.

Many thanks
Can be many things, badly setup gears, not enough tension on chain, worn casette, chainrings, chain itself etc. Regarding you non-existing knowledge would suggest to take it to nearest LBS, they will help you gladly Big Grin

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 7:24 Quote
Thank you for your message
Since posting I’ve been trying my best to read up on basic bike maintenance. From what I’ve learned I’ve since adjusted this little wheel underneath the chainring. It’s tightened the chain and stopped it from jumping.

Next problem now it the gears clearly not aligned properly. I’m reading about indexing them ? Changing this toggle on the derailleur. All this is new to me but giving it a go Smile

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004812
Mobile Version of Website