DT Swiss vs I9 wheels

• Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
I’m looking for a new set of alloy wheels. Right now I’ve got Stan's Wheels that are pretty beat but still ok. I like them but I want to retire them to bike park wheels with a set of DH tires.

So I’m thinking of getting a set of nice alloy wheels for pedal days. Looking for fast engagement and a something that will hold tension and true well. I’m really interested in DT 1501 & I9 305s. Who has experience with either of these. Any other wheels I should look at?

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
DT’s don’t have the fastest engagement but are very solid. As long as the are the 350 or 240 series and not garbage 370’s.

Posted: Apr 26, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
EKrum wrote:
I’m looking for a new set of alloy wheels. Right now I’ve got Stan's Wheels that are pretty beat but still ok. I like them but I want to retire them to bike park wheels with a set of DH tires.

So I’m thinking of getting a set of nice alloy wheels for pedal days. Looking for fast engagement and a something that will hold tension and true well. I’m really interested in DT 1501 & I9 305s. Who has experience with either of these. Any other wheels I should look at?
Both of these are excellent choices, you can upgrade DT with 54T. Personally i like DT Starratchet system more than I9s ratchet system but thats just nitpicking. Take the ones that are cheaper - you cannot go wrong with either.

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2020 at 1:28 Quote
Has anyone got any durability info on the i9 hydra's? If I drop that much coin on hubs I always go Chris King as I want it to perform and last. I don't really care about the 1billion engagement points if it gums up or if the bearings need replacement frequently.

FL
Posted: Apr 27, 2020 at 2:08 Quote
I’ve been on torches for years. Bearing replacement as normal (every 2-3 seasons). I haven’t had a set of hydras but from my understanding everything apart from the drive ring and freehub is the same. My friend has been on a set for a season. They seem to be holding up just as expected. The freehub needs oil not grease. As long as you go with oil (like Kings) they’ll not gum up.
I9 uses enduro bearings for OE. I’d replace with NSK if you’re really concerned. They’re not gonna last forever like king bearings but they’re also 8$ apiece as opposed to 60$

FWIW I don’t service my bearings (lift seals, repack, etc.). I ride em till they die and replace them.

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2020 at 6:44 Quote
rahrider wrote:
Has anyone got any durability info on the i9 hydra's? If I drop that much coin on hubs I always go Chris King as I want it to perform and last. I don't really care about the 1billion engagement points if it gums up or if the bearings need replacement frequently.

Not sure but Chris kings are the best for sure. Will last forever

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2020 at 20:39 Quote
Gotta say, if I was dropping that much on wheels I would also include CK. I realize they aren't as flashy as I9 but they are easy to service, last forever and you will always be able to find a spoke in a pinch. Direct pull spokes are great functionally but what a pain to try and track one down if you break one. I got my wife a set last year from the CK website. Upgraded the spokes to CX ray. 1060 for a solid wheelset that will last years and the hubs can be rebuilt into countless new wheels for future bikes. My longest serving king rear hub has been rebuilt into 4 bikes over 10+years and still running original bearings and functioning flawlessly.

If not king, I trust DT - also great quality. Little less flashy but they get the job done.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
rahrider wrote:
Gotta say, if I was dropping that much on wheels I would also include CK. I realize they aren't as flashy as I9 but they are easy to service, last forever and you will always be able to find a spoke in a pinch. Direct pull spokes are great functionally but what a pain to try and track one down if you break one. I got my wife a set last year from the CK website. Upgraded the spokes to CX ray. 1060 for a solid wheelset that will last years and the hubs can be rebuilt into countless new wheels for future bikes. My longest serving king rear hub has been rebuilt into 4 bikes over 10+years and still running original bearings and functioning flawlessly.

If not king, I trust DT - also great quality. Little less flashy but they get the job done.

DT is not worth it unless you’re counting grams. Bearings in my 240s rear last one season and replacing them is a real pain.

FL
Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 6:56 Quote
They’re no different than I9 bearings. They may not be enduro bearings but there is no functional difference between them. And yes, removing the drive ring to change the inner bearing is a PITA

I’m not sure how you do this in the new version with the inner ratchet not separate from the drive ring.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 9:16 Quote
Were they ceramic bearings? That would explain it. They are stupid unless you are a sponsored racer. Even then they make very little sense. CK bearings last forever. King hubs are expensive but are an investment and will last forever.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 11:03 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
They’re no different than I9 bearings. They may not be enduro bearings but there is no functional difference between them. And yes, removing the drive ring to change the inner bearing is a PITA

I’m not sure how you do this in the new version with the inner ratchet not separate from the drive ring.

If your 240 hub is >2015 then you dont need to remove the ring nut. Easy to clarify- if your shim washer can fall out past your ring nut, then your bearing can too.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
Frank191 wrote:
rahrider wrote:

Not sure but Chris kings are the best for sure. Will last forever

Meh, DT 240s are just fine, had them for 5 seasons, never serviced them because too lazy, still works without any problems. Maybe just a little louder than before Big Grin

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
Had Chris King hubs since 2010 and I9 since 2014. Both are amazing. Still running them on my Mach 6 and Ti Hardtail . Very little maintenance. Both are bullet proof.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
Frank191 wrote:
Were they ceramic bearings? That would explain it. They are stupid unless you are a sponsored racer. Even then they make very little sense. CK bearings last forever. King hubs are expensive but are an investment and will last forever.

Not in my case. I tend to tear up all things rear wheel though...

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 21:20 Quote
I've been running a set of DT Swiss EX1501 for over 2 years now. Love these wheels! Other than clean and grease the hubs once a year (5 min job), I've done nothing to em. BTW all 1501 series wheels run a variant of the 240 hub. Wet, rocky, root filled New England single track and random park days. I'm 6'1" 220 lbs so I'm not easy on em.
My buddy has the I9 Enduro S Hydra and loves em. Same 305 rim and Hydra hub as the 305's just with jbend spokes vs the straight pull. If you are lighter than me and are planning on a dedicated set of park wheels, the straight pull spokes may not be necessary and Enduro S Hydra may be a less expensive option.

You will love whichever you choose.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011645
Mobile Version of Website