Tips on bunny hopping higher

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Tips on bunny hopping higher
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
I want to bunny hop higher on my BMX bike so I can grind rails and hop onto ledges that I can't reach at the moment. I almost feel I can bunny hop higher on my full sus mountain bike than my BMX (probably not true, but it feels like it), because on my mountain bike, I can pull up as hard as I can and just level it out. When I pull up as hard as I can on my BMX, I just loop out and never get the chance to pull the rear off the ground. Because of that, my bunny hops are only as high as I can lift the front wheel, which is not very high all things considered. When I see guys hop over fences in videos, I think there must be something I'm missing. I'm aware they are pros and I won't be able to hop fences anytime soon, or ever, but they're obviously doing something different than me. Any help is welcome.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
throw a couple videos of it in here, then we can assist you better.

A few general tips:
Drop your heels, do down to your seat, then put your hips straight to the bars, and suck your legs up.
stay loose, and move with the bike, remember you are in control of it
also, if you try and hop up something, I've found that I can hop a lot higher going up something than just straight hopping, for whatever reason.

if you put a couple videos in, like I said, we can better assist you then.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
Here ya go. Sorry I couldn't make it slo mo, my phone doesn't do that.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kgFFaFbLn1oQuUds8

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 15:57 Quote
you gotta lift your front wheel up more, the height of the hop is determined by how high you bring your front wheel. move further back, and stand up and forward faster, rocket up

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 16:41 Quote
traqs wrote:
you gotta lift your front wheel up more, the height of the hop is determined by how high you bring your front wheel. move further back, and stand up and forward faster, rocket up
That's my problem, when I lift my front wheel much higher than that, I loop out or go behind my balance point. I guess I'll practice lifting higher and making it work.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 17:06 Quote
then do it all quicker, if I were not to stand forwards when my wheel was at its highest i would be on my back. my bike is almost vertical when i start to do a big hop. The front wheel should keep coming up even after you start to stand forwards. you should only stop moving up when you level off.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
Awesome, thanks for the help.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 19:28 Quote
yeah mate.. here is a pic of me with my front wheel as high as it gets before I even start to lift the rear wheel... The wheel still goes up a good couple of inches after this photo, and then the rear wheel comes up to this same height. Keep in mind, that this is all a very fast motion.
the highest point before the rear wheel leaves the ground

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009042
Mobile Version of Website