Rockshox fork Service and suck down

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rockshox fork Service and suck down
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 3, 2020 at 22:20 Quote
I’ve been having issues with my 2017 Pike. First I was getting the infamous suck down where it was stuck in mid/low travel. The zip tie and pull/yank hacks didn’t solve it so I took the lowers off, removed the air spring, cleaned and relubed. I couldn’t find a seal kit locally so I reused wipers and o rings ect.

I’m still experiencing issues with pressure. With the zip tie method I’m getting a significant air hiss out under the dust wiper. I’m loosing air pressure and the fork is sucking down again. I’ve tried almost every trick I’ve read about.

All my o rings looked good and I don’t see scratches on any component. Would a new seal kit solve these problems?

I’ve also seen Rockshox made a Debonaire upgrade kit for my model pike. Is that a worthy investment?

I should also mentioned I had a full 200 hour service done in November (professionally)

Posted: May 4, 2020 at 16:01 Quote
I'd shoot for a new air spring. Yes the debonair would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 4:31 Quote
New air spring seals should sort it out, o-ring damage can be nearly impossible to see.

But a Debonair is a nice upgrade and probably not much more than a kit.

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
Sounds like you have two issues but they could both be caused by a damaged seal on the air spring.

If the air spring is in good shape, suck down is the equalization port being clogged.

I also had a fork, "professionally done" and their work was horrible. I had it apart and they seemed to have used 2 tablespoons of Vaselene on the spring as grease during assembly.

The equalization port is a small dimple (about the size of a grain of rice) inside the rider's left stanchion about 2" from the bottom. Make sure it's fully cleaned out (use alcohol and a lint-free rag). It can get clogged if the fork is assembled with too much grease. Since it's a dimple, the spring's motion won't clean it out for you and you'll keep getting fork suck.

The Debonair spring is a cheap and good upgrade. If the fork's already apart, do it. This will also let you know if the air spring was the issue.

Do all this and if it's still leaking, you've got a seal issue.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021119
Mobile Version of Website