NOBL 32 or 33?

PB Forum :: 29ers
NOBL 32 or 33?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 15, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
So I’m thinking of putting a set of NOBL wheels on my 2017 Transition Smuggler. Now I’m just an old guy who doesn’t get too rowdy anymore and I’m still riding the stock RF wheels that are heavy AF. Lighter carbon wheels should go a long way to making the bike a lot more snappy.

Any thoughts?

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
Ive owned 2 sets of NOBL wheels and I absolutely love them. My first set was a set TR33's on Onxy Original hubs and my new set are the TR36's on ONYX Vespers.
The TR33's are 27mm Inner width.

The 32's I think only come in 28 hole rims. Im 6'1" 205lbs so I need 32 hole wheels. But the 32s will be lighter and plenty sturdy ( depending on your weight). But you cant go wrong with either rim.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 22:20 Quote
Three6ty wrote:
Ive owned 2 sets of NOBL wheels and I absolutely love them. My first set was a set TR33's on Onxy Original hubs and my new set are the TR36's on ONYX Vespers.
The TR33's are 27mm Inner width.

The 32's I think only come in 28 hole rims. Im 6'1" 205lbs so I need 32 hole wheels. But the 32s will be lighter and plenty sturdy ( depending on your weight). But you cant go wrong with either rim.

Thanks for the input. Not sure if I’m going to go with NOBL yet but if I do it’ll be TR33 with Hope hubs.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
I will say this about their rims. They are tough and hold up well.
I ride a mix of Enduro and Bike Park a majority of the time, where I also need to climb to the top. ( no Chair lift).
My First set I put about 1700 miles on them and really only messed with them when I would get a bike tune-up. They never got out of round and the mechanic always told me he didn't have to do much as far as truing them up.
My second set I already have 700 miles on them and it's the same thing.
Again this is coming from someone who weighs 205lbs, so I definitely put them thru the ringer.
In fact I cased a big step up on Sunday, and I thought for sure I damaged my rear wheel with the way I landed, and It is undamaged and still round. If I had an aluminum rim on, it would have bent bent for sure.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 20:48 Quote
Three6ty wrote:
I will say this about their rims. They are tough and hold up well.
I ride a mix of Enduro and Bike Park a majority of the time, where I also need to climb to the top. ( no Chair lift).
My First set I put about 1700 miles on them and really only messed with them when I would get a bike tune-up. They never got out of round and the mechanic always told me he didn't have to do much as far as truing them up.
My second set I already have 700 miles on them and it's the same thing.
Again this is coming from someone who weighs 205lbs, so I definitely put them thru the ringer.
In fact I cased a big step up on Sunday, and I thought for sure I damaged my rear wheel with the way I landed, and It is undamaged and still round. If I had an aluminum rim on, it would have bent bent for sure.

Good luck whichever way you go.

I was curious to find out if any larger riders have had any issues with the Vespers slipping or breaking but it sounds like they've held up quite well for you. I'm also kinda heavy (Usually between 210-220 lbs) and I'm into power lifting so chintzy hubs, cranks and spindles are a no go for me.

I'm in the market for some NOBL wheels and I almost pulled the trigger on a set with the vespers but then I read the description below which made me second guess. I don't really want to go with the Onyx classics because I'm not sure if the extra un-sprung weight justifies the silence when comparing to the much lighter and I assume more durable i9 hydras for the same price. I really like the idea of silent hubs but I may just go with the i9 hydras for reduced weight and peace of mind.

"Onyx offers two versions of their hub. The lightweight Vesper which utilizes a smaller clutch and is best suited for XC and general trail riding , and the classic Onyx hub which is burlier and suited for heavier riders, or DH/E-bike applications."

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 16:23 Quote
I’m debating whether or not I should cancel my order for Onyx Vesper hubs being that I’m 200 pounds in ride hard hate to spend all this money on a high-end build and have the hubs not hold up one local bike shop canceled there onyx hub deal as a result of too many hub failures!!

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 14:55 Quote
So an update on my Nobl rims built with Onyx Vesper hubs from above.
I still have not had to touch my wheelset or hubs. I now have 2.5 years,285 rides 3,783 miles on my wheels and they are still as smooth and crisp as the day I bought them.

And again I am 6'1", 205Lbs and these are not babied. Enduro, Bike Park, Jump sessions, etc.

I would not hesitate for a second to purchase this same set up again.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 18:51 Quote
So you have the original version of the Vesper hubs that first came out? There is definitely known problems with them!! Onyx just told me they fixed all the initial problems that they had with the vesper hubs!! One guy at Onyx told me since I’m 200 pounds I should go with the classic Then another guy told me the Vesper would be fine!! I may just go with the new Hadley center lock hubs rear 295g and front at 129g boost Hubs with rear xd ti driver!!
Thanks for your input!!

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
Yep Vespers had only been out for a couple months when I ordered my wheels. They have been great with no problems.
200+ lb rider.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006912
Mobile Version of Website