Sram 12 speed vs Shimano 12 speed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Sram 12 speed vs Shimano 12 speed
  • Next Page
Posted: May 18, 2020 at 9:02 Quote
I think I'm just gonna stick to 12 speeds.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
They just released Deore 12 speed. That would be heavier and cheaper when compared to slx. I may try it sometime down the road myself.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 16:16 Quote
Gohogwild wrote:
They just released Deore 12 speed. That would be heavier and cheaper when compared to slx. I may try it sometime down the road myself.

If you do, let me know how you like

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 18:07 Quote
benbenbeast wrote:
Hello,
I am looking to upgrade my Shimano 2x9 Altus drivetrain to a 1x12. I am stuck between the Sram NX Eagle and the Shimano SLX 12 speed. From what I heard, the slx is cheaper, so that means that I can use that money for a freehub body. So, if anyone has suggestions please post them and why.

There is a constraint on your side. 2x9 Altus based on your Shimano FreeHub (HG) body so if you would like to upgrade to something better you should rely on the system which compatible with your FreeHub body.

All new 12sp Shimano requires also new Micro Spline hub body includes a new 12 sp Deore. This means that you have to change the rear FreeHub to MicroSpline( replace hub on your wheel or fully replace the wheel).

You have also a couple new options:
a. Go with 11 sp Shimano transmission (they are compatible with old freehub bodies) and you will be really happy because 50 tooth stars not always needed.
b. to go with Sram NX/SX series 12 sp which is compatible with FreeHub.

Note:
1. Ask to check your FreeHub body with your local mechanic because they might be short to fit 10/11/12 sp cassettes.
2. With a drivetrain upgrade, you have to replace also cassette, rear derailer, and shifter.
3. Your front chainring should be compatible with the new system. The high-speed system uses narrow chains and has specific requirements for all components.
4. Sram 12sp Eagle GX/XX1/X01 requires its own type of rear hub - XD.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 18:13 Quote
krasinv wrote:
benbenbeast wrote:
Hello,
I am looking to upgrade my Shimano 2x9 Altus drivetrain to a 1x12. I am stuck between the Sram NX Eagle and the Shimano SLX 12 speed. From what I heard, the slx is cheaper, so that means that I can use that money for a freehub body. So, if anyone has suggestions please post them and why.

There is a constraint on your side. 2x9 Altus based on your Shimano FreeHub (HG) body so if you would like to upgrade to something better you should rely on the system which compatible with your FreeHub body.

All new 12sp Shimano requires also new Micro Spline hub body includes a new 12 sp Deore. This means that you have to change the rear FreeHub to MicroSpline( replace hub on your wheel or fully replace the wheel).

a. Go with 11 sp Shimano transmission (they are compatible with old freehub bodies) and you will be really happy because 50 tooth stars not always needed.

Note:
1. Ask to check your FreeHub body with your local mechanic because they might be short to fit 10/11/12 sp cassettes.
2. With a drivetrain upgrade, you have to replace also cassette, rear derailer, and shifter.
3. Your front chainring should be compatible with the new system. The high-speed system uses narrow chains and has specific requirements for all components.

Thank you for all of this great information. If I decided not to get an NX Eagle, I may buy a spank hex hub and get the xd/microspline driver body so the drivetrains will work.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 18:22 Quote
benbenbeast wrote:
krasinv wrote:
benbenbeast wrote:
Hello,

Note:

Thank you for all of this great information. If I decided not to get an NX Eagle, I may buy a spank hex hub and get the xd/microspline driver body so the drivetrains will work.

Yes, it works too. Pay attention that during this upgrade your chain line will be changed so you might be required to upgrade your front crankset. do not invest too much but definitely invest in good wheels is the right direction. Here you might need some upgrade strategy.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 18:34 Quote
Ok yeah. I was already planning to convert to 1x. So you think that when I upgrade my hubs that it would be beneficial to upgrade my rims too. (I have wtb st i30 tcs rims by the way)

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 18:57 Quote
benbenbeast wrote:
Ok yeah. I was already planning to convert to 1x. So you think that when I upgrade my hubs that it would be beneficial to upgrade my rims too. (I have wtb st i30 tcs rims by the way)

I have exactly the same on my Salsa Timberjack as stock.

Well, it's not a simple question. In my world, I would consider good wheels from DT Swiss, Mavic, Spunk, RaceFace, Shimano, and Zipp. Wheel rebuild is custom work and might cost you some premium. Look at the entire project budget. It might worth buying a new wheelset instead of replacing the hub on old rims. This better to discusses with a mechanic at LBS who will do this work for you. I do believe it's not DIY because requires special tension tools, skills, and experience.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 19:23 Quote
krasinv wrote:
benbenbeast wrote:

Well, it's not a simple question. In my world, I would consider good wheels from DT Swiss, Mavic, Spunk, RaceFace, Shimano, and Zipp. Wheel rebuild is custom work and might cost you some premium. Look at the entire project budget. It might worth buying a new wheelset instead of replacing the hub on old rims. This better to discusses with a mechanic at LBS who will do this work for you. I do believe it's not DIY because requires special tension tools, skills, and experience.

Nice bike! I have a Vitus nucleus. Anyway, I will certainly look into some wheels. Maybe some Spank wheels cause they are a little cheaper. Do you think if I order a complete wheel set that I should still take it in to a bike shop to get trued and stuff.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 19:28 Quote
If you order a complete wheelset, it SHOULD be plug and play. I would trust the wheelbuilders than most small shops. Some do wheel work, but there is an art to it and the wheels should not need it right away.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
My bad. I don't. This is a mass market. There is no way to have well-tuned wheelsets out of a factory. I do believe it works for premium wheels for sure but honestly, I don't have the necessary equipment and skills so will use it as is ))))

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 19:38 Quote
benbenbeast wrote:
krasinv wrote:
benbenbeast wrote:

Nice bike! I have a Vitus nucleus. Anyway, I will certainly look into some wheels. Maybe some Spank wheels cause they are a little cheaper. Do you think if I order a complete wheel set that I should still take it in to a bike shop to get trued and stuff.

I'm born in Europe and honestly don't know this brand along as Salsa was new for me too here in US 8-))

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 20:14 Quote
@krasinv Alright, I will probably take them too a bike shop. That’s fine if you don’t know Vitus. I didn’t either. It is a brand out of the UK that sells bikes for a reasonable price, but only on crc.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 20:27 Quote
krasinv wrote:
My bad. I don't. This is a mass market. There is no way to have well-tuned wheelsets out of a factory. I do believe it works for premium wheels for sure but honestly, I don't have the necessary equipment and skills so will use it as is ))))

I gotcha. I wasn't really thinking about a mass produced set. What I was thinking about though, you could have a custom set built for you for similar money. Colorado Cyclist will build you up a nice set. I have had two sets from them and their prices are very reasonable. Strong built wheels too.

On that, my experience with the local shops here prompted my response. The few I have talked to either did not do it, or had limited experience. Or, I just got the feeling, or they implied they did not do enough to be good. Just use caution.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013068
Mobile Version of Website