Stuck on choice! Help me decide kona vs rocky!

PB Forum :: 29ers
Stuck on choice! Help me decide kona vs rocky!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 3, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
Mornin y’all

Looking for some thoughts and feedback on a new ride

Town between the Rocky Mountain growler 40 and kona honzo!

Aaaaaaand go!

O+
Posted: May 3, 2020 at 21:22 Quote
Growler I think. The Honzo was a great bike - I rode the ti version for several seasons back in 2015. They haven't updated the geo since then - what? 5 year old geo? yup.

The growler has a 75 deg STA and 64 deg HTA that will steepen to 76/65 once sagged - perfect. Unless you want something a bit more XC feeling - but then why would you be looking at these two?

My only reservation is the rocky mtn seatpost - who makes that? and the suntour fork - i have no experience but it very well may be decent.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
definitely leary of a few parts of the growler buils ... the SX drivetrain is my main *eesh* point but you bring some good geo points.

Cheers!

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
If you ride smooth, flowy trails or want to speed uphill, the Honzo is a fun bike. If you want to charge through rock and technical and steep descents, but don't care how fast you get to the top, the Growler is better.

I test rode a Honzo and Big Honzo last fall. I really liked the bike, but didn't fall in love with the hard tail bounce. The Growler fits the technical chunk I ride. The SX drive train is going to stay until I need to replace it. The cassette and derailleur are top of the list. The WTB tires have been great in early season mud, but they are heavy. I have Maxxis Rekons ready for dry season riding. The Suntour fork on the 40 is ok. It is definitely worth considering the upgrade to the 50 just for the Rock Shox.

The Honzo will feel quicker on many "trail" conditions, especially uphill. The Growler will charge harder through chunk and steep like a hard tail enduro bike.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010447
Mobile Version of Website