Modern geo fat bike

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Modern geo fat bike
Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
You could also buy a Caynon Dude or Frame Alaska. I know they have 68.5 HT and 73ST but you could buy angle set and bring them to the future with a 66.5 HT and 75ST

I disagree, the Dude has a short/tall frame, so if you're after decent reach numbers then it's still not enough

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 16:30 Quote
schlockinz wrote:
E30m3 wrote:
Can't go wrong with the fatback skookum

True. Good 4 season bike. Rides like a trail bike in the summer, keeps up with the pure bred fatties in the winter.

I support this statement to the Nth degree

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 17:36 Quote
Went custom titanium.
65 deg HA with a Mastodon EXT 140
76.5 SA
660 effective top tube, 500 mm reach
445 - 465 mm CS
Rides great in the BC Rockies

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 18:19 Quote
martins wrote:
Went custom titanium.
76.5 SA
445 - 465 mm CS

Very Nice! I having something very similar made, what maker did you go with?

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 8:52 Quote
martins wrote:
Went custom titanium.
76.5 SA
445 - 465 mm CS

Very cool.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
pedalrepair wrote:
martins wrote:
Went custom titanium.
76.5 SA
445 - 465 mm CS

I went with Waltly, took a bit to deal with language barrier and clarify exactly what I wanted, but finished product came out well.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 15:19 Quote
martins wrote:
Went custom titanium.
76.5 SA
445 - 465 mm CS

Wow! One of the nicest custom builds that I have seen and I wish there were more modern "slack" fat bikes like this; the long travel fork is nice too. I have a 2021 Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20 that has a 66 HTA and a long reach (450mm in a medium), and it handles just like my Rocky Mountain Growler 40 trail bike. Super versatile and the Blizzard climbs extremely well and has a very comfortable riding position. Great all around bike.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 17:01 Quote
martins wrote:
pedalrepair wrote:
martins wrote:
Went custom titanium.
76.5 SA
445 - 465 mm CS

I went with Waltly, took a bit to deal with language barrier and clarify exactly what I wanted, but finished product came out well.

Nice, I was considering them but ended up going with XACD (they have about a hundred other names as well) for mine, mine is basically the same geo as yours but with 440mm chain stays and a 67* headtube.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 8:26 Quote
pedalrepair wrote:
martins wrote:
pedalrepair wrote:

Nice, I was considering them but ended up going with XACD (they have about a hundred other names as well) for mine, mine is basically the same geo as yours but with 440mm chain stays and a 67* headtube.

I'd really recommend going with sliding dropouts, I run 5" tires on 90 mm rims currently but also have the room to go 27.5 x 4.5 and 29 x 3.0 tires. Opens up future options.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
martins wrote:
pedalrepair wrote:
martins wrote:

I'd really recommend going with sliding dropouts, I run 5" tires on 90 mm rims currently but also have the room to go 27.5 x 4.5 and 29 x 3.0 tires. Opens up future options.

That's was the nice thing about the design I have is that I can fit 26x4.8 no problem but I will run 27.5x4 most of the time. I don't need the biggest of the big tires for my intended use but still have myself a fair amount of flexibility.

I've run into more problems with designing the head badges I want than the frame itself. Currently that's the only thing holding up the delivery of the frame.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 20:02 Quote
pedalrepair wrote:
martins wrote:
pedalrepair wrote:

That's was the nice thing about the design I have is that I can fit 26x4.8 no problem but I will run 27.5x4 most of the time. I don't need the biggest of the big tires for my intended use but still have myself a fair amount of flexibility.

I've run into more problems with designing the head badges I want than the frame itself. Currently that's the only thing holding up the delivery of the frame.
Fair enough, we get 30 feet of snow on average so floatation is important here.
Designing the graphics is half the fun, for the head tube I went with the mountains behind my house.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 0:14 Quote
martins wrote:
Went custom titanium.
76.5 SA
445 - 465 mm CS

Wow very nice :-D you seem like a tall guy judging by that dropper height :-)
I also ended up with a custom frame, although I reached to Nicolai for it.
May I ask the price range of these titanium frames?

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 4:57 Quote
gvasvari wrote:
martins wrote:
Went custom titanium.
76.5 SA
445 - 465 mm CS

Definitely a tall guy I'm about 196cm and have nearly identical geo and will be running a 210mm dropper on mine.

Also for reference mine cost me about $1500 frame and fork but options and specs can change the price significantly up and down.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 5:40 Quote
pedalrepair wrote:
Also for reference mine cost me about $1500 frame and fork but options and specs can change the price significantly up and down.

oh that's cheap for a custom Ti frame! tup

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 17:46 Quote
gvasvari wrote:
martins wrote:
Went custom titanium.
76.5 SA
445 - 465 mm CS

Yeah, I'm 192 cm, running a 9point8 200 mm dropper. Frame only with shipping is approx $1200 US ish... Hard to say exactly because a friend and I both ordered bikes so shipping was same price for 2 frames as for 1.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010657
Mobile Version of Website