Hydration pack vs water bottle cage

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Hydration pack vs water bottle cage
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 2, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
Looking at osprey siskin 8L. Any recommendations for hydration pack? My theory is I can fit my tools, keys, spare tube and water.

Do some prefer bottle cage/tool pouch?

Posted: May 2, 2020 at 19:29 Quote
For colder days i don't mind a backpack, but I like my hip/fannypack, it is my favorite, just water bottle is fine for shorter rides. Tools on the bike is fine too, but food and water, extra clothing =pack. I strap my knee pads onto my handlebar, kinda under it so it doesn't bother me. Hot days I hate a backpack, but if I need to carry a lot it is best.
I have a Dakine nomad pack and dakine hotlaps 1.5 hip pack. I also have a bottle cage that I usually have an electrolyte drink in.

Posted: May 2, 2020 at 19:29 Quote
I definitely prefer bottle for rides under 2hrs in hot weather. I sweat a lot, so any chance to get that pack off my back. Zoic Ether shorts and I can stash most anything I could need.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
Elemieux wrote:
Looking at osprey siskin 8L. Any recommendations for hydration pack? My theory is I can fit my tools, keys, spare tube and water.

Do some prefer bottle cage/tool pouch?

Unless Osprey has recently started using a different bladder, they are not great but the packs are well made.

I prefer Camelbak bladders as most have quick release tubes and are easier to clean.

I typically run a bottle with electrolytes and a small hip pack with water.

Posted: May 3, 2020 at 14:10 Quote
I don't usually use a backpack in warm weather if I can help it. If I need to use one, I have an old model Deuter Race Air that I really like because the shoulder straps are made of a plastic mesh, and there is a tensioned mesh panel that keeps the bag totally of my back. It looks like Osprey's Syncro 5 is similar.

I also have a Dakine Hot Laps pack that works well and carriers all the basics. But, ideally, I'm much more comfortable when I let the bike carry everything.

Posted: May 3, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
I don't usually ride with a pack unless I'm out for a longer ride. E.g. if it would require more water than my one bottle, if I wanted more tools to avoid having a long walk home, or if I had layers that I might want to shed. Most of my rides I can get away with a bottle and a tool strapped to my frame. I just really like the free fun feeling of riding packless. I have an osprey and it works great, it's the perfect size to fit everything but still be compact.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2020 at 17:04 Quote
I used to ride with a Camelback and a ton of gear. Now I ride with an osprey savu hip pack. That gives me one water bottle on the bike and one in the pack. I have a third bottle for an electrolyte beverage. That gives me almost three hours of ride time. In the pack I have spare tube, phone, speaker, first aid supplies, duct tape and zip ties. I use the one up 100cc pump and edc tool and carry that on the bike.

Posted: May 3, 2020 at 18:10 Quote
As someone who sweats a lot the "one bottle for x hours" approach isn´t really viable for me, especially in hot weather.
I have an Evoc backpack which is nice because it offers a back protector and which i use for extended trips or when riding lift assisted, but for shorter days i´ve recently gotten an Evoc 5L hip pack. I´ve tried riding with just a basic fanny pack before committing to the Evoc and on the first ride i felt like it was the perfect solution for anything where you don´t need the increased carrying capacity of the backpack. Even the basic fanny pack wasn´t bothersome at all on the trail and not having you back covered is awesome. The Evoc sits A LOT lighter against your back/hips than a standard hip pack and therefore is barely noticeable. Without the water bladder it offers lots of space for pretty much anything you might wanna carry and with the bladder there´s still enough room for your essential gear. If anything you might have to tape your spare tube onto the frame, which i do anyways. So with the tube on the frame, i can fit all my essential, some snacks, the bladder (1.5l) and still have spare room for a compact rain jacket (only one of the super compressible ones though).
I then can either put a container for items into my bottle cage and carry even more stuff and put an extra water bottle on the hip pack (it has a bottle holder) or i can upgrade the water capacity to a whopping 2,5-3l if i really needed to by carrying 2 extra bottles. When not using the bottle holder on the pack it can also hold a decently sized rain jacket or thin extra layer, gloves etc.
The hip pack to me offers insane variability and is more comfortable on the trail. It also lets you decide on how much you actually want to store on the bike. For me it´s not either or, it´s which item is better stored on the bike or on myself and the hip pack lets me carry everthing i want while keeping things effortless and light.

The Evoc so far seems really great, but i got an extremely cheap deal on mine (65€ incl. bladder). Usually it´s one of the more expensive options.
The Dakine Hotlaps is a really good alternative and at about 60$ seems like a no brainer. You can easily get a backpack later if you need one, but i´m certain that a good hip pack will work for 95% of riders in almost all situations.

Posted: May 3, 2020 at 18:52 Quote
As much as I would prefer to ride without a pack I just find it way too convenient. My rides are suffer all the way up and then DH all the way down, so if you ride more xc your needs may vary.

Got this and love it. 2.5L, emergency tube goes in top pocket. Elbow pads, pump and tire levers go in big lower pocket. Keys and phone in small lower pocket.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/bike/R01015--Rogue?color=8fa21fcd5c6741458c34a09a0dc04930

Posted: May 3, 2020 at 19:13 Quote
I definitely prefer the water bottle when I can. Which sucks because it gets to hot around here to usually run just a bottle in the summer. I also have a Jeffsy, which limits me to 600 ml or roughly 20 oz of water. So unless we get a nice day in the 70's or below I'm stuck running a pack unless its a really short ride, or if there are water fountains.
I run a 1.5L Osprey Katari, which has been great, and it's pretty cheap, at $55 on Osprey's website.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 4:30 Quote
This PRO BIKE TOOL bike water bottle holder is awesome!!! I've been a cyclist for 41 years, and I can say with all confidence that this is the best! First off, this cage will hold the short and long water bottles. It is made with a CNC-machined aluminum alloy that guarantees optimum sturdiness. It also holds firm enough to handle most off-road conditions. Besides, it weights about 48g, which adds no burden to my ride.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 5:55 Quote
I always ride with my osprey Zealot pack. I carry lots of tools and spares and i honestly don't really feel my pack while riding.
if you do decide not to carry a pack and just carry your tools on your bike, make sure you have enough tools for what you want to do. I've come across multiple people who asked to borrow tire levers, multi-tool, or pump on the trail all while they have a tube strapped to their bike.
I guess its all about the "enduro" look.

If you want to carry minimal tools accept the fact that you are more likely to have to walk your bike out of the trail if you encounter a problem. other people may not pass or stop to help.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 6:02 Quote
DaltonBourne wrote:
This PRO BIKE TOOL bike water bottle holder is awesome!!! I've been a cyclist for 41 years, and I can say with all confidence that this is the best! First off, this cage will hold the short and long water bottles. It is made with a CNC-machined aluminum alloy that guarantees optimum sturdiness. It also holds firm enough to handle most off-road conditions. Besides, it weights about 48g, which adds no burden to my ride.

Every one of your posts seems to smell heavily of paid-for advertising, who do you work for?

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 7:51 Quote
TimMog wrote:
DaltonBourne wrote:

Every one of your posts seems to smell heavily of paid-for advertising, who do you work for?

Ron Popeil

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 9:42 Quote
TimMog wrote:
DaltonBourne wrote:

/conspiracy ON
Possibly Outside...his account was created 9 days after the announcement that PB was bought by Outdoor. That's just enough time for the orders to get down to marketing and start paying people to word-of-mouth advertise stuff.
/conspiracy OFF

I only use a pack because I really like not having to stop to get a drink. When I'm riding, I don't stop unless something forces me to do so or unless there's a particularly nice view. I'm sure there's some hip pack somewhere with a long tube, but I don't care enough to find it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009343
Mobile Version of Website