130mm fork on 2019 Meta HT

PB Forum :: Commencal
130mm fork on 2019 Meta HT
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
I am playing with the idea of reducing the travel on my 2019 Meta Origin. The main reason being that, at 6'2" (188cm), I feel that my size XL Meta is a bit long. I love the bike but I am in the market for a FS enduro/heavy trail bike to compliment the HT so I won't need the downhill capability of the 150mm fork. I would love to improve its playfulness and use it for long rides. This could also be a good reason to upgrade from the Recon RL.

I have not been able to find any information from anyone who may have done this. Such a change would give me a steeper head angle, reduced stack, reduced wheelbase, etc. All things that I think would help make the bike more maneuverable while still keeping it pretty capable when pointed down.

I am not too concerned about the exact geometry numbers as much as i am about whether such a change is worth it or not. Would this make a negligible difference to playfulness? Is 140mm more realistic? Is changing the travel just stupid in general? Should I just shut up, get better, and ride?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 19:53 Quote
There's something to be said for just riding what you've got, but I love playing around with my bikes. I've changed the travel on several rock shox forks with an air shaft swap. That is way cheaper than a new fork. It's not a difficult job at all, and you could freshen up your oil and dust wipers while you have it apart. I have a cane creek helm fork that allows me to change travel from 130mm to 160mm by adding or taking away spacers, so I'll bounce between 130-150 depending on where I'm riding. Commencal spes your bike with 140-150 fork. You may lower your bottom braket and notice more pedal strikes if you go to 130. I haven't ridden the HT, I have a meta tr 29 and have no trouble at 130 as far as pedal strikes. It's a great techinal climber and very nimble handling at 130.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008972
Mobile Version of Website