Reviving my 2001 Superlight

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Reviving my 2001 Superlight
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 5, 2020 at 16:24 Quote
What do you guys think? I built my bike up then with some of the better components available, but a lot has changed. I have thought about updating it some to be rideable now. I don't need it have my HTLT, but it might be fun to ride from time to time.

My concern is dropper, hydraulic brakes. Post is a 27.2, which IDK if there are droppers that size. This frame has the slots for the cables, old school. I have seen a pic recently of a bolt and clamp system to hold a hydraulic line that attaches to the slots where the cable housings end and start.

I have a set of XT brakes I could use. Drivetrain is XT/XTR 2x8, which still works. I think I could make the wheels tubeless, not sure if the rims would hold tubeless tires well enough, mavic 517's laced to CK hubs. They are disc wheels.

Tire clearance is the other thing, limited to probably 2.25 rear if I am lucky.

Shock is blown, cannot be rebuilt. I believe I can still get the size, maybe used. Fork is a Vanilla coil which works well, porbably service it again.

Thoughts?

Posted: May 5, 2020 at 16:29 Quote
Also, a part of me wants to leave it as is, as a piece of memorabilia and hang it on the wall.

Posted: May 5, 2020 at 18:24 Quote
Here are a couple pics from a few years ago. Set up the same, just a little dirtier now.

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 10:59 Quote
Nothing guys?

leaning toward just cleaning it up and making it wall art for now.

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 17:12 Quote
Can't believe you guys don't have any opinions. LOL

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
I had the same year in green ano. Damn I used to ride down the mountain just so I could pass people on the way up. Check the swing arm around the pivot bolt they crack there and Santa Cruz did a fix the next year or two. Otherwise superlit

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 16:24 Quote
Back then, it was my "all mountain" bike, its all we had and we rode all the gnarliest stuff. Not now though!

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 16:26 Quote
I did find out that external droppers are available in 27.2mm, and also found the brake line guides for the cable stops.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 5:22 Quote
You can get a brandX 27.2 dropper for little $. Just drill out the cable slot side, run through the complete cable and hold in place with zip tie, or you can try to fit U-clips (like amazon B08BR1YKXS but finding the right size is difficult).

I love the ideas of having old school geometry and refreshed a 2011 Fuji reveal. It's a lot of fun just because its different, but don't expect to brake speed records. To make it good you will need a newer fork and flater head angle. Unfortunately nearly all decent forks have a 1.5" tapered steerer and won't fit. Wouldn't go too wide on the tires, with the thin rims the smaller width bites better in the corners.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 18:14 Quote
I have been chopping and changing my 2002 Heckler for a long time. I still enjoy riding it and that is what matters in the end. Your SL looks great, I don't think you have that much to do.

I would go for hydraulic brakes, leave the drivetrain as-is and maybe look at a 1x one day when the existing drivetrain dies and you get the urge, maybe a shorter 65mm or so stem coupled with wider bars.

Grab a Fox RP23 shock which makes a big change and well worth it. If you can with a newer bushings that don't wear as fast (TFtuned or Betd have these).

I have a 2.25 Ardent on the rear of mine and that just fits plus a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front with similar era Fox Forks as yours. I have my forks at 120mm now and it feels more planted overall but not trying to be a Nomad either.

Do you *really* need a dropper on it? The SL will never be the best choice for chunky stuff anyhow. It will always be a great bike for longish XC-ish trail rides.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
Thanks.

I resolved to leaving it as a time piece for my garage. If I had some money laying around I did not need, I would update it, but for now, going to clean it up and make it a wall hanger.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 0:37 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Thanks.

I resolved to leaving it as a time piece for my garage. If I had some money laying around I did not need, I would update it, but for now, going to clean it up and make it a wall hanger.

Fair enough. Don't leave ut up there too long.

We will have to race them one day.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 4:36 Quote
Probably kill myself. Haha.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007026
Mobile Version of Website