Anyone prevented from biking due to meniscus surgery or know someone who has?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Anyone prevented from biking due to meniscus surgery or know someone who has?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
I tore my meniscus in early December. It caused some odd instability and minor pain. I got surgery to repair it at the end of January. I now have bad arthritis in my knee. It hurts most of the time. At my one month followup, the doctor dismissed my concerns and said that I was doing great since I could bend it all the way and that it would be totally great by 2-3 months. My pain has not abated since then.

I've always wanted to be one of those old guys that you see out riding on trails someday, but I'm not sure I'll make it now. I'm 45, so I hear I'm too young for knee replacement, and my knee seems to be ruined already.

Is there any hope? I can't go back to talk to the doc about it right now due to covid stuff, so I'm just on my own here.

Posted: May 3, 2020 at 3:09 Quote
Hello ,
In 2005 i had an accident on a ship an ended up shredding my meniscus to the point where i was unable to walk for a few months and needed surgery. i was told i would almost certainly have have arthritis and need a knee replacement .however i am now about turn 50 ,still ride hard daily and still have the same knee . i do although get what has been described as mild arthritic pain when it gets cold but apart from that i am good . i know the day will come when the knee needs replacing but i think all riders will get to that point at sometime

Hope this helps

Mark

Posted: May 3, 2020 at 5:36 Quote
I had meniscus surgery 7 years ago on my left knee. After a couple of months and physical therapy it was fine. I started mountain bike riding about 6 months ago. Other than some minor aches and pain in both my knees I have no problem. I just turned 69 last month.

Posted: May 3, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
Thank you to both of you.

I had a virtual appointment with the doc and he said I probably have patellofemoral syndrome(kneecap not riding in the groove right anymore) and that with some PT and possibly some cortisone I can get back to normal...so I have hope.

Posted: May 3, 2020 at 22:22 Quote
i do the cortisone and “deal” with the arthritis for now.
i also ended up doing physical therapy for ongoing stability issues. the physical therapy targeted specific atrophy i had developed from overcompensating for the injury (acl rupture/chronic meniscus tear) and while skeptical, ended up being helpful. one of the “muscles” we worked on was my brain/confidence in the joint and increasing my understanding.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 5:15 Quote
Did you have a repair or a meniscectomy where they shave some of it out? How soon after surgery were you allowed tp put all your weight on the foot or allowed tp bend the knee more than 90 degrees?

Your PT should be able to diagnose you independently, not just work off odd the referred diagnosis. If not, I would see if there are better options. The PT could come to the same conclusion as your ortho, but shouldn't lazily depend on it. PT could still help even so, but the range of issues it could help would be circumscribed. Look for a PT with his or her OCS or COMT. There are really good ones without those qualifications, but as a group PTs with those credentials will probably outshine the others.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 7:30 Quote
Galennaklar wrote:
Did you have a repair or a meniscectomy where they shave some of it out? How soon after surgery were you allowed tp put all your weight on the foot or allowed tp bend the knee more than 90 degrees?

Your PT should be able to diagnose you independently, not just work off odd the referred diagnosis. If not, I would see if there are better options. The PT could come to the same conclusion as your ortho, but shouldn't lazily depend on it. PT could still help even so, but the range of issues it could help would be circumscribed. Look for a PT with his or her OCS or COMT. There are really good ones without those qualifications, but as a group PTs with those credentials will probably outshine the others.

Thank you. They wanted full weight and bending within 24 hours, which I could do. My knee just doesn't bend the same direction it used to for some reason. The knee wants to go towards my center line more when I bend it and that's causing issues it appears.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 6:25 Quote
You most likely had a meniscectomy since repairs aren't allowed tp fully weight bear or bend completely for 6 weeks plus. Not necessarily worse or incorrect surgery, just different. It sounds like you're describing what's called knee valgus when your knee falls in. Typically that is easily correctable with hip/trunk and and ankle stabilization work, e.g. minister walks, bridges, hip abductions, single leg pallof presses, etc. This is not intended as medical advice though and you should see a professional. You should have plenty of years of bike riding in your future. Best of luck.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
Galennaklar wrote:
You most likely had a meniscectomy since repairs aren't allowed tp fully weight bear or bend completely for 6 weeks plus. Not necessarily worse or incorrect surgery, just different. It sounds like you're describing what's called knee valgus when your knee falls in. Typically that is easily correctable with hip/trunk and and ankle stabilization work, e.g. minister walks, bridges, hip abductions, single leg pallof presses, etc. This is not intended as medical advice though and you should see a professional. You should have plenty of years of bike riding in your future. Best of luck.

Thank you. It can be difficult to remain optimistic when it hurts after doing minor things. Optimism is a huge help and you've supplied that.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005052
Mobile Version of Website