DT Swiss vs I9 wheels

| Next Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 13:57 Quote
BRnPA wrote:
50105010 wrote:
I've been running a Shimano xtr hub and ex511 rim on the rear while my carbon rim wheel is being warrantied and rebuilt. The ex511 has been excellent. The Shimano hub has been excellent.

The xm1700 wheelset was rated bombproof and I'd believe it based on how nice this team wheel feels. .

Thanks for the feedback. How do the ex511 rims compare to carbon? I'm sure they're not as stiff but is it a huge difference that affects your riding or not really? (I've been back and forth on this one - whether to go with carbon over alloy... I've been leary of the carbon due to riding in rocky trails. Willing to have my mind changed though!). Thanks.

Anecdotal opinion here, my old YT tues was the mac daddy version with carbon everything including wheels. It was noticeably worse in sloppy mud trying to fight to stay up on the higher line instead of getting pulled down into the lowest rut. In a full season of park those wheels only needed tensioning once, bike was ridden at Thunder, Highland, Mountain Creek and Powder Ridge. I’m just over 200lbs and not very smooth, but run enough air to not hit the rims. Alloy rims usually last a year in the rear for me, 2 up front.

I’ve since bought new wheels for a different bike, in alloy.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 21:43 Quote
Ibis is replacing my nearly two year old carbon rim under warranty. The carbon rim retails for $500. The ex511 retails for $120. Honestly, I don't think there is really that much difference in performance. The ex511 seems plenty stiff while remaining compliant. The major difference is that my carbon rim is 35mm internal width to ex511's 30mm internal width. I had to go back to 30psi since I was getting a lot of rim strikes on rocks. I have the means so it's less of an issue to go carbon. I have a kashima fork and shock because I think they look cooler than the black stanchions of the performance elite model. If you want carbon rims, you should get carbon rims. If you can't afford them or just want aluminum, the ex511s seem awesome.

I'll write an update when I get my carbon rim and i9 hub back.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 5:09 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Ibis is replacing my nearly two year old carbon rim under warranty. The carbon rim retails for $500. The ex511 retails for $120. Honestly, I don't think there is really that much difference in performance. The ex511 seems plenty stiff while remaining compliant. The major difference is that my carbon rim is 35mm internal width to ex511's 30mm internal width. I had to go back to 30psi since I was getting a lot of rim strikes on rocks. I have the means so it's less of an issue to go carbon. I have a kashima fork and shock because I think they look cooler than the black stanchions of the performance elite model. If you want carbon rims, you should get carbon rims. If you can't afford them or just want aluminum, the ex511s seem awesome.

I'll write an update when I get my carbon rim and i9 hub back.

Thanks every for the replies thus far. I'm a couple months away from pulling the trigger, so I'm still gathering data and perspective. Has anyone given the e*thirteen LG1 race carbon enduro wheels a shot? I'm reading mixed reviews on those wheels but the specs look good. (Also, I believe they have a proprietary hub, so that throws another variable into the equation).

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 6:52 Quote
BRnPA wrote:
Thanks every for the replies thus far. I'm a couple months away from pulling the trigger, so I'm still gathering data and perspective. Has anyone given the e*thirteen LG1 race carbon enduro wheels a shot? I'm reading mixed reviews on those wheels but the specs look good. (Also, I believe they have a proprietary hub, so that throws another variable into the equation).

I wouldn't trust anything E13. My buddy had 3 warranty claims on their alloy wheels until he gave up and bought another brand. I've seen their cassettes and chainrings fold over and the riders were under 190lbs too.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
BRnPA wrote:
Well, I've been lurking in this forum and thread. I'm in the same boat - Want to upgrade the stock (heavy) wheels on my 2021 Giant Trance-X 29-2 and have been looking hard at a set of alloy hoops, either i9 Hydra Enduro S28H or the DT Swiss XM 1700 with the 54t upgrade. Cost and weight delta is a wash (~$1,000 & 1900g) so I'm really torn regarding the engagement and maintenance: I'd really love the Hydra but am worried about long-term viability, i.e. Will I need to be doing a yearly winter tear-apart and clean/grease vs the DT Swiss ratchet which seems more bullet-proof and easier to maintain? So, what say the group? (Lastly, has anyone heard anything about the new Stans Flow MK4 with the M-Pulse hub? They are keeping really quiet about the hub so I'm leary). I'm a light guy; 160lbs at 6 feet, if that helps. Mainly riding east cost US rocks and rooty trails. Thanks!!

I don't know anything about the DT Swiss wheels or Stans hub but we do have a set of the Industry Nine Enduro305s and also a set of Hydra Trail S wheels.

Overall we have been happy with the i9 wheels, the hub engagement is great for technical climbs and for quick sprint/ratchets between jumps or pumps. I did break the rear axle in my Enduro305 hydra, but i9 replaced it under warranty. Also I smashed a rear Enduro305 rim, but it was because I jumped and landed on a sharp rock. It was my own fault but i9 gave a good discount on a replacement rim when I sent the wheel back to them. I bought the Hydra Trail S 270 wheels for my sons bike after I smashed my Enduro305, so even though there was some damage, I was still happy enough to buy a second time. I was 175 lbs when I did that (I'm a little heavier now after a month of Thanksgiving and Christmas meals / leftovers). For maintenance all I did was put them in the box and send them back to i9, they have a pretty affordable rebuild option for their wheels. That took a week. I just pedaled my downhill wheels/tires for that week.

My other bike has Stans Flow rims on it with Shimano hubs and the rims are nice, although the seem heavy on paper. Those e13 carbon lifetime warranty rims seem like a good value. I have a set of e13 TRS rims on Formula hubs and also a set of TRS+ rims on e13 hubs, and honestly I've had not problems with them. I guess others have not been so lucky? I suspect no matter what you buy it will be better than what comes OEM on the Giant.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 15:07 Quote
jaredrude wrote:
BRnPA wrote:
Well, I've been lurking in this forum and thread. I'm in the same boat - Want to upgrade the stock (heavy) wheels on my 2021 Giant Trance-X 29-2 and have been looking hard at a set of alloy hoops, either i9 Hydra Enduro S28H or the DT Swiss XM 1700 with the 54t upgrade. Cost and weight delta is a wash (~$1,000 & 1900g) so I'm really torn regarding the engagement and maintenance: I'd really love the Hydra but am worried about long-term viability, i.e. Will I need to be doing a yearly winter tear-apart and clean/grease vs the DT Swiss ratchet which seems more bullet-proof and easier to maintain? So, what say the group? (Lastly, has anyone heard anything about the new Stans Flow MK4 with the M-Pulse hub? They are keeping really quiet about the hub so I'm leary). I'm a light guy; 160lbs at 6 feet, if that helps. Mainly riding east cost US rocks and rooty trails. Thanks!!

I don't know anything about the DT Swiss wheels or Stans hub but we do have a set of the Industry Nine Enduro305s and also a set of Hydra Trail S wheels.

Overall we have been happy with the i9 wheels, the hub engagement is great for technical climbs and for quick sprint/ratchets between jumps or pumps. I did break the rear axle in my Enduro305 hydra, but i9 replaced it under warranty. Also I smashed a rear Enduro305 rim, but it was because I jumped and landed on a sharp rock. It was my own fault but i9 gave a good discount on a replacement rim when I sent the wheel back to them. I bought the Hydra Trail S 270 wheels for my sons bike after I smashed my Enduro305, so even though there was some damage, I was still happy enough to buy a second time. I was 175 lbs when I did that (I'm a little heavier now after a month of Thanksgiving and Christmas meals / leftovers). For maintenance all I did was put them in the box and send them back to i9, they have a pretty affordable rebuild option for their wheels. That took a week. I just pedaled my downhill wheels/tires for that week.

My other bike has Stans Flow rims on it with Shimano hubs and the rims are nice, although the seem heavy on paper. Those e13 carbon lifetime warranty rims seem like a good value. I have a set of e13 TRS rims on Formula hubs and also a set of TRS+ rims on e13 hubs, and honestly I've had not problems with them. I guess others have not been so lucky? I suspect no matter what you buy it will be better than what comes OEM on the Giant.

Great commentary! I really appreciate the perspective. At this point, I'm ~90% decided on the i9 Enduro S28H with the Hydra hubs. Comes in just over $1,000 and all the reviews are awesome. My second choice is the DT Swiss XM1700, built on the 481 alloy rims. CustomWheelBuilder.com can build them with the Hydras for about the same price (it's a wash). I think that it's an oranges-to-oranges comparison: These rims are comparable - though I'm hedging with the while i9 combo (rims and hub) because there's probably an engineering advantage going with all i9. Makes sense? Thanks.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 15:13 Quote
How durable is the 54 tooth ratchet upgrade? I have heard that they break or shear easily.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 17:11 Quote
drensor wrote:
How durable is the 54 tooth ratchet upgrade? I have heard that they break or shear easily.

Bring a spare set of 18 tooth in your riding pack.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 18:03 Quote
DHhack wrote:
drensor wrote:

That is a really good idea!

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 5:50 Quote
drensor wrote:
DHhack wrote:
drensor wrote:

That is a really good idea!

I have mine greased and in a ziplock bag inside a ziplock bag.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 23:37 Quote
drensor wrote:
Never had this situation in years of riding DT hubs, i had 18,36 and 54 ratchets - always work for me.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008960
Mobile Version of Website