Marin San Quentin 2 Sizing Question

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Marin San Quentin 2 Sizing Question
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 16, 2020 at 3:11 Quote
Hi All,

Just came back from the LBS with a Marin San Quentin 2 in Large. That was the only size they had left. The decision to buy was based on the scarcity of all the other bikes I had interest in. Basically all the other bikes that I had interest in are not available till some time in October due to current pandemic.


I was looking for a decent beginner hardtail with some good specs without having buyers remorse. The guy at the store said that because the San Quentin is very "slacked" out, the Large could work.


For context, I also saw that on the Marin website itself, it shows that the Medium is for people who are 5'5"-5'8" and Large is for people who are between 5'8"-5'10". I happen to be just right in between Medium and Large.


I am 5'8" with my shoes on, 5'7" without. While the riding the bike (size Large), it doesn't necessarily feel to big in terms of reach. However, when it comes to standing height, my crotch sits flush on the top tube, there is no room whatsoever. My inseam is about 28 inches, and the Large has a standover height of 714mm, which is about 28.5 inches.


Measurements are in this link under Geometry section-

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-san-quentin-2


Anyways, I love the bike. I think it exceeds my expectations in terms of specs and is probably more than enough bike for a novice like myself. But I am having a bit of second thoughts based on standing height and thinking about selling it and ordering the same one except a medium.

FWIW - I plan on riding rocky terrain in Arizona trails and I am pretty much a noob so I don't have any fancy tricks or have much experience in jumps. But I love the idea that I may very well pick up on a few things as my experience and time on the trails grow.

Is there anyone else out there that bought this bike with similar height and inseam measurements and sized up? I'm wondering if I should just sell this and order a medium.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
Sizing is a very personal/intended use kind of decision.
Here are some things to think about:
Reasons to "size up" (large frame size):
If you intend to go on longer XC/trail rides with lots of up and downs.
If you want something that feels efficient/comfortable on longer rides.
Reasons to "size down" (medium frame size):
If you plan on getting two wheels off the ground a lot (drops and jumps larger than five feet)
If intend on riding really steep and rowdy descents
If you want a bike that will feel more "playful"
Pumptracks and bike parks are your thing.

The stand over height difference of 37mm (~1.5") is pretty significant.
With a reach concern you can always play with different stem and handle bar combos, you can't do too much with stand over height.

For reference. I have been riding a 2013 Diamondback Mason for 6 years now, I am 5'10" and I am riding the 19"/large frame. I love it for everything. Marin's are great bikes, I have a Alpine Trail 8 and my wife has a Hawk Hill 3.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 19:29 Quote
Im currently looking at the marin sq2 in an xl. The sizing for the xl is 5'10" to 6' if im not mistaken and im 6'1". With the san quentins how do they fit? I do like riding harder and being able to throw it around a little easier.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 7:34 Quote
I’m 6’1 and I definitely liked the feel of a large the most.

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 3:36 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:
Sizing is a very personal/intended use kind of decision.
Here are some things to think about:
Reasons to "size up" (large frame size):
If you intend to go on longer XC/trail rides with lots of up and downs.
If you want something that feels efficient/comfortable on longer rides.
Reasons to "size down" (medium frame size):
If you plan on getting two wheels off the ground a lot (drops and jumps larger than five feet)
If intend on riding really steep and rowdy descents
If you want a bike that will feel more "playful"
Pumptracks and bike parks are your thing.

The stand over height difference of 37mm (~1.5") is pretty significant.
With a reach concern you can always play with different stem and handle bar combos, you can't do too much with stand over height.

For reference. I have been riding a 2013 Diamondback Mason for 6 years now, I am 5'10" and I am riding the 19"/large frame. I love it for everything. Marin's are great bikes, I have a Alpine Trail 8 and my wife has a Hawk Hill 3.

I hear ya. Was hoping to get best of both worlds. I have gone with a Large since it was all that was left. People must be mistaking bikes for toilet paper during these times.

The standover height was what concerned me, but the feel of the Large is nice for longer treks. However, I am hesitant when it comes to sharp corners and downhill stuff at times. Perhaps it's just me getting back into the swing of things from a long hiatus though. I guess I will keep riding it to see if I can get accustomed a bit more to it. I might keep it around and then sell it once 2021 models are released and try to test out a Medium to see the difference. Thanks for your input.

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
FrsknSld wrote:
I’m 6’1 and I definitely liked the feel of a large the most.

I bought a San Quentin 2 last year. I'm 6' and prefer the extra large, the large felt a little cramped up front for me and I had to size up.

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
LimpSquiggy wrote:
FrsknSld wrote:
I’m 6’1 and I definitely liked the feel of a large the most.

I bought a San Quentin 2 last year. I'm 6' and prefer the extra large, the large felt a little cramped up front for me and I had to size up.

Problem for me was my balls rest on the top tube of the large. XL would turn my outy to an inny. I don’t own either. Just work in a shop and was thinking of getting one. Got an Alcatraz instead haha

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 21:45 Quote
FrsknSld wrote:
LimpSquiggy wrote:
FrsknSld wrote:
I’m 6’1 and I definitely liked the feel of a large the most.

I bought a San Quentin 2 last year. I'm 6' and prefer the extra large, the large felt a little cramped up front for me and I had to size up.

Problem for me was my balls rest on the top tube of the large. XL would turn my outy to an inny. I don’t own either. Just work in a shop and was thinking of getting one. Got an Alcatraz instead haha


Since you work in a shop....are balls on the top tube a deal breaker? That's my issue currently. Muh balls are cramped when standing over the top tube.

Also, since you work in a shop, is there any truth to Marin bikes running a little small?

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 21:47 Quote
Braden134 wrote:
Im currently looking at the marin sq2 in an xl. The sizing for the xl is 5'10" to 6' if im not mistaken and im 6'1". With the san quentins how do they fit? I do like riding harder and being able to throw it around a little easier.

From my experience, I would say you could go with XL and add a dropper post and switch the stem to accommodate you if needed.

It's a great bike overall though.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 6:43 Quote
Really comes down to what you feel comfortable on. And run small compared to what? Other brand we carry is giant and all the marins feel big compared to them.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
FrsknSld wrote:
Really comes down to what you feel comfortable on. And run small compared to what? Other brand we carry is giant and all the marins feel big compared to them.

Think this is specifically the San Quentin, not all their others in their lineup.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 18:49 Quote
I am 5'10" and I think the large San Quentin fits me perfectly. You can try a shorter stem or shorter cranks to make it feel smaller if its becoming an issue. You should definitely upgrade the tires. 2.6 tires will be a big improvement

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 17:36 Quote
I'm 5'11" and have the large - it feels a bit big for me, but I'm also doing quite a bit of jumps and park riding. The trails feel great save for the forks, but sizing is just right. It's hard to speak for your style of riding, but being 5'11" and having the XL be recommended to me while still wanting the medium speaks to how weird the sizing is for this bike. I'm not sure how tall Matt Jones is, but he helped develop the bike and still rides a size below the recommendation (he should be a large and rides a medium).

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 6:05 Quote
San Quentin sizing is indeed a bit off compared to other bikes. I'm 6,0 and riding a Medium...the Marin site suggests a Large or even an XLarge for my size. But in the end it's all relative I guess....I did also look at an Commencal Meta hardtail for example...the Large Commencal has kind of the same reach as the Medium San Quentin...but the SQ stack is lower. Also my full suspension Trail bike is an Large with just a bit more reach then the Medium SQ...but this bike feels so much bigger/higher....

But to be honest I ride my SQ as an jumpbike and not so much as an trail bike...If the SQ was my only bike I would most likely go for an Large and use it as an all-round bike....for me it's just a really fun bike in a smaller size right now.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 6:15 Quote
When you measure your bike inseam, you will be able to determine the right bike frame size for you. It allows you to be more comfortable while pedaling, as having an ill-fitting bike frame puts strain on your leg muscles.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011050
Mobile Version of Website