Frame only aluminum 27.5?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Frame only aluminum 27.5?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 8, 2020 at 22:32 Quote
Why is it getting so hard to buy a frame only bike? Are bike companies really selling more bikes than they can produce? I get that they make more money off full bikes but not doing frame only is just another sale they're missing out on.

I have almost everything I need to build up a new bike and am looking for something in 150mm rear travel. Looks like I'll be buying a bronson because I think it's my only option. Only concern is bb height seems a bit low and I do a lot of pedaling for my downs.

(yt said no, pivot has gone to carbon only, miiight look at rm but their geometry looks like it's built around the 37 fork offset they come with)

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 22:38 Quote
Banshee Rune. Knolly Warden. Both are 160mm though.

O+
Posted: May 8, 2020 at 23:12 Quote
This

knolly warden would be my choice.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 0:17 Quote
HaH I should have gotten in on the last model of the Warden. 460mm reach in size L and I wouldn't need a new back wheel. Looks like they only have it in XL left.

As far as the new warden the reviews sounds really good but there is no way I'd even consider 500mm reach in a L (which I should be at 6'0) without getting to demo one. That frankly seems insane. Even the medium is longer than I would typically look for in reach. It's also about the most expensive aluminum frame you can buy, but I guess that's expected from a smaller manufacturer.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2020 at 0:27 Quote
I'm 6'2" and ride the XL carbon warden (the old geo) it is def not long. I need a 50mm stem on that bike for sure. I also ride the XL process 134 which has a 510 reach - it is fine with a 35mm stem. 500 if you are 6"0" with a 35mm stem is prob fine.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 0:47 Quote
Yeah a large in the last model is exactly in the geo that I consider ideal. I can't imagine what an extra 40mm of reach would do. Would have to try it. Regardless their aluminum pricing is on par with most companies carbon. Not saying it's not worth it as I prefer aluminum but it puts it out of my price range.

OTE canada offered me a good deal on a pivot mach 6 carbon frame that I'm considering. If they're blowing them out I can't help but wonder if there is a new model coming or if they're just killing 27.5 period. Makes me nervous about any kind of warranty support.

I wish bike companies would start consulting me before deciding what kind of bikes to make Big Grin lol

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 2:11 Quote
What about a frame from the other side of the pond? Bird are selling off Aeris 145 frames at the moment and they are saying on their website that they are still shipping globally.

https://www.bird.bike/product/aeris-145-frameset/#configuration

Frame data....

https://www.bird.bike/product/aeris-145-frameset/#configuration

The ML is 480mm reach which might be bob on for you.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
Rocky Mountain still sells frames. Their Altitude or Instinct (BC) may be what you are looking for. Plus I see guys selling “frame only” on PinkBike’s BuySell.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 7:46 Quote
Pivot Mach 6 155 mm..they sell frame only, aluminum $999
It is exactly what you want.

https://store.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-mach-6-aluminum-1

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 9:27 Quote
kaibabylon wrote:
Pivot Mach 6 155 mm..they sell frame only, aluminum $999
It is exactly what you want.

https://store.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-mach-6-aluminum-1

Sold out except small and xl, and they're not making any more aluminum. It was top of my list

DonLopez wrote:
Rocky Mountain still sells frames. Their Altitude or Instinct (BC) may be what you are looking for. Plus I see guys selling “frame only” on PinkBike’s BuySell.

Aluminum frame only for the altitude isn't on the website only carbon. I was a little concerned that the frame seems to be designed around a 37mm offset fork and I'll be using my bomber z1, but it looks like the 2018 model had the same Geo and either a 44/46mm offset fork. I think emailing them is going to be my last chance

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
Why is it getting so hard to buy a frame only bike? Are bike companies really selling more bikes than they can produce? I get that they make more money off full bikes but not doing frame only is just another sale they're missing out on.

I have almost everything I need to build up a new bike and am looking for something in 150mm rear travel. Looks like I'll be buying a bronson because I think it's my only option. Only concern is bb height seems a bit low and I do a lot of pedaling for my downs.

(yt said no, pivot has gone to carbon only, miiight look at rm but their geometry looks like it's built around the 37 fork offset they come with)

Get the bronson. It’s a rad bike. You’ll learn to avoid pedal strikes in a matter of days.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 11:06 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
friendlyfoe wrote:

Get the bronson. It’s a rad bike. You’ll learn to avoid pedal strikes in a matter of days.

You say that buuuuut, actually it should be fine. In the high setting I think I'd be losing 3mm of BB height over my current 2014 giant trance (and I get plenty of pedal strikes now), but I'm also going to switch to 170mm cranks to better accommodate my short inseam (6'0, 30-31" inseam. Yeah I should be in a circus).

I'm definitely considering the Bronson. One of my main concerns is actually what the quality of their aluminum manufacturing is and difference in frame weights. I feel like they don't put as much care into their Al bikes as other manufacturers purely based on appearance.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
Santa Cruz makes high quality alloy frames, and you get their warranty on top of that.

Brands I've found to make a higher quality, finished alloy frame that they sell without components:
Commencal
Transition
Santa Cruz
Specialized
Knolly

There could be more. I've heard Nukeproof bikes have a high quality, and they sell frame only.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
Transition and commencal would be top of list if they made a bike in the travel/wheel size I'm looking for.

I already have a 140/150 bike and am looking for 10mm more squish without going full enduro

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 15:20 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
Transition and commencal would be top of list if they made a bike in the travel/wheel size I'm looking for.

I already have a 140/150 bike and am looking for 10mm more squish without going full enduro

I am a bit upset Commencal doesn't make a 27.5 All Mountain bike. I'm not a fan of 29" wheels either. They only have freeride or dh bikes with 27.5 now. Hopefully in a few years they will bring back 27.5 to their AM and TR bikes..

I personally think you could be happy with the Transition Patrol if you have any urge to go with a bigger bike, based on what I'm reading you want out of a bike. It's definitely not full enduro. It can be used as an enduro bike, but its more agile, more nimble, better at climbing and better on flatter trails than a lot of Enduro race bikes. I've ridden one for 10 minutes, and it felt snappier than other enduro bikes. All the reviews online say the same thing. Watch the BikeMag review for it.

If I were in your shoes, buying an alloy 150mm frame that's superb quality, I'd be debating the Stumpjumper Evo or Bronson. I've ridden the Bronson, albeit for a short run, but it felt awesome initially. The Stumpjumper in theory would be more plush and ground hugging than the Bronson, but easier to bottom out at their respective recommended sags, and harder to manual and lean off the back with the longer chain stays.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008981
Mobile Version of Website