Internal Routing Meta TR29

PB Forum :: Commencal
Internal Routing Meta TR29
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 19:55 Quote
I have a new meta tr29 on the way and this is my first frame with internal routing. Has anyone had any experience with this frame? Is it worhwhile to buy the park tool routing tool, or is this a simple job without it? Thanks for any advice.

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 18:14 Quote
I have never used the park tool system but I have routed cable through the meta tr 29. Just make sure to use the foam on the cables to prevent rattle and start pushing them in at the smaller end. When you get it you'll see one end of the frame uses a smaller plug this goes in first then feed in through this end. The one thing I will say is the kit might help for the seatpost as that is a nightmare full of hair pulling to get in and around the awkward kink. I have an XL frame too.

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 18:22 Quote
Thanks for the advice! I've managed to stay away from internal routing for a long time. Hopefully this won't be to painful. I have some very strong magnets, I may try to rig up my on own version of the park tool kit and save myself a few bucks.

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
Any advice on get the dropper cable in? Struggling getting it through to the downtube.

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 9:51 Quote
CheesecakeJake wrote:
Any advice on get the dropper cable in? Struggling getting it through to the downtube.
I got my frame today and started with routing the dropper. If you remove the rubber guard on the downtube there is a hole between the bottom threaded hole and the 2 threaded holes that hold the guard on. I inserted the housing in this hole and worked it up the seat tube, then once it was all the way thru I was able to put the other end thru the same hole and push it towards the headtube and out of the routing hole. It took a few minutes to get the housing past the linkage bolts going thru the seat tube but otherwise it wasn't to bad. I hope this helps.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 18:25 Quote
CheesecakeJake wrote:

i've never needed to use a magnet, always apprehensive to possibly scratching paint!

-There is an access hole on the underside of the bottom bracket, around a nickel size in diameter.

-Feed the cable housing UP through this until it protrudes a good few inches OUT of the top of the seat tube.

-Insert the dropper cable through the cable housing from the seat tube end, all the way until the ferrule, which means you should have a good few feet of dropper cable past the cable housing in the downtube.

-As you are feeding the cable through, look through the open cable port on the down tube with a flash light and a set of small Kocker Clamps (surgical tool, but some auto parts stores carry them, extremely useful here).

-From here you can pull the cable and the housing through the port together. Then, take out the cable and cut the cable housing to length, then re insert the cable attached to the dropper post and finish the job.

Hope this helps!

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 18:27 Quote
Simann wrote:
CheesecakeJake wrote:

i've never needed to use a magnet, always apprehensive to possibly scratching paint!

-There is an access hole on the underside of the bottom bracket, around a nickel size in diameter.

-Feed the cable housing UP through this until it protrudes a good few inches OUT of the top of the seat tube.

-Insert the dropper cable through the cable housing from the seat tube end, all the way until the ferrule, which means you should have a good few feet of dropper cable past the cable housing in the downtube.

-As you are feeding the cable through, look through the open cable port on the down tube with a flash light and a set of small Kocker Clamps (surgical tool, but some auto parts stores carry them, extremely useful here).

-From here you can pull the cable and the housing through the port together. Then, take out the cable and cut the cable housing to length, then re insert the cable attached to the dropper post and finish the job.

Hope this helps!

Cheers for the advice, I didn't know about the little hole under the bashguard! got it through pretty easily after that

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 4:25 Quote
Ive been struggling for ages to get the housing past the linkage bolt, no matter what I try it just wont seem to get through. Any tips as this is driving me mad ????

leeazjr wrote:
CheesecakeJake wrote:
I got my frame today and started with routing the dropper. If you remove the rubber guard on the downtube there is a hole between the bottom threaded hole and the 2 threaded holes that hold the guard on. I inserted the housing in this hole and worked it up the seat tube, then once it was all the way thru I was able to put the other end thru the same hole and push it towards the headtube and out of the routing hole. It took a few minutes to get the housing past the linkage bolts going thru the seat tube but otherwise it wasn't to bad. I hope this helps.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 5:36 Quote
Ok so I figured out a way! if you thread the cable through the linkage and out of the seat tube then pull it tight, then thread the casing over that and it works as a guide to help you get it through. Was still a battle as it just seemed to constantly jam but worked in the end.

Might be helpful to anyone else struggling as this is one of the top results that shows up in searches.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 14:43 Quote
crezo1 wrote:
Ok so I figured out a way! if you thread the cable through the linkage and out of the seat tube then pull it tight, then thread the casing over that and it works as a guide to help you get it through. Was still a battle as it just seemed to constantly jam but worked in the end.

Might be helpful to anyone else struggling as this is one of the top results that shows up in searches.

I’ve been struggling with this for about 2hours.
Did you go up through the down tube with the cable?
I can’t seem to get it to go anywhere. Once I get it through the small hole in the bottom of the seat tube it just gets stuck.
TIA

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 14:34 Quote
I just got a new 2021 meta tr polished alloy frame. Got to dropper and was completely stumped even after reading everything i could. I used vacuum cleaner + thread technique :-) here are steps i took:

1. Remove plastic protection/armor on bottom tube. As mentioned above opens access to port.

2. From here if you shine a torch down the seat tube you will see a small opening inside which leads into the bottom of seat tube from below. If youre lucky maybe you could feed either an inner cable through or outer immediately through the hole in bottom of seat tube but i couldnt due to the sharp angles involved

3. Attach a vacuum hose to top of seat tube. I sealed it on with a tonne of electrical tape. I used a dyson with all attachements removed and literally mass sticky taped the whole vacuum unit to top of seat tube! Turn on vacuum cleaner you should feel decent suction from bottom port! (Be sure to seal with tape the slit at top of seat tube where seat post collar attaches)

4. Take a long piece of sewing thread and feed into bottom port. Turn on vacuum cleaner, thread will pull through into seat tube and out top of seat tube. I then had to remove vacuum and tada i have a thread following path through from bottom port all way out the top of seat tube.

5. Take bottom end of thread and tie to a piece of shifter/ inner cable. I had a long spare cable which still had a metal knob on one end (whatever its called) i tied a knot with thread around the knob on shifter cable which held a good tension. (If you wanted i guess could suck through multiple threads for better strength if needed. Ie tie 3 threads to cable)

6. Gently feed the starting end of inner cable with thread attached up through bottom port and into small hole at bottom of seat tube. Then take the thread at top of seat tube and gently pull the cable through. To my surprise i didnt catch on anything (even with the metal knob on end of cable) and it pulled right up to seat tube. Yay!

7. Now you want to attach an outer cable to the inner cable. I simply used really strong duct tape but could use electrical tape too i guess. I simply lay in parallel a 15cm length of inner cable next to outer cable and taped together as best i could without making it too stiff and bulky.

8. Gently push the taped starting end of outer cable again up through bottom port into opening in bottom of down tube. Now VERY GENTLY pull shift cable from top of seat tube. It SHOULD hold with the tape. My inner cable actually started to slip right at last minute but luckily i already had the outer cable through into seat tube and could grab it

Success!

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 22:40 Quote
The only thing im confused by, what is the point of the top tube entry port? The top right hole/port. I have it sealed up with a blank rubber grommet

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 8:48 Quote
wired00 wrote:
The only thing im confused by, what is the point of the top tube entry port? The top right hole/port. I have it sealed up with a blank rubber grommet

For lock out for rear suspension if anyone ever did that. Cable would only be internal for about 10cm though.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
wired00 wrote:
I just got a new 2021 meta tr polished alloy frame. Got to dropper and was completely stumped even after reading everything i could. I used vacuum cleaner + thread technique :-) here are steps i took: (blah blah blah)
Success!

Thanks for the time and effort man!
I've ordered a new cable and outer from Jagwire which is 1mm thinner and meant to be more flexible purely for dropper posts.
Hopefully that helps.
So as soon as it arrives i'll give the vacuum idea a go.

2 weekends without a dropper has killed me. I don't know how people do it!?

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 5:55 Quote
leeazjr wrote:

Thanks so much! Just build one from scratch and you saved me hours of crying!

I also removed the seatpost pivot axis and you can see the cable through it. It helped :-)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011533
Mobile Version of Website