Southern California Trail Recommendations

PB Forum :: USA - West
Southern California Trail Recommendations
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 30, 2020 at 19:59 Quote
I'm going to be in the SoCal area for work for 1-2 months with sufficient free time for daily rides, and would like some trail recommendations given the plethora of options I've found on Trail Forks.

I'm a novice mountain biker who picked up the hobby just under 3 months ago, but have been riding 7-8 mile trails locally as often as I can with probably 300 miles lifetime experience. I consider myself reasonably athletic, and enjoy flow more than racing or daredevil type obstacles. I will happily bypass ramp jumps until I am more experienced. I'm from Eastern Carolina so everything within 2-4 hours is narrow singletrack with some short steeps and drops, and everything generally runs quite muddy and root/rock garden heavy. I feel comfortable in most technical blues trails at my own pace, and would like to find more longer and better flowing options out west. Scenery is a plus.

I'll be riding a 2020 Liv Intrigue 3, so only trails that the bike (and a new rider) can handle please. I have a preference for loops that can start and end near parking but am willing to pedal up some fire roads to hike to the proverbial waterfall. My driving range extends from San Diego to Los Angeles and inland within 2 hours one way. My base will be Oceanside.

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 30, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
San Juan Trail in Orange County.
Greer Ranch in Murrieta, CA.

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 23:25 Quote
Tagging on here - are any trails closed right now due to covid?

Was thinking about heading to Simi Valley Friday or Saturday.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 12:20 Quote
There is a mix of open and closed Trails. In LA, They had been been closed but it looks like they are opening up the LA trails this weekend.
San Diego has a about 1/2 of the trails open. Riverside trails are open. Orange County has a mix of trails open last I heard.
I would check with a bike shop that is close to the trails you want to ride and ask them about the trail status.

Have fun

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 11:05 Quote
Thanks. Rode Simi this AM. Was open and awesome

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 15:19 Quote
Trails in OC are pretty much open. Whiting Ranch is a good loop--about 7 miles from parking lot back to the car with nothing too challenging--but they are closed for the next few days due to mountain lions being seen. Best to ride there when others are on the trail. I wouldn't recommend San Juan for a novice. There are some easier rides in Crystal Cove and Laguna Canyon, but expect to do some climbing. Aliso and Woods Canyon are more challenging trails.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 17:44 Quote
Hey guys gunna be down in LA for a couple days and looking to ride Mt Wilson. Shuttles are booked out like until August. Has anyone just parked at the bottom and Uber’d up with an UBER XL ? Or do you all know of any shuttle services for Sat or Sun this weekend for that ride still taking bookings?

Cheers

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
marcus8402 wrote:
Hey guys gunna be down in LA for a couple days and looking to ride Mt Wilson. Shuttles are booked out like until August. Has anyone just parked at the bottom and Uber’d up with an UBER XL ? Or do you all know of any shuttle services for Sat or Sun this weekend for that ride still taking bookings?

Cheers

Are there any routes to ride up? See road cyclists carving up and through the hills and I also see plenty of off-shooting (hiking) trails. On my trips to the observatory there are a good number of cyclists with their mountain bikes... Just want to put two and two together and figure out what the routes are.

I will ask next time I am up there! But if anyone here has recommendation or experiences they wanna share, I am all ears Smile

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004831
Mobile Version of Website