Modern geo fat bike

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Modern geo fat bike
O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 4:33 Quote
I also wanted a fat bike that is more "modern" than what is offered. I ended up with something similar to a modern trail bike in geo. Fat bikes in general are more stable than bike with smaller tires so going too far with this is not a good idea.
I would peg fat bikes ride like they are about 2* slacker than a bike running normal mountain bike tires, but most far bikes still need a longer reach than they come with to help with rider stability on the bike and to help create that in the bike feel.

For these reasons I went with a custom Ti frame from China. My basic geo is 67* head angle, 75* seattube, 440mm chainstay, 485mm reach, 665mm stack, and 665mm toptube. Because I'm full custom I got 200mm post mount so no need for adapters.

I would consider this about equal too an XXL bike from most companies and should ride pretty aggressively.

Once it is here in a few weeks and built up I will post back with some initial impressions.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
Kona woo or wozo.... But not the wo, the geo is completely different on that model.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
zeronine3 wrote:
Kona woo or wozo...

The wozo has a pretty steep hta. Need to look at the geo chart carefully. Kona doesn’t show the measurements at sag and uses 531mm for the fork length to get the hta angle. However, the bike comes with a 511mm a2c mastodon fork, so right off the bat, that makes the static hta a degree steeper, so really 69.5* static. Then with sag, you need to steepen then by another degree to compare to other fat bikes that show their geo at sag.

So really, the wozo has a 70.5* head tube angle when compared apples to apples to other fat bikes. That is not even close to modern. Kona also discontinued the wozo.

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
Hi guys, I was looking for the same (trail geo fat bike) and settled on a Pole Taiga frame.
Here's a custom built bike, size XL frame with 120mm Mastodon EXT in all its glory (unfortunately not mine):

photo

Mind you it's not available until 2021 autumn...

check the geo here:

https://polebicycles.com/polestore/product/taiga

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 20:20 Quote
My only real issue with this bike is its REALLY long chainstays (470mm). The reach on the one I'm getting made has a shorter reach as I do plan on running a stem that is about 50-60mm to help keep more pressure on the front tire and my chainstays are going to be 440mm.

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 2:00 Quote
I partially agree. 470mm seems to be a lot, but I'm willing to give it a go. Currently I have 440m chainstays on my fatbike and on some local steep climbs I frequently visit it's just too short. I read some reviews on Taiga and while they mentioned the long c.stays it didn't seem like a real problem there.
I'm also fond of very short stems (32-35mm), so the base 510mm reach is perfect for me.

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 4:54 Quote
Sounds good for you then! On my Enduro bike I have a 515mm reach and 450mm chainstay. For that bikes purpose it's about perfect for me. My fat bike is my trail bike as well for being more nimble is key for me, bit I definitely wanted something much more aggressive than a standard fat bikes geo. If my fat bike was my only mountain then I would have gone longer in both reach and stays and probably a touch slacker as well more similar to the Pole.

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 5:39 Quote
Yea, seems like I'll have it the other way around Big Grin
My enduro rig is going to be the nimble one between this two: 435 stays and 485 reach

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 19:35 Quote
gvasvari wrote:
Hi guys, I was looking for the same (trail geo fat bike) and settled on a Pole Taiga frame.
Here's a custom built bike, size XL frame with 120mm Mastodon EXT in all its glory (unfortunately not mine):

photo

Mind you it's not available until 2021 autumn...

check the geo here:

https://polebicycles.com/polestore/product/taiga

Drool that is a gorgeous build. Congrats. Be sure to follow up with your riding impressions.

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 23:44 Quote
Nah, it's not mine (as I wrote above the pic). I'm still waiting for the frame, promised around 2021 autumn Cry

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 18:56 Quote
I am having the same dilemma currently as I figure out where to put my money for 2022 fat bikes. I am torn between the more conservative Norco Bigfoot (Size L - 470 reach, 74 seat tube, 1190 WB, 440 CS, and 69 HTA) and the Rocky Mountain Blizzard (Size L - 475 reach, 73.5 seat tube, 1230WB, 455 CS, and 66 HTA). My current bike is an enduro bike (Reign 29 with 65 HTA, 1260 WB, and 440 CS) so I was assuming the Blizzard would just feel super natural to jump on. Is this the case? As I have been reaching out for advice, some riders have said the RM Blizzard went too far with its geo and front wheel washouts/length of the wheelbase in corners is annoying for riding that isn't at blistering/steep speeds. It seems silly that I'd go for a 69 degree Norco when the RM basically matches my current bike, but does Enduro geo actually work in the snow? I know its not a perfect example, but when I take the Reign out in the snow, it is super long for most paths, needs to get up to speed to have a good time, etc. I also wonder if riding over the front wheel like I do with suspension will be very fun on a rigid bike... anyone compare these two or have any advice? Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 21:23 Quote
In between the two the bigfoot is going to be a lot more more peppy and will feel better in slow speed corners while the Blizzard will feel more planted and stable. Of the two I would probably go with the Blizzard as I ride my fat bike as a trail bike first, and if there is snow out that is a sided benefit. Washing out the front wheel on a fat bike only really happened on really marblely dirt and I dont think the headtube angle will matter much for that. Hardtail bike in general feel more peppy than a full suspension bike. Tough call and one of the majors reasons I went for a custom frame for my fat bike.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 7:28 Quote
Here's a fattie with modern geo that's made in the USA. Anybody here have any experience with them?

https://wyattbikes.com/shop/bikes/fat-bikes/maverick/

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
You could also buy a Caynon Dude or Frame Alaska. I know they have 68.5 HT and 73ST but you could buy angle set and bring them to the future with a 66.5 HT and 75ST

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 6:20 Quote
Tom-M910 wrote:
Here's a fattie with modern geo that's made in the USA. Anybody here have any experience with them?

https://wyattbikes.com/shop/bikes/fat-bikes/maverick/

That looks very up to date indeed! Good for you in the US :-D

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014721
Mobile Version of Website