Izzo thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Izzo thread
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
Figured I would get an Izzo thread started. I ordered mine on Friday and cannot wait! I haven't ridden in about 20 years and just caught the bug again. I still have (and LOVE!) my 1989 Cannondale Red Shred, but never ridden an FS bike. Just pulled the trigger, site unseen! I actually ordered a Jeffsy on Thursday, but when I went to YT website on Friday and saw the Izzo, I switched my order. The Izzo will be leaps and bounds better than my old Red Shred and will allow me to get accustomed to FS bikes without going too crazy. Once I get a feel for FS and how I want to ride now (20 years older!), I will evaluate if I want to add a full-on DH bike, or maybe a slacker, longer travel enduro-type bike to the stable.

Looking forward to all things IZZO as they start to arrive on everyone's front porch!

Regards,

Jeff

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 23:52 Quote
Yea I’m in. It’ll be like a modern day Jeffsy mk1 but with better pedal efficiency.

I’ll probably throw on a -1 angleset and 140mm fox 36 or pike ultimate. Fox 34 too flexy for my riding style / weight (90kg)

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
Well, after obsessing compulsively since placing my order for the Izzo, I called and changed my order to a Jeffsy. I too am a large guy (6' 6", 200+#) and I think the Jeffsy will be a little more forgiving to my size and the types of trails I will be mostly riding around here. I hope that I do not regret my decision every time I start a grueling climb!

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 23:48 Quote
I also ordered one, to say I’m excited is an understatement. I’m 72kg and been riding a 130mm travel bike for a while, but it always felt overbuilt for me. I love that they’ve come from the XC angle rather than enduro-light POV. They’re not the first, I was also looking at NS and a few others, but the affordability tipped the balance.

I expect a 3kg weight drop compared to my current bike, I’ll be flying!

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 3:19 Quote
I have to say, it does look very enticing.
I have a Jeffsy 27 for 2 years now but since this came out I can't stop looking at it!
I have a few questions though about it:
- can I run normal grips with the twist shift?
- can I reverse the twist shift functionality so that I have to twist to lock it instead of the other way around?

also, I'm considering going a size down since this will be my second bike to accompany my 'long travel' 160mm Jeffsy..

looking forward to first impressions from you guys when you get your order!

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 6:06 Quote
Just noticed Small and Medium sizes have a Block-Lock headset.
Something to keep in mind that all publications missed since they got sizes large and up!

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 8:38 Quote
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
- can I run normal grips with the twist shift?
- can I reverse the twist shift functionality so that I have to twist to lock it instead of the other way around?

Grips, maybe, but the left will need cutting down so that will limit choice. I usually run Ergon so I’ll have to rethink that.

The twist can’t be revised, its natural position on the shock is closed so the twist pulls the cable to open it. Probably some will lock the shock open and drop the lockout functionality.

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
deadlyhifi wrote:
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
- can I run normal grips with the twist shift?
- can I reverse the twist shift functionality so that I have to twist to lock it instead of the other way around?

Grips, maybe, but the left will need cutting down so that will limit choice. I usually run Ergon so I’ll have to rethink that.

The twist can’t be revised, its natural position on the shock is closed so the twist pulls the cable to open it. Probably some will lock the shock open and drop the lockout functionality.


Ergon do grips for gripshift that might work .
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ergon-ga2-single-twist-shift-grips-2656578

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 18:17 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
Well, after obsessing compulsively since placing my order for the Izzo, I called and changed my order to a Jeffsy. I too am a large guy (6' 6", 200+#) and I think the Jeffsy will be a little more forgiving to my size and the types of trails I will be mostly riding around here. I hope that I do not regret my decision every time I start a grueling climb!

I think you made the right move. The Jeffsy is a terrific all-around rig and climbs fine. You'll appreciate the extra travel. It's perfect middle ground between not having enough and having too much.

fwiw, I'm 6'3" 225 and went from a short travel rig to a Capra 29 and don't regret it at all. Climbs fine for me.

Posted: Apr 23, 2020 at 6:31 Quote
col404 wrote:
Ergon do grips for gripshift that might work .
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ergon-ga2-single-twist-shift-grips-2656578

Yes! Thanks.

Posted: Apr 23, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
I have to say, it does look very enticing.
I have a Jeffsy 27 for 2 years now but since this came out I can't stop looking at it!
I have a few questions though about it:
- can I run normal grips with the twist shift?
- can I reverse the twist shift functionality so that I have to twist to lock it instead of the other way around?

also, I'm considering going a size down since this will be my second bike to accompany my 'long travel' 160mm Jeffsy..

looking forward to first impressions from you guys when you get your order!

Couldn't you run a standard remote lockout switch like a rockshox fork switch? Would need to have similar cable draw I guess, but pulling the lever would open the shock, locking when the release button is hit. This would also allow you to run a normal grip.

Posted: Apr 23, 2020 at 23:59 Quote
coolcabbage wrote:
Couldn't you run a standard remote lockout switch like a rockshox fork switch? Would need to have similar cable draw I guess, but pulling the lever would open the shock, locking when the release button is hit. This would also allow you to run a normal grip.

Good idea. I’ll see how I get on with the supplied twister but may give this a go. I was never a fan of gripshift.

I’m forever tweaking my seat height for the trail ahead, having another thing to deal with doesn’t appeal to me. This is all theory at the moment, we’ll see what it’s like in practice.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 5:09 Quote
So, like everyone else I got pretty excited when I saw the Izzo launch, but this has created a conundrum for me. I had settled on an Ibis Ripley v4 as my next steed. Being pretty light and no bean pole, it looked to hit the nail on the head for UK trails and the odd venture to Europe. Enter the Izzo, slightly more travel, capable of running 140 up front (as is the Ripley). Then add the killer value! I know YT has a massive following in the gravity sector, but that isn't really my game. I would love to see a head to head test with the Ripley. Any thoughts between these two?
I actually quite like the lockout option, for UK trails there is normally the unavoidable tarmac climb chucked in, so it's a nice option to have, although does seem old school (Probably why I like it)

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 5:43 Quote
RH75 wrote:
So, like everyone else I got pretty excited when I saw the Izzo launch, but this has created a conundrum for me. I had settled on an Ibis Ripley v4 as my next steed. Being pretty light and no bean pole, it looked to hit the nail on the head for UK trails and the odd venture to Europe. Enter the Izzo, slightly more travel, capable of running 140 up front (as is the Ripley). Then add the killer value! I know YT has a massive following in the gravity sector, but that isn't really my game. I would love to see a head to head test with the Ripley. Any thoughts between these two?
I actually quite like the lockout option, for UK trails there is normally the unavoidable tarmac climb chucked in, so it's a nice option to have, although does seem old school (Probably why I like it)

Same here, I was about to buy a ripley v4, but you can get a complete bike for £400 less than the ripley frame.

Also if you read the forums, the ripley frame quality is pretty poor. Its made in Vietnam instead of tiawan. The YT frame will be a lot better quality.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 11:41 Quote
I had noticed that the Ripley frames were made in Vietnam, but assumed Ibis would be pretty much on it from a quality pov. I would love to see how the 4 bar compares to dw link. I think overall it's going to come down to value for money, specs on the YT are very nice. PB should definitely do a head to head.

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006239
Mobile Version of Website