Cracked Jeffsy frame, no warranty?

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Cracked Jeffsy frame, no warranty?
Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
dvp8 wrote:
I filed a warranty claim for a rear triangle in April 2020. YT accepted. Still haven't gotten anything. I got 3 emails near the end of 2020 saying that my claim had been completed. I emailed them about this and they said it was a software issue and that the claim is still outstanding. I've given up. Never experienced anything like it before.

That’s really bad. 10 months? Think their sponsored riders or flat bill hat wearing employee bros are told that their claims are outstanding, or do you get the feeling that they just do not give a shit about the customer?

Very short sighted. I’ve bought four new YT’s in the last 2.5 years and my last bike purchase was a Pivot. I couldn’t even get YT to respond to me when I wanted to buy another bike last year, so I took my money elsewhere. Sadly, you get what you pay for and the common theme is that us customers get treated like we don’t matter.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
monsieurgage wrote:

Go and buy direct to consumer then. Oh YT does the bare minimum that is pretty much industry standard? Great but not so great with a lot of things related to the rest of the customer service.

Follow up from RM on broken bikes has been a recall on a lot of frames, not the slayer though. If I remember correctly they called it a "prototype issue"? not sure what the outcome was. Personally that chainstay looked a little thin, despite this I see people on the shore sending it on their slayers. I would like some numbers from all bike companies on the total frame failures and warranty claims placed with outcomes made public.

Point to RM though is that it is still a local company based out of North Van, BC and does give back to the trail organizations while sponsoring local riders and more importantly diggers. No trails are sponsored by YT and no one who digs gets a deal from them here (that I know of and I am pretty sure I have never seen Tippie pick up a shovel).

One point that separates direct to consumer is the ability to speak to someone in your community to affect change or address an issue. You can wait for an email, play phone tag, or wait on a phone line for hours with direct to consumer. On the other hand you could walk into your shop and talk to the guys you know from ride days, mechanical fixes, buying bike bling, and the original purchase of your bike. They will probably help you out and do the heavy lifting on the warranty.

I do not see long service times at the shop. I walk in they address an issue and offer up a few options. Here are some abridged snippets from conversations with them.....

Sorry man, no 12 speed derailleurs, want 11 speed to get riding? Yeah you can return unused parts, no problem. No DT rims, Stans has been solid with supply want one of those? No 40mm stems but we can get a 35mm from Chromag next week or Oneup by Friday. DD assagais are in, can I put one aside for you? Oh man those connectormajigs are cheap, just take one. Don't buy (insert small but needed mechanical part) take one of ours. A rip in the side wall, no beuno, take a look in the recycling bin to pick out a free tire, just make sure to inspect it first. Shit your bike broke? How about a hardtail as a plus one while we get a warranty sorted (this after long talks about hardtails on the shore). Or the shop guy is selling his ride and can give you a deal. We (NSB) can offer 500 off a new complete or a deal on a frame. Alternatively the boys at NSMB might have a bike for cheap, let me ask.

What is my disjointed point. Well, the local shop knows me because I found one I jive with and go to often. They offer multiple solutions and are generous where they can be and we have all heard about the margins bike shops run. YT does not do a lot of good things to distinguish themselves or rise above the bare minimum to earn my dollars. Lots of companies doing better. IMHO.

Actually Rocky Mountain said the Slayer that broke was full production https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-2020-rocky-mountain-slayer-carbon-90.html. As I said earlier, all bikes can break regardless of material or manufacturer.

I don't see how YT inspecting the OPs frame and making the case that it did not break due to a manufacture defect is the bare minimum. They have the right to honor or not honor warranty claims. They also have the right to not get bent over by any person who crashes or damages their bike and demands a brand new one.

In my experience with YT they went way above and beyond the bare minimum. I had a creek in my horst link that I incorrectly thought was the BB. YT contacted Sram on my behalf (doing the "heavy lifting" that you are referring to), asked a few clarifying questions about the BB, and eventually sent me a new one. I took the time to install it but only after the fact did I realize the horst link just needed a bit of grease. The bare minimum would have been to tell me to contact Sram myself and who knows what they would have done.

Just a few months ago I asked YT if they sold replacement chainstay guards as the corner of mine was starting to peel off a bit. The next day they had a brand new one in the mail for free. Again, not the bare minimum service.

Last year I developed some play in the hub of my E13 TRS plus wheel. YT contacted E13 on my behalf and E13 sent out a brand new wheel for free and they didn't even require the damaged wheel be sent back to them. Great service from both parties.

And YT, like many other brands, does donate and is active in their community https://www.pinkbike.com/news/yt-announces-tax-break-donation.html

And another example of YT working with one of their sponsored riders to raise money for charity https://www.pinkbike.com/news/26k-raised-for-charity-with-neko-mulallys-world-champs-yt.html

Although you don't seem to realize that the two stories above plus your examples from Rocky Mountain are basic examples of cause marketing; for profit companies "doing good" (increasing profit) by "doing better" (donating, supporting a cause, etc). It doesn't mean they love you, it means they want to make money and if there is a win win out of the marketing effort then so be it.

I find it pretty ironic that you're not willing to ride a YT because you think it will explode at any second but it sounds like you're ok with running a free, recycling bin tire....

I will say that I have heard the service from YT in Canada and Europe is hit or miss so I don't deny you've had a bad experience. I guarantee you YT is not the only brand that can't provide customers with warranty parts right now. It's not up to them, it's up to the supply chain. The same goes for bike shops. They have some parts and some components but certain things are out of stock and will be for the entire year! Many bike brands have posted about lead times of 13+ months from component manufacturers like Shimano and Velo saddles. Just because you have to wait a long ass time does not mean YT is a piece of shit company that makes crappy bikes. 2020 was a crazy year for the bike industry and we're still feeling the effects.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 16:31 Quote
Camstyn wrote:
dvp8 wrote:
I filed a warranty claim for a rear triangle in April 2020. YT accepted. Still haven't gotten anything. I got 3 emails near the end of 2020 saying that my claim had been completed. I emailed them about this and they said it was a software issue and that the claim is still outstanding. I've given up. Never experienced anything like it before.

That’s really bad. 10 months? Think their sponsored riders or flat bill hat wearing employee bros are told that their claims are outstanding, or do you get the feeling that they just do not give a shit about the customer?

Very short sighted. I’ve bought four new YT’s in the last 2.5 years and my last bike purchase was a Pivot. I couldn’t even get YT to respond to me when I wanted to buy another bike last year, so I took my money elsewhere. Sadly, you get what you pay for and the common theme is that us customers get treated like we don’t matter.

Yeah I've moved on. Sent 50 emails over the summer. Constant follow up. Gave up and took the financial hit on a new bike.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 7:57 Quote
monsieurgage wrote:
PACNW-MTB wrote:
monsieurgage wrote:

Go and buy direct to consumer then. Oh YT does the bare minimum that is pretty much industry standard? Great but not so great with a lot of things related to the rest of the customer service.

Follow up from RM on broken bikes has been a recall on a lot of frames, not the slayer though. If I remember correctly they called it a "prototype issue"? not sure what the outcome was. Personally that chainstay looked a little thin, despite this I see people on the shore sending it on their slayers. I would like some numbers from all bike companies on the total frame failures and warranty claims placed with outcomes made public.

Point to RM though is that it is still a local company based out of North Van, BC and does give back to the trail organizations while sponsoring local riders and more importantly diggers. No trails are sponsored by YT and no one who digs gets a deal from them here (that I know of and I am pretty sure I have never seen Tippie pick up a shovel).

One point that separates direct to consumer is the ability to speak to someone in your community to affect change or address an issue. You can wait for an email, play phone tag, or wait on a phone line for hours with direct to consumer. On the other hand you could walk into your shop and talk to the guys you know from ride days, mechanical fixes, buying bike bling, and the original purchase of your bike. They will probably help you out and do the heavy lifting on the warranty.

I do not see long service times at the shop. I walk in they address an issue and offer up a few options. Here are some abridged snippets from conversations with them.....

Sorry man, no 12 speed derailleurs, want 11 speed to get riding? Yeah you can return unused parts, no problem. No DT rims, Stans has been solid with supply want one of those? No 40mm stems but we can get a 35mm from Chromag next week or Oneup by Friday. DD assagais are in, can I put one aside for you? Oh man those connectormajigs are cheap, just take one. Don't buy (insert small but needed mechanical part) take one of ours. A rip in the side wall, no beuno, take a look in the recycling bin to pick out a free tire, just make sure to inspect it first. Shit your bike broke? How about a hardtail as a plus one while we get a warranty sorted (this after long talks about hardtails on the shore). Or the shop guy is selling his ride and can give you a deal. We (NSB) can offer 500 off a new complete or a deal on a frame. Alternatively the boys at NSMB might have a bike for cheap, let me ask.

What is my disjointed point. Well, the local shop knows me because I found one I jive with and go to often. They offer multiple solutions and are generous where they can be and we have all heard about the margins bike shops run. YT does not do a lot of good things to distinguish themselves or rise above the bare minimum to earn my dollars. Lots of companies doing better. IMHO.

None of these things amount to the, "shitty customer service" that you claimed from YT (which you have zero personal experience with). You simply point out differences of business models between a brand that sells through brick-and-mortar and a direct-to-consumer brand.

You are entitled to your own preference between the two business models, and by all means you should spend your money where you want, but to call YT's customer service "shitty" based on your preference is a stretch.

I have/had a YT Jeffsy, two warranty claims and the better part of a year wasted.

Man you are still at it! Troll of trolls! Stop going into every YT post and trying to defend their piss poor service.
Your YT will never break when all you do is ride walking paths on it.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 8:05 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
monsieurgage wrote:
PACNW-MTB wrote:

None of these things amount to the, "shitty customer service" that you claimed from YT (which you have zero personal experience with). You simply point out differences of business models between a brand that sells through brick-and-mortar and a direct-to-consumer brand.

You are entitled to your own preference between the two business models, and by all means you should spend your money where you want, but to call YT's customer service "shitty" based on your preference is a stretch.

I have/had a YT Jeffsy, two warranty claims and the better part of a year wasted.

Man you are still at it! Troll of trolls! Stop going into every YT post and trying to defend their piss poor service.

1. Read the words! I gave a factual account of my actual experience. That is a far cry from, "defending".

2. You have no idea what/where I ride.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
monsieurgage wrote:

1. Read the words! I gave a factual account of my actual experience. That is a far cry from, "defending".

2. You have no idea what/where I ride.

Just like a little obedient dog. All people have to do is reply to your comment and you come running over for a troll treat. Good job Fido.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
Just like a little obedient dog. All people have to do is reply to your comment and you come running over for a troll treat. Good job Fido.
That you unironically say that while rushing to rely to him is really top shit...

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
That you unironically say that while rushing to rely to him is really top shit...

Nice spelling and sentence structure. I can see that 3rd grade education working real well......

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 9:43 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
Nice spelling and sentence structure. I can see that 3rd grade education working real well......
It took you a whole day, and clapping back at a phone autotext mistake was the best you could come up with. Jesus bro, knew you were a joke but didn't realize you were just a sad joke.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
It took you a whole day, and clapping back at a phone autotext mistake was the best you could come up with. Jesus bro, knew you were a joke but didn't realize you were just a sad joke.

you cant help yourself can you? you just have to be involved. go ride your bike man.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
you cant help yourself can you? you just have to be involved. go ride your bike man.
We both know I ride more than you, even after two weeks off the bike I bet I've still got more miles and hours riding this month than you do.

Take your own advice, you're a failure as a troll... go practice riding.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 15:59 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
We both know I ride more than you, even after two weeks off the bike I bet I've still got more miles and hours riding this month than you do.

Take your own advice, you're a failure as a troll... go practice riding.

Failure? you keep replying so even if i was a troll im winning lol?

I've been doing about 25km everyday on my MTB(sometimes more, weekends way more)), before work, after work, I even ride my road bike to work.
So i dont think you even get close to me little puppy, dont bark up this tree.

But 2 weeks off your bike??? it shows, you're on here being a knobhead

Again, see my other post, any kinda Drama and you're there... you're american man, show us how great you are, by for once not being a dickhead

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
so even if i was a troll im winning?

Trolls don't win, even when they, "win". Everybody loses. Stop being a troll. Don't be a dickhead.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 16:30 Quote
Jesus f*cking christ how old are you guys

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 17:40 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Failure? you keep replying so even if i was a troll im winning lol?

I've been doing about 25km everyday on my MTB(sometimes more, weekends way more)), before work, after work, I even ride my road bike to work.
So i dont think you even get close to me little puppy, dont bark up this tree.

But 2 weeks off your bike??? it shows, you're on here being a knobhead

Again, see my other post, any kinda Drama and you're there... you're american man, show us how great you are, by for once not being a dickhead
The only one stirring up drama is you... this is now two separate threads that your obsession with me has carried you to, desperately trying to get my attention.

25km a day, that's cute, what do you do after that warm up? Come back and try again when you start doing grown up sized rides. I'm averaging 165km a week after taking two weeks off.

Like I said, take your own advice... try not being a dick and avoiding drama instead of trying so hard to create it.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008077
Mobile Version of Website