Flagstaff riding reccos

PB Forum :: USA - West
Flagstaff riding reccos
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
Headed to Flagstaff to ride eventually and looking at trailforks it seems like a lot of the trails Ive heard of have been destroyed by fires. I havent been there in a long long time so looking to see if you could help my research out by eliminating zones that are no longer. I have my do it all bike w me so keen on pedalling, shuttling, dh whatever.

Thanks

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
Did go up to Flagstaff a few weeks ago to go to the bike park at Ft Tuthill. That is open, you drive past the Covid testing attendants for the drive up testing being done at Ft Tuthill. . There is a short loop there called Soldier's Trail which is open to compliment the bike park stuff.

Didn't have time to look/ride other trails in area. We did get a ride in Sedona, but they local residents kind of freaked out and had all the trails closed due to Covid a couple days after we rode there (trails themselves were not crowded).

There are areas like Walnut Canyon for some pedaling that's not up in the peaks.
There is the Arizona Trail (Snowbowl Road to Aspen Corner) that probably is open, but they apparently closed the road up to Snowbowl to deter people from hiking/skiing it due to Covid resource concerns.

Sorry can't be more help, been awhile since lived in Flagstaff. However, did find some info below that should be helpful:

Below are 2 cut/pastes from the Forest Service website:

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., April 28, 2020 — Coconino National Forest is rescinding the closure order for the burned area of last year's Museum Fire north of Flagstaff.

Lifting this closure order allows public access into the burned area on Mount Elden and Dry Lake Hills, which has been closed since the Museum Fire began on July 21, 2019 and burned more than 1,900 acres in the heart of this popular recreation area.

Although open again, the area still poses many dangers and hazards, so visitors should enter at their own risk and be aware of the possibility of falling trees, rolling rocks, and flash floods in the area--especially during high winds or when heavy precipitation is expected.

Elden Lookout Road (Forest Road 557) will temporarily remain closed to motor vehicles, but is open to pedestrian, equestrian, and bicycle traffic. Several construction and maintenance projects are planned for Elden Lookout Road in the coming months, which means heavy equipment and construction crews will be using the road frequently.

In addition, due to heavy post fire damage, Upper Oldham and upper portions of Brookbank Trails will remain closed until repairs can be made. Visitors are asked to obey posted signs in the burned area, including staying off closed trails.

For reference, click the following link for the original Closure Order.

-----------------------------------------------------

News Release- Museum Fire closure area reduced
Museum Fire BAER Burned Area Emergency Response
News – 10/4/2019

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., Oct. 3, 2019, For Immediate Release — The Coconino National Forest is reducing the size of the area closure for the Museum Fire on Friday (Oct.4) to allow for increased access and recreation on parts of Mount Elden.

The Burned Area Emergency Response team has completed treatments to the land, including mulching with a helicopter in effort to stabilize the watershed and encourage recovery. Now that this important work is complete, the public will be allowed in additional areas of the burned area.

Although these areas are open, the public is urged to use caution, as hazards still exist such as ash pits, rolling rocks, weakened trees, falling trees and possible floodwaters.

Some areas will remain closed that pose an increased risk to visitors. These areas will be re-evaluated after the winter season to see what risks can be mitigated before opening to the public.

Portions of Forest Road 789 and FR 6353 marking the restricted-area boundary are OPEN to non-motorized use only. Elden Lookout Road (FR 557) is closed to all traffic where it intersects with the Arizona National Scenic Trail. Please see the official closure order and map for details.

The following trails will be OPEN:

• Arizona National Scenic Trail (ANST)

• Heart Trail

• Little Bear Trail

• Little Gnarly

• Lower Oldham Trail from Buffalo Park to the ANST junction

• Rocky Ridge Trail from ANST to Schultz Creek Trail

• Schultz Loop Trail

• Sunset Trail from the intersection of Schultz Tank to Little Bear Trail

The following trails will remain CLOSED:

• Brookbank Trail (entire trail)

• Lower Oldham, from ANST to Brookbank Trail

• Rocky Ridge Trail, from ANST to Brookbank Trail

• Sunset Trail, from Little Bear Trail to Elden Lookout Trail

• Upper Oldham Trail (entire trail)

For more information, call the Flagstaff Ranger District at 928-526-0866.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
heaps of info in there, thanks!

things changed, spent a few extra days in sedona, so ill just have to come on back.

this was a wicked ride real close to flagstaff though

photo

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
Where is that picture from? I've never ridden terrain like that, but I'm close by for a month and would love to!

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
no trails. but cinder hills ohv

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007727
Mobile Version of Website