DT Swiss vs I9 wheels

Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
I9 system wheels are night and day from any stock DT swiss wheel. Hydra hub engagement is superior, ride quality and durability stand alone.

DT makes bomber hubs and they are easy to work on, so that’s cool. Performance, I9 hands down. Best wheels I have ever ridden

Posted: May 1, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
I have been researching this myself as I am looking for a new wheelset. I was looking at i9 and CK and DT 240. My reservation about CK is the maintenance, you need special CK tools to service the hub. All the others you can use regular tools.

Posted: May 1, 2020 at 18:52 Quote
omeganorm wrote:
I have been researching this myself as I am looking for a new wheelset. I was looking at i9 and CK and DT 240. My reservation about CK is the maintenance, you need special CK tools to service the hub. All the others you can use regular tools.

But they can go forever between servicing. Especially if you use the proper grease instead of the oil a lot of people use to get the louder buzz sound.

Posted: May 2, 2020 at 11:47 Quote
omeganorm wrote:

I've got both right now. Got the Dt240s recently as Enve m60 wheelset. Not a dentist and dont really care for Enve but it was $730 used from pros closet.

Anyway was wanting to try xtr 12 speed and the microspline freehub conversion from King is $318 and dont know if that includes shipping.

The used enve set already already had microspline and torque caps.

My Dt240 have the 32 tooth ratchet and I dont really feel much difference in engagement.

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
rahrider wrote:
Has anyone got any durability info on the i9 hydra's? If I drop that much coin on hubs I always go Chris King as I want it to perform and last. I don't really care about the 1billion engagement points if it gums up or if the bearings need replacement frequently.

I’ve broken 2 i9 hydra axles in less than 6 months. I9 has a super helpful warranty guy but if you’re heavy and/or sendy I would steer clear.

I’m 6’4 225lbs + drops/jumps/hucks/chunk

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 9:18 Quote
getup2getdown wrote:
I9 system wheels are night and day from any stock DT swiss wheel. Hydra hub engagement is superior, ride quality and durability stand alone.

DT makes bomber hubs and they are easy to work on, so that’s cool. Performance, I9 hands down. Best wheels I have ever ridden

Agree on engagement, but I’ve broken 2 rear i9 axles in too short a time. Guy I ride with just broke his. If you’re in the 200lbs+ group these are not durable unfortunately.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 5:35 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:
getup2getdown wrote:

Agree on engagement, but I’ve broken 2 rear i9 axles in too short a time. Guy I ride with just broke his. If you’re in the 200lbs+ group these are not durable unfortunately.

Bummer to hear this. I'll keep my eyes peeled for issues. I am in this weight range and stripped out the internals of the ibis logo hubs with some aggressive/ungraceful riding. I went with the i9 hydra because they are designed to deform under high torque, increasing engagement points as you go. So far so good on that front. I really like the increased engagement on rock gardens for ratcheting. They're not too loud.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:
getup2getdown wrote:

Bummer to hear this. I'll keep my eyes peeled for issues. I am in this weight range and stripped out the internals of the ibis logo hubs with some aggressive/ungraceful riding. I went with the i9 hydra because they are designed to deform under high torque, increasing engagement points as you go. So far so good on that front. I really like the increased engagement on rock gardens for ratcheting. They're not too loud.

Best dependability is Chris Kings and the performance is really good too. not as fast engagement as i9 but still plenty fast and they will not break...

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:
getup2getdown wrote:

I’ve got those ibis logo hubs now, the rear feels atrocious between the slow engagement and the hollow banging sound when it does finally engage. How long did yours last?

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
i have both chris king and dt swiss. the upgrade to make dt swiss 54 ratchet makes them close to the same price for a chris king rear hub.

I have broken two chris king hubs both right at the flanges(where the spokes attach), they just seemed to fail. There was no accident or anything that ever got stuck in the spokes, they just crumbled... maybe its from riding a hardtail Smile

I still love my existing SS chris kings, over 10 years old and work perfect.

but since wanting boost 148 and and center lock i moved to dtswiss

dt-swiss was lighter, had features i wanted, cheaper

everything fails eventually.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 9:21 Quote
I’ve got those ibis logo hubs now, the rear feels atrocious between the slow engagement and the hollow banging sound when it does finally engage. How long did yours last?[/Quote]

Mine lasted about 18 months. In hindsight, the rear was asking for about three month before that. I also felt it could be related to the way the end caps fit on the rear hub. I changed a couple days on the trail and never could seem to get the Axel back to right depth of insertion on the drive side threads. This may have worsened the situation and increased rate of deterioration. Finally it all just exploded one day.

If you keep the rear rim and spokes while simply swapping hub to i9 hydra hub, be careful. My guy reused the original spokes and they ended up 1mm too short. I upgraded to fancy orange aluminum nipples at the same time and I broke four nipples, each in successive rides after repair, because the nipple would shear off at the shoulder/flange. Aluminum nipples are susceptible. Brass may not be. Talk it over with your wheel builder and use someone local so you can get warranty fixes if this occurs. My guy was amazing about it.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Mine lasted about 18 months. In hindsight, the rear was asking for about three month before that. I also felt it could be related to the way the end caps fit on the rear hub. I changed a couple days on the trail and never could seem to get the Axel back to right depth of insertion on the drive side threads. This may have worsened the situation and increased rate of deterioration. Finally it all just exploded one day.

If you keep the rear rim and spokes while simply swapping hub to i9 hydra hub, be careful. My guy reused the original spokes and they ended up 1mm too short. I upgraded to fancy orange aluminum nipples at the same time and I broke four nipples, each in successive rides after repair, because the nipple would shear off at the shoulder/flange. Aluminum nipples are susceptible. Brass may not be. Talk it over with your wheel builder and use someone local so you can get warranty fixes if this occurs. My guy was amazing about it.

18 months I can live with. Unfortunately I’m not even 8 weeks in. Thanks for the info!

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 11:45 Quote
Well, I've been lurking in this forum and thread. I'm in the same boat - Want to upgrade the stock (heavy) wheels on my 2021 Giant Trance-X 29-2 and have been looking hard at a set of alloy hoops, either i9 Hydra Enduro S28H or the DT Swiss XM 1700 with the 54t upgrade. Cost and weight delta is a wash (~$1,000 & 1900g) so I'm really torn regarding the engagement and maintenance: I'd really love the Hydra but am worried about long-term viability, i.e. Will I need to be doing a yearly winter tear-apart and clean/grease vs the DT Swiss ratchet which seems more bullet-proof and easier to maintain? So, what say the group? (Lastly, has anyone heard anything about the new Stans Flow MK4 with the M-Pulse hub? They are keeping really quiet about the hub so I'm leary). I'm a light guy; 160lbs at 6 feet, if that helps. Mainly riding east cost US rocks and rooty trails. Thanks!!

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 14:28 Quote
I've been running a Shimano xtr hub and ex511 rim on the rear while my carbon rim wheel is being warrantied and rebuilt. The ex511 has been excellent. The Shimano hub has been excellent.

The xm1700 wheelset was rated bombproof and I'd believe it based on how nice this team wheel feels. .

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 5:51 Quote
50105010 wrote:
I've been running a Shimano xtr hub and ex511 rim on the rear while my carbon rim wheel is being warrantied and rebuilt. The ex511 has been excellent. The Shimano hub has been excellent.

The xm1700 wheelset was rated bombproof and I'd believe it based on how nice this team wheel feels. .

Thanks for the feedback. How do the ex511 rims compare to carbon? I'm sure they're not as stiff but is it a huge difference that affects your riding or not really? (I've been back and forth on this one - whether to go with carbon over alloy... I've been leary of the carbon due to riding in rocky trails. Willing to have my mind changed though!). Thanks.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007634
Mobile Version of Website