DU Bushing Smushing OK?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
DU Bushing Smushing OK?
  • Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
Agreed. I use Burgtec plastic bushings on my Fox. So much easier to install and remove.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 14:44 Quote
commental wrote:
https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/definitive-guide-cane-creek-double-barrel-eyelets-hardware-927180.html

This thread may be of help. Notice what the OP says about certain shocks needing Norglide bushings, I believe they are split, similar to your original. I'm wondering if you have a 15mm bushing and a shock with a 14.7mm eyelet.

Thanks. Mine is an AD-12 shock. I called Cane Creek several times and they said I could buy the IGUS 15 mm bushing (from them), or get the “standard” DU bushing 15 mm at my local shop, or the internet. I haven’t seen a 15 mm Norglide bushing.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
Right, Igus! I was trying to think of the other bushing manufacturer I've used and was drawing a blank! Their products have worked well for me.

Actually, Igus bushings saved me from doing some serious work on an old DH bike: there was a slight misalignment in the link and it would wear the top bushing in a single run. This was fatal for a PTFE-coated steel bushing, but the Igus would just develop a tiny bit of play, then settle into this new profile and last for ages in this state. Never noticed the play while riding, just a small "clunk" when lifting the bike. Good example of the increased wear tolerance of plastic bushings.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Right, Igus! I was trying to think of the other bushing manufacturer I've used and was drawing a blank! Their products have worked well for me.

Actually, Igus bushings saved me from doing some serious work on an old DH bike: there was a slight misalignment in the link and it would wear the top bushing in a single run. This was fatal for a PTFE-coated steel bushing, but the Igus would just develop a tiny bit of play, then settle into this new profile and last for ages in this state. Never noticed the play while riding, just a small "clunk" when lifting the bike. Good example of the increased wear tolerance of plastic bushings.

Interesting. The main reason I am replacing my bushing is I have a little bit of play in the top of my shock. I wonder if it’s the same as your clunk. I ripped up on my bike I would feel about half a millimeter to 1 mm worth of play, At the top eyelet.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
Got my hands on a digital caliper. Measured the original and the new uninstalled bushing. There was about a 0.05 mm difference in measurements for the OD, ID, and OLA. Hopefully, I can get the uninstalled bushing installed with no smushing. Fingers crossed.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
File a chamfer and you should be good.

Clunking at the bushing is due to wear, which could be normal wear from movement or accelerated wear from poor alignment or side-loading of the shock as the frame flexes.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 19:23 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
File a chamfer and you should be good.

Clunking at the bushing is due to wear, which could be normal wear from movement or accelerated wear from poor alignment or side-loading of the shock as the frame flexes.

Should I make the chamfer more pronounced than it is already is? Both the shock and the bushing have some already.

So many possibilities for clunking. Lol.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 1:01 Quote
Yeah, file a little extra on the bushing. It failed the first time, so let's give it the best possible chance of working on the next try.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 8:50 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Yeah, file a little extra on the bushing. It failed the first time, so let's give it the best possible chance of working on the next try.

Cool. File on the inside, or outside?

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
Enhance the existing chamfer on it.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Enhance the existing chamfer on it.

Will do. Thanks!

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 20:21 Quote
Ive ssen eyelits deforming from teh wrong DU busings used. Cane creek may have given yo the wrong info. They used to use a smalled OD bushing.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.057649
Mobile Version of Website