Ripmo V2 sizing

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo V2 sizing
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 17, 2020 at 18:49 Quote
I'm 5'10" and 215 lbs. I tend to ride aggressive, but I'm a 40 yo dad with a gut and I like to cover miles too. The Ripmo V1 size Large has been at the top of my list for over a year now. I like the travel, and the balance between pedaling efficiency and nimble/precise handling on the uphills, and stability on the downs. My only complaint with V1 was the lack of progression. A lot of people griped the HTA could be slacker, but it didn't bother me. But, bottoming out was pretty easy for me on big hits. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a V1 before V2 showed up. I love the idea of increased progression, but the geometry change has me worried that an L will be too sled like. Looking at specs, the wheelbase of the large V1 is closer to the wheelbase of the medium V2. Maybe that's a better choice for me?

I was all set to demo before deciding... then COVID hit, and now I'm stuck wondering. The increased progression on the V2 sounds great, but the geometry changes have me wondering what size to get, and I can't go out and test one. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
ThSlug wrote:
I'm 5'10" and 215 lbs. I tend to ride aggressive, but I'm a 40 yo dad with a gut and I like to cover miles too. The Ripmo V1 size Large has been at the top of my list for over a year now. I like the travel, and the balance between pedaling efficiency and nimble/precise handling on the uphills, and stability on the downs. My only complaint with V1 was the lack of progression. A lot of people griped the HTA could be slacker, but it didn't bother me. But, bottoming out was pretty easy for me on big hits. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a V1 before V2 showed up. I love the idea of increased progression, but the geometry change has me worried that an L will be too sled like. Looking at specs, the wheelbase of the large V1 is closer to the wheelbase of the medium V2. Maybe that's a better choice for me?

I was all set to demo before deciding... then COVID hit, and now I'm stuck wondering. The increased progression on the V2 sounds great, but the geometry changes have me wondering what size to get, and I can't go out and test one. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I'm guessing you have ridden a V1? I think lots of people run an X2 shock with volume reducers to make the V1 more progressive. You'll likely be able to score a deal on one right now too. V2s are a ways out still unless you find a shop with one in stock. Either one will do what you want though. V2 has a slacker HTA but I believe they lengthened the reach so you'd still ride a large. You don't fit a bike based on wheelbase and there are things you can do to change wheelbase on either bike (Works components headset) Also V2 won't feel like a sled as long as you keep an air shock on it. My AF feels like a sled but I have a Jade X coil.

Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
I'm guessing you have ridden a V1? I think lots of people run an X2 shock with volume reducers to make the V1 more progressive. You'll likely be able to score a deal on one right now too. V2s are a ways out still unless you find a shop with one in stock. Either one will do what you want though. V2 has a slacker HTA but I believe they lengthened the reach so you'd still ride a large. You don't fit a bike based on wheelbase and there are things you can do to change wheelbase on either bike (Works components headset) Also V2 won't feel like a sled as long as you keep an air shock on it. My AF feels like a sled but I have a Jade X coil.
Thanks for the reply, bd.
Yes, I spent a lot of time renting/demoing bikes last year, and the ripmo v1 was my top pick. I never had the time to dial in suspension on demo bikes though. I had planned to add spacers as you suggested until the V2 came out... though I'm open to other suggestions.

I realize wheelbase is not the only thing that matters, but the V2 sounds like a bigger bike in every way... though not dramatically so. But, the changes together (slacker HTA and longer top tube/reach) all contribute to a longer wheelbase, which is the biggest overall difference on the bike. In fact, as I said, the V1 Large is the same wheelbase as the V2 Medium. That difference seems like it will contribute to less maneuverability/nimble feel on the technical uphill sections. The V2 Medium is still fairly long at 460 reach.

I've ridden other slack bikes that feel like a sled, and IMO the bikes start feeling that way when the HTA dips under 65, and the wheelbase grows so much that it's hard to turn on a tight switchback. Though, I'm sure that's not the only factor. I haven't ridden many coils (not since the early 2000s), but I'm sure you're right about it. Between the two air shock options, most commenters I've read claim the DPX2 is more poppy than the x2. I've ridden bikes that had either, but never tested both on the same bike, so it's hard for me to comment. I figured I'd stick with the DPX2 and see if I can get it working well before thinking about upgrading.

I hand't considered a +1 angleset on the V2. That's an interesting idea. I have considered saving a few bucks and getting a v1, but the increased progression likely solves my only problem with the v1. If so, I'd be happy to pay the extra $500 if I can figure out which bike fits me.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 21:29 Quote
ThSlug wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, bd.
Yes, I spent a lot of time renting/demoing bikes last year, and the ripmo v1 was my top pick. I never had the time to dial in suspension on demo bikes though. I had planned to add spacers as you suggested until the V2 came out... though I'm open to other suggestions.

I realize wheelbase is not the only thing that matters, but the V2 sounds like a bigger bike in every way... though not dramatically so. But, the changes together (slacker HTA and longer top tube/reach) all contribute to a longer wheelbase, which is the biggest overall difference on the bike. In fact, as I said, the V1 Large is the same wheelbase as the V2 Medium. That difference seems like it will contribute to less maneuverability/nimble feel on the technical uphill sections. The V2 Medium is still fairly long at 460 reach.

I've ridden other slack bikes that feel like a sled, and IMO the bikes start feeling that way when the HTA dips under 65, and the wheelbase grows so much that it's hard to turn on a tight switchback. Though, I'm sure that's not the only factor. I haven't ridden many coils (not since the early 2000s), but I'm sure you're right about it. Between the two air shock options, most commenters I've read claim the DPX2 is more poppy than the x2. I've ridden bikes that had either, but never tested both on the same bike, so it's hard for me to comment. I figured I'd stick with the DPX2 and see if I can get it working well before thinking about upgrading.

I hand't considered a +1 angleset on the V2. That's an interesting idea. I have considered saving a few bucks and getting a v1, but the increased progression likely solves my only problem with the v1. If so, I'd be happy to pay the extra $500 if I can figure out which bike fits me.

For the progression issue on V1, read this thread. I thought of you Lol.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=218722

I think it would be easier to turn a V1 into a V2 rather than turn a V2 into a V1. The only thing it seems you don't like about the V1 is the lack of progression but I think the thread I posted above should solve your worry.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 12:52 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
For the progression issue on V1, read this thread. I thought of you Lol.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=218722

I think it would be easier to turn a V1 into a V2 rather than turn a V2 into a V1. The only thing it seems you don't like about the V1 is the lack of progression but I think the thread I posted above should solve your worry.
Thanks, bd.
Sounds like a common problem, and easily fixed with tokens... now I just have to find a good deal on a V1 somewhere... they seem to be just as difficult to find as the V2s right now.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008562
Mobile Version of Website