Modern geo fat bike

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Modern geo fat bike
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 16:12 Quote
I have been searching for a Kona Woo frame. It has a longer reach than most with a 69deg HTA with a 518 reach on the XL (L is 483 reach). This is with a 515 fork length. Can run a longer fork and go slacker if you want without getting too short in reach, though BB drop is 55, so that comes up. I don't mind a higher BB tho.
They also have adjustable dropouts that can go down to 420, which is cool.
I also think it's clean looking with plenty of rack mounts (if that's your thing).
I just wish I could find one Frown

I do a lot of deep snow descending, so I'm experimenting with geo. I feel like I want a shorter CS length and slacker HTA to be able to plow a bit better. And have a longer reach to be able to better shift my weight around. More classic geo bikes seem too short and hard to keep the front wheel rolling on top. I feel like too low of a BB will drag in the deep stuff, but I'm not sure 10mm would really be so noticeable in that case.

I'm definitely not an expert on Fatbikes, but am really curios to experiment more.

The Wyatt Maverick looks close to what I want! So does the Pole, but adding a suspension fork might totally put the geo in a weird spot.

It's cool to read everyone's thoughts on here. There are mine, a bit scattered.

Posted: Jun 4, 2021 at 15:28 Quote
Justfuzzit wrote:
I have been searching for a Kona Woo frame. It has a longer reach than most with a 69deg HTA with a 518 reach on the XL (L is 483 reach). This is with a 515 fork length. Can run a longer fork and go slacker if you want without getting too short in reach, though BB drop is 55, so that comes up. I don't mind a higher BB tho.
They also have adjustable dropouts that can go down to 420, which is cool.
I also think it's clean looking with plenty of rack mounts (if that's your thing).
I just wish I could find one Frown

I do a lot of deep snow descending, so I'm experimenting with geo. I feel like I want a shorter CS length and slacker HTA to be able to plow a bit better. And have a longer reach to be able to better shift my weight around. More classic geo bikes seem too short and hard to keep the front wheel rolling on top. I feel like too low of a BB will drag in the deep stuff, but I'm not sure 10mm would really be so noticeable in that case.

I'm definitely not an expert on Fatbikes, but am really curios to experiment more.

The Wyatt Maverick looks close to what I want! So does the Pole, but adding a suspension fork might totally put the geo in a weird spot.

It's cool to read everyone's thoughts on here. There are mine, a bit scattered.

I got a Woo this past fall, didn't ride it as much as I wanted through the winter but it is a great bike. Geo feels very similar in reach to my trail bike, and if I can get a 29er wheelset laced up soon I plan on throwing a 120mm suspension fork on it, maybe an angleset headset to slack it out a little bit, ditching the 12sp drivetrain and running it singlespeed. Also running a dropper post and it feel lightyears ahead of my buddy's fatbike. The short chainstays feel amazing and can wheelie super well, but didn't feel unstable at all on snowy descents.
As it sits with 4.8" tires and rigid fork it makes for a pretty good trail bike on xc trails. I'm not gonna call it an XC bike because it is pretty slow and sluggish, but would make for a great backpacking bike with the right tires.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 1:31 Quote
Finally finished my own version of modern geo fatbike.
Custom Nicolai frame and some more goodies ;-)

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 6:04 Quote
gvasvari wrote:

Looks awesome.
Details!

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 0:02 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
gvasvari wrote:
Looks awesome.
Details!

I decided on frame geometry numbers then worked with Nicolai to refine them. They created the final design and manufactured the frame itself.
Specs are for a 140mm Mastodon EXT unsagged
Reach 495
Top Tube 663
Seat tube 425
Chainstay 440-465 adjustable
BB drop 60
Wheelbase 1305
Head angle 63
Seat angle 76

Used their DH-spec downtube with head tube reinforcement so the frame is ready for dual crown forks with 36mm stanchions (thinking of a Dorado with custom crowns)

Currently running a 27,5" LB wheelset (DT hubs) with a 4,5" Gnarwhal/Barbegazi set on almost the shortest chainstay setting. It has enough clearance for dry conditions. I have a set of 3,8" Minions and also a 26" Sun Mulefut wheelset for mud/snow if needed.
For the LB rims I asked some reinforcement: two additional layers on the back and on on the front. I also started experimenting with a fat version of procore. I'll update when it's ready.

There is a fun steep, loose fast 1-1,5min descent on my local lap I visit frequently. Here you have to modulate your speed almost all the way down to keep things under control. It is brutal on the brakes. So I needed those large rotors for heat management. Brakes are SLX levers with Magura MT7 calipers, Goodridge hoses.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 8:03 Quote
gvasvari wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:
gvasvari wrote:
Looks awesome.
Details!

I decided on frame geometry numbers then worked with Nicolai to refine them. They created the final design and manufactured the frame itself.
Specs are for a 140mm Mastodon EXT unsagged
Reach 495
Top Tube 663
Seat tube 425
Chainstay 440-465 adjustable
BB drop 60
Wheelbase 1305
Head angle 63
Seat angle 76

Used their DH-spec downtube with head tube reinforcement so the frame is ready for dual crown forks with 36mm stanchions (thinking of a Dorado with custom crowns)

Currently running a 27,5" LB wheelset (DT hubs) with a 4,5" Gnarwhal/Barbegazi set on almost the shortest chainstay setting. It has enough clearance for dry conditions. I have a set of 3,8" Minions and also a 26" Sun Mulefut wheelset for mud/snow if needed.
For the LB rims I asked some reinforcement: two additional layers on the back and on on the front. I also started experimenting with a fat version of procore. I'll update when it's ready.

There is a fun steep, loose fast 1-1,5min descent on my local lap I visit frequently. Here you have to modulate your speed almost all the way down to keep things under control. It is brutal on the brakes. So I needed those large rotors for heat management. Brakes are SLX levers with Magura MT7 calipers, Goodridge hoses.

So Good! Thx for the breakdown.

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
gvasvari wrote:

Wow! That thing looks amazing, I really like those geo numbers. It would be nice if the big manufacturers would do something similar, I'm annoyed that most seem to have completely stopped refining their frames (if they even still make them).

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
gvasvari wrote:

This build deserves more pics. Give us some frame and component closeups. I need my fix Wink

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 2:52 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
gvasvari wrote:

This build deserves more pics. Give us some frame and component closeups. I need my fix Wink

OK, this week I'll have some hydraulic fittings made in a local shop to finish up the shifting line of the Rotor RD. Then I'll make some closeup pics ;-)

Posted: Jun 29, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
gvasvari wrote:
OK, this week I'll have some hydraulic fittings made in a local shop to finish up the shifting line of the Rotor RD. Then I'll make some closeup pics ;-)
Sorry, forgot to mention: I had to tear down the shifter unit and brake calipers for exact measurements so that's why there won't be close up pics until the fittings are done.

Some more info until then:

The bike rides fantastic. The geometry and wide stance (Q-factor) make it super stable. Traction is unquestionable. Big tires eat trail chatter for breakfast and also provide enough cushion for smaller drops I have around my local trails.
I'm terrible at manuals so can't report on that but it's not hard to hop around. The very low standover also makes it a joy leaning into turns.

Only downside is that its a bit harder to pedal but I don't have time for all day epics anyway so it doesn't matter for me.

I was thinking about putting a modified Dorado fork to the front since when I started experimenting with the Mastodon on a Trek Farley I found that its very flexible under hard braking. Thanks to the tall and stiff headtube of this frame, the wobble was gone even before I've put a stiffmaster in place of the upper headset.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012678
Mobile Version of Website