Is Shimano XTR 9100 compatable with SRAM GX 11speed?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Is Shimano XTR 9100 compatable with SRAM GX 11speed?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 8:15 Quote
I've got a 2016 11 speed Stumpjumper that has the GX shifters and derailer. Recently I changed the brakes due to my SRAM brakes failing and now out of warranty too. I installed Shimano XT 8100 brakes. I've gone out for some short rides and hate the geometry of the old brake levers with the new brakes.

So I'm considering a Shimano XTR 9100 shifter with ISPEC-EV since it's both 11 and 12 speed capable. Also I can mount it onto the XT brake lever clamp. Before I purchase it I was wanting to see if the shifter would work with the SRAM GX derailer.

If I can't find a suitable fix I might just install a new Shimano 12speed drive train. But hope it doesn't come to that.

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 9:44 Quote
KenB1966 wrote:
I've got a 2016 11 speed Stumpjumper that has the GX shifters and derailer. Recently I changed the brakes due to my SRAM brakes failing and now out of warranty too. I installed Shimano XT 8100 brakes. I've gone out for some short rides and hate the geometry of the old brake levers with the new brakes.

So I'm considering a Shimano XTR 9100 shifter with ISPEC-EV since it's both 11 and 12 speed capable. Also I can mount it onto the XT brake lever clamp. Before I purchase it I was wanting to see if the shifter would work with the SRAM GX derailer.

If I can't find a suitable fix I might just install a new Shimano 12speed drive train. But hope it doesn't come to that.

Nope. Shifters and derailleur must match manufacturers. You can usually get away with running, say, a SRAM cassette and chain on Shimano derailleur+shifter or vice versa but that’s it.

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
You can run an 11 speed Shimano shifter and derailer on your existing SRAM cassette, but shifter and derailer must match brands

KenB1966 wrote:

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 21:52 Quote
What everyone is saying isn't strictly true. While it's best practice to keep the same shifter and derailleur brand some do work together. Interestingly your set up might actually work. 12 speed sram and shimano have a very similar pull rate and can be run together with only minimal shift quality loss. 12 speed sram and 11 speed sram also have the same pull rates, as evidenced by the ethirteen upgrade kit. Since the 12/11 speed shimano shifter works by just limiting out one click and not changing the pull I would be optimistic about the setup working. You will likely experience some loss in shift quality, but it should work. I'll be interested to here what you end up doing.

Posted: Apr 23, 2020 at 7:00 Quote
Thanks all for the help so far. My temp solution is to get a Wolf adapter to allow me to run my SRAM shifter on my Shimano Brake clamp. I ordered it yesterday and a Wolf Seat post dropper lever. The Wolf droppper lever will work with my Shimano bakes too.

In a perfect world I would switch to a 12 speed set up. But parts alone are $1000-1200. If I did it a little at a time that always eases the pocket pain. I would likely be able to do all the work my self but would have to invest in the tools too. Yes, they would be nice to have but for right now I want to pinch pennys where I can. I like doing the work and learning the mechanics of it all but need to be realistic for now.

What about doing the XTR shifter set to 11 speed, then a XT 8100 12 speed derailer and only run it as an 11 speed for now? Is that feasible?

The next step would be to build a up a rear wheel with hub and 12 speed cassette and a chain. Followed by a new crack with a 12 speed chain ring. (Not sure if my old crank and chain ring would work or not with the Shimano.)

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007112
Mobile Version of Website