SB150 or Megatower for Enduro/Park Riding

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
SB150 or Megatower for Enduro/Park Riding
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 20:29 Quote
I’m looking to get a long travel 29 enduro bike and the Megatower and SB150 have been the bikes i’m most interested in. Wondering which one could be better for playfulness but also enduro racing as i’m looking to start. Also wondering if there are any other bikes that might fit the category

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 21:08 Quote
Having ridden both, the SB 150 climbs better and has less brake jack, while also maintaining a better platform for pumping.

Megatower takes it for all-out sensitivity and traction, and I also thought it had more neutral handling.

Personally? I'd take the 150. I like the race-y feel

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 21:18 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
Having ridden both, the SB 150 climbs better and has less brake jack, while also maintaining a better platform for pumping.

Megatower takes it for all-out sensitivity and traction, and I also thought it had more neutral handling.

That’s what i’ve heard. Did you ride the megatower with the coil or air shock?

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:15 Quote
Ben-Hoppe wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:

Rode the Megatower with the coil and the SB150 with the Float X2. I realize that at least some of the ride characteristics between the two were affected by coil/air differences. That said, even with the LSC switch on the mega's coil turned most of the way closed, and a fair amount of spring preload, it still didn't match the support of the Yeti. Since there was only 1 spacer in the shock on the Yeti, and since I was able to run the hsc and lsc wide open, I'm inclined to believe that it's inherently more supportive.

If weight's not an issue, I think the 150 with a coil would be the best of both worlds. With something like an EXT Storia or a Push on it......damn.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 0:09 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
Ben-Hoppe wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:

Rode the Megatower with the coil and the SB150 with the Float X2. I realize that at least some of the ride characteristics between the two were affected by coil/air differences. That said, even with the LSC switch on the mega's coil turned most of the way closed, and a fair amount of spring preload, it still didn't match the support of the Yeti. Since there was only 1 spacer in the shock on the Yeti, and since I was able to run the hsc and lsc wide open, I'm inclined to believe that it's inherently more supportive.

If weight's not an issue, I think the 150 with a coil would be the best of both worlds. With something like an EXT Storia or a Push on it......damn.
Yeah that would be a sick ride. Did you find the yeti to be a bit more playful or just fast and racey?

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 0:15 Quote
The megatower has the option of running a cascade link if you really wanna bike park it. Just sayin'.

Everyone who's touched one seems to be losing their minds over that new enduro. I haven't touched one myself but people seem to like it plenty.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 0:30 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
The megatower has the option of running a cascade link if you really wanna bike park it. Just sayin'.

Everyone who's touched one seems to be losing their minds over that new enduro. I haven't touched one myself but people seem to like it plenty.
Yeah i’ve definitely heard good things about the enduro, i’ll definitely look into it more tho. thanks

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 10:22 Quote
Ben-Hoppe wrote:
Yeah that would be a sick ride. Did you find the yeti to be a bit more playful or just fast and racey?

Playful means different things to different people, so hard to say. It's definitely fast and race-y, but I also felt like it made better overall use of the energy I put into it. It also just wants to go fast all the time.

The MT is a softer ride, but is also easier to live with on mellow terrain (downhill).

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
I've taken a few laps on the Mega and two laps on the SB 150, so it's not like I have a great data set. That said, I got to demo the new Slayer and the new Enduro last summer and I'd say both are worth your time. Personally, out of those four bikes, for pure bike park use and racing I'd go:
1) Enduro
2)Slayer
3)SB 150
4)Mega

But with the Mega you do have the option to throw the Cascade Components link in it as mentioned.

The Enduro pedaled shockingly well wide open (as well as any of the VPP low link bikes I've ridden) and is by far the closest feeling to a real DH bike I've ever ridden.

Rocky was in one of the higher and steeper settings when I rode it, so it's hard to really say, but it did feel like less of a plush plow-able bike than the Enduro to me. But the build on the C50 model is so sweet, especially compared to Specialized's BS builds.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
bemorestoked wrote:
I've taken a few laps on the Mega and two laps on the SB 150, so it's not like I have a great data set. That said, I got to demo the new Slayer and the new Enduro last summer and I'd say both are worth your time. Personally, out of those four bikes, for pure bike park use and racing I'd go:
1) Enduro
2)Slayer
3)SB 150
4)Mega

But with the Mega you do have the option to throw the Cascade Components link in it as mentioned.

The Enduro pedaled shockingly well wide open (as well as any of the VPP low link bikes I've ridden) and is by far the closest feeling to a real DH bike I've ever ridden.

Rocky was in one of the higher and steeper settings when I rode it, so it's hard to really say, but it did feel like less of a plush plow-able bike than the Enduro to me. But the build on the C50 model is so sweet, especially compared to Specialized's BS builds.
Yeah the specialized builds are definitely way to expensive. I’ll check the slayer out tho thanks.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 18:08 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
Ben-Hoppe wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:

Was the coil on the Megatower the correct spring rate for you though? I feel like having to run the LSC so firm sounds like the spring rate was too soft.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 21:22 Quote
My wife has a mega. Great Bike. Pedals great so if you found it wasn't so, it probably means you had too much sag. When I test rode the mega, I found it to be a very neutral bike. You can ride it fast, slow, however you want. I get the impression the sb150 is not so easy going but great if you're pinning it.

Also, santacruz makes bomber frames and gives you free bearings for life, which is a good deal if you are spending much time in the park.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 21:31 Quote
rahrider wrote:
My wife has a mega. Great Bike. Pedals great so if you found it wasn't so, it probably means you had too much sag. When I test rode the mega, I found it to be a very neutral bike. You can ride it fast, slow, however you want. I get the impression the sb150 is not so easy going but great if you're pinning it.

Also, santacruz makes bomber frames and gives you free bearings for life, which is a good deal if you are spending much time in the park.
Yeah the santacruz quality and lifetime warranty is definitely a big selling point, and as much as i wanna ride the park everyday i’m not even sure if they’re gonna open this year so i’m gonna need something that i can pedal decently well.

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 0:17 Quote
been on a MT for 1 year now and love the bike. started with coil in low setting and ended up now with RS air, 3 volume spacers in high geo -> best compromise of the 2 worlds and I am super happy how it rides. i felt a good difference by switching to High i n terms of playfulness and snappyness.
did 2 enduro races (but i am not the fastest out there) and I love everything from super tech steep downhills to flowy bikepark jumptrails.
when I switched from a M firebird 27.5 to the 29 MT in L, I was so surprised how playful I could ride this thing. I just feel super comfortable on it.
here is a short jump vid from morzine Bikepark. I had the best time on a bike last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tUP-6Axkco

I think you'd be happy with either bike. they are pretty close. demoing would be cool for an initial yes or no effect maybe.

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 1:02 Quote
Fufi7 wrote:
been on a MT for 1 year now and love the bike. started with coil in low setting and ended up now with RS air, 3 volume spacers in high geo -> best compromise of the 2 worlds and I am super happy how it rides. i felt a good difference by switching to High i n terms of playfulness and snappyness.
did 2 enduro races (but i am not the fastest out there) and I love everything from super tech steep downhills to flowy bikepark jumptrails.
when I switched from a M firebird 27.5 to the 29 MT in L, I was so surprised how playful I could ride this thing. I just feel super comfortable on it.
here is a short jump vid from morzine Bikepark. I had the best time on a bike last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tUP-6Axkco

I think you'd be happy with either bike. they are pretty close. demoing would be cool for an initial yes or no effect maybe.
Sick video, I’m trying to demo both but with everything going on right now it’s pretty hard. Thanks for the info

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005824
Mobile Version of Website