Assistance with Chain Skipping on Cassette

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Assistance with Chain Skipping on Cassette
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 3:59 Quote
My chain is currently skipping on the rear cassette on the smallest cogs only under heavy load. I've confirmed in slow motion (960fps using My S9+ Galaxy) that the chain is not trying to skip up or down a gear, but rather is "slowly" riding up the tooth until it is able to skip a tooth and causes a significant jolt. I've checked the usual suspects, aligned the derailleur hanger with the Parktool DAG 2.2, adjusted the shift cable, replaced shifter cable housing, checked the derailleur, etc.

I've measured the chain wear, and it is only 0.25% worn (measured from the rollers with a set of verniers) on the current chain I am using. I lubricate the chain with wax (hot paraffin wax bath), and top it up with smoove between re-waxing. I have three chains which I rotate through to get maximum life out of my cassette. It was skipping on the last chain as well. I do ride in the rain occasionally and it's also frequently dusty where I live. I have used many other lubricants over the years and nothing has been anything close to the hot paraffin wax in terms of reducing wear.

I have a 1x11 spd system, narrow wide up front, 11-46T XT Cassette at the rear with a CN-HG701 chain. This is a common issue I have with my bike, the cassette is 6months old and I've done about 3000kms on it. I have taken the other "worn" cassettes that were also slipping to my LBS and they said there doesn't seem to be any significant wear on the cassettes to cause the skipping.

Upon close inspection of the cogs on the cassette, the very tips of the teeth have very slightly rounded and have small lips, however the overall profile of the tooth almost matches a new cog.

So I have a few questions,
1) Does anyone else have similar issues with Shimano 11spd? What chain wear percentage do you start to experience these issues?
2) Is 3000km good life for a cassette? Should I be expecting more?
3) Is there anything further I can check/inspect? Can something else be causing this issue?

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 20:30 Quote
Replace the cassette. This is classic new chain on old cassette. Im supriesed the bike shop didnt sell you one already.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 16:34 Quote
Yep sometimes the chain just doesn't mesh if things are too far gone.

I had the same issue with a 38 year old 6 speed freewheel, friend had the same on his 9 speed. We both went to new chains and that made the issue more noticeable.

New cassette for him & nos freewheel for me & we're both back to pedaling smooth.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 23:27 Quote
Thanks for the responses.

As it turns out, the derailleur just needed a service. There was a small amount of play in one of the pulleys so I replaced it and I pulled apart the clutch as it was a bit sticky. Still running the same cassette and three chains in rotation.

I've started to log the maintenance I've been doing on the bike and I've found since moving to an 11spd Shimano drive train, it's incredibly temperamental about even the slightest issue. It's the complete opposite of the 9spd systems I've run in the past that seem to run even with some pretty significant play in the drive train.

I have also been finding if the 11spd chains don't get lubed enough they start to skip. They seem to come good again after a decent lube. And the Shimano 11spd cassettes don't seem to accept other chains, I had some significant issues with several KMC chains skipping before moving back to Shimano chains.

I feel like Shimano 11spd MTB drive trains are very temperamental and high maintenance. I ride every day and it seems like every second weekend I have to tweak something. I can't even remember the last time I lubed the 9 speed system (also Shimano) on the road bike, the last time I did maintenance on the road bike was because the chain snapped after being on the bike for 5 years.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007631
Mobile Version of Website