Analysis Paralysis - Just need a litle guidance on a few gravel bikes

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Analysis Paralysis - Just need a litle guidance on a few gravel bikes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
Hey all, yes another "first gravel/adventure bike" thread. I typically mtb but am looking for something that I can ride road/forest service roads/light singletrack on from the house. I just have a couple of questions as I'm not super familiar with all of the road groupsets/components. Coming from the mtb world I was leaning toward the Apex drivetrain but most bikes I'm seeing this are a little out of my budget of 1k-1200. I've been riding gravel on my old Specialized Sequoia (1982) but I am wanting something that shifts more efficient, brakes better, can taking larger 45c tires, and doesn't sound like a cowbell going down the trail. Also a bike that still would be comfortable for some lighter bikepacking tours would be nice.

Some bikes I was checking out:

Giant Revolt 2 - Sora groupset, Giant Conduct Hydraulic brakes

Marin Gestalt X10 - Apex shifter/brake lever, SRAM GX10 derailleur, Sunrace 10 cassette, Tektro MD disc brakes,

Felt Broam 40 - Tiagra shifters/derailleurs, TRP HY/RD cable actuated hydraulic brakes, Devox and FSA components elsewhere

Salsa Journeyman 700x - Sora shifter/derailleur, sunrace cassette, promax mech disk brakes

Trek Checkpoint AL3 - Sora groupset, tektro mech disc brakes

Would a road/gravel noob be able to tell the difference. I think the biggest thing is a lack of a granny gear on the Marin, but when it comes to Sora vs. Tiagra is there any noticeable shifting difference? I understand the 9 vs 10 thing. Any information is appreciated, cheers!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008008
Mobile Version of Website