Can't get buy/sell people to respond!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Can't get buy/sell people to respond!
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 14, 2020 at 18:28 Quote
I like 2 Konas in the classifieds and have messaged both people but they don't respond. Am I doing something wrong?

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
How much time did you give them? Where they online when you sent the message? Just a few things to think about. Also take into account the posters time zone.

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
It's been two days for one person and one day for the other. Allegedly the one person is in my same town...

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
There are a lot of variables that you cant control when it comes to people responding to sale posts inquires, but there are some you can .

My advise is to update your profile with a picture and demographic info, and in general try and be a bit active on the forum or comments section of the main page.

Personally, I perceive a greater risk of scam when I am dealing with someone responding from a new account. Its difficult to know where someone is located when they have no demographic info on their profile.

I prefer to engage with people who have a history on this website, it give me confidence as I can (at least partly) get an estimate of character, and it gives me confidence when I am conducting transactions that are not local. The person local to you may not even you know that you are near by.

welcome aboard and good luck.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 11:06 Quote
Gotcha, OK thank you. The only reason I even made an account was because my neighbor told me about the website this week and I jumped on and was happy to find some Hardtail Konas immediately, but now can't get them to respond. One of the ads even says "text me" but there's no number in the ad!

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
Some people are just awful at responding to adds. And I believe there is function designed into the site to block a sellers phone number from being seen by brand new accounts.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
Having the same issue. I understand i'm a brand new account but i'm also brand new to this world. I updated my account so hopefully i dont look too fake. But people view the message and choose not to respond at all.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 16:45 Quote
I always give sellers my phone #. If they are too skeered or lazy to call me, I move on.

Might check FB Marketplace. I am not a FB person, but have used my wife's account with good success.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I always give sellers my phone #. If they are too skeered or lazy to call me, I move on.

Might check FB Marketplace. I am not a FB person, but have used my wife's account with good success.

Unfortunately for me I live in Southeast Texas where this isnt as common. I gave my phone number to a few people then i read the death threats at the bottom of the message page where Admin will cut your nuts off if you try to use email or phone to make a deal. lol I guess its not enforced that strictly?

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 16:54 Quote
What? You are not supposed to give someone your phone # via message about something they have for sale, when theirs is often right in the ad? They expect you to just do business via message with no knowledge of the person you are doing business with. That doesn't add up, and no way would I ever do business that way unless it was a sight like ebay that allowed payment and provided "some" protrction. I avoid ebay, btw.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
It says nothing about engaging them in a phone call.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 18:09 Quote
Says “Keep Conversations on pinkbike messages”.

Correct it does say users that suggest you email or text them will be banned.

So a little contradiction or a loophole?

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 18:19 Quote
haha, may be.

I guess if there is a phone # in the ad, and you call it and leave VM to call you back, nothing wrong there. That is what I have done for the most part. Unfortunately, this site cannot really be managed like another site I used to sell a lot of stuff on, which is a dirt bike forum. great system, had a BIN option, feedback, and if you had issues, the owner of the site got involved. We almost exclusively used PP friends and it was understood. Great community and never had an issue. Parted out 3 bikes and bought a whole bunch of stuff there. Hard to replicate it.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
1. If someone isn't responding don't be arsed waiting for them. Not everyone monitors their account, not everyone is going to make a deal.

2. I've bought and sold plenty on PB and never had an issue with anyone, nor have I ever talked to anyone on the phone--written messages are a path to resolution if someone tries to pull a fast one (and you're using an intermediary like PayPal, as you should be), phone calls are hearsay.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 18:46 Quote
I agree that a certain amount of written communication is good, but talking to someone directly has always allowed me to gauge what type of person I am dealing with. For a part, written likely ok. For a bike, I want to talk to someone as well. Generational gap maybe...

I could be wrong, but I don't see PB doing much of anything for a deal gone wrong, and PP could be a toss up as well.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009705
Mobile Version of Website