Strava Changes and Trailforks' Sync

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Strava Changes and Trailforks' Sync
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 18, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
Today Strava announced cutting off several features from free users, and the removal of certain APIs from third-party apps. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/strava-cuts-off-leaderboard-for-free-users-reduces-3rd-party-apps-for-all-and-more.html

Any idea if this will affect Trailforks' Strava sync? The only reason I have an Strava account is automatic syncing to Trailforks from my GPS tracker. It would fine it that means manual imports, I won't miss Strava at all.

Mod Plus
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
The changes announced by Strava today should not effect Trailforks. Trailforks does not use Strava leaderboard or segment effort data. Trailforks only syncs your personal activities once' you've authorized Trailforks to do.

I have been working on a direct link from Garmin to Trailforks for those with a Garmin device. It's working, I'm just still testing it a bit before getting it reviewed by Garmin.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 22:41 Quote
canadaka wrote:
The changes announced by Strava today should not effect Trailforks. Trailforks does not use Strava leaderboard or segment effort data. Trailforks only syncs your personal activities once' you've authorized Trailforks to do.

I have been working on a direct link from Garmin to Trailforks for those with a Garmin device. It's working, I'm just still testing it a bit before getting it reviewed by Garmin.

Great news. I deleted my Strava account today based on the rollout of their changes. Would love to continue syncing my rides to TrailForks though!

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 1:44 Quote
canadaka wrote:

Thanks canadaka! Great news! I will test that Garmin link as well! I’ll probably ride tomorrow.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 1:45 Quote
Minikeum wrote:
canadaka wrote:

Thanks canadaka! Great news! I will test that Garmin link as well! I’ll probably ride tomorrow.

Same for me, thanks you very much Wink

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
It would be awesome if TrailForks offered up a "segement-type"leader board as well!

I'd love to get rid of Strava and just have one app.

Mod Plus
Posted: May 21, 2020 at 10:52 Quote
sangerasong wrote:
It would be awesome if TrailForks offered up a "segement-type"leader board as well!

I'd love to get rid of Strava and just have one app.

We have no plans to do "segments". You can see your timing on trails as they are mapped.
Our timing of the trails are auto-cropped in about 15meters from the start and end of the mapped trail. So if you're standing around the trail head, it shouldn't count towards the time for the trail.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
I agree, very disappointing. I posted a thread in the Strava Community Forum, under "Completed and Released" as follows. maybe they will change their mind.

Now charging for Overall Segment Leader boards?

Strava is no longer providing overall segment leader board with their free version.

This is a fun feature and should remain free because it is more interesting as more people use Strava.

With Strava charging for this feature, many users will say forget it and stop using the app (or never start using the app) and the data will not reflect as many users, making access to this data much less interesting.

I also do not think it is right to suddenly charge for information that was always provided for free as part of the app.

I will have a difficult time recommending Strava with this change.

I really hope STRAVA changes their mind on this one.

Funny thing though - I do not see the post, maybe they blocked it or maybe it will just take time to appear

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 10:51 Quote
So I did a ride today but Garmin Connect didn’t seem to send data to Trailforks.
Trailforks is in the app allowed to interact with Garmin Connect though (see picture).

What did I do wrong?

Devices:
ride recorded with Fenix 6 Pro
Web browsing and Trailforks app on iPadOS 13.5 or iOS 13.5

Garmin connect seems to share data with Trailforks

Mod Plus
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 22:22 Quote
Minikeum wrote:
So I did a ride today but Garmin Connect didn’t seem to send data to Trailforks.
Trailforks is in the app allowed to interact with Garmin Connect though (see picture).

What did I do wrong?

Devices:
ride recorded with Fenix 6 Pro
Web browsing and Trailforks app on iPadOS 13.5 or iOS 13.5

Garmin connect seems to share data with Trailforks

I may have jumped the gun posting the link to connect Garmin. We weren't approved for production until 2 days ago and I had to change our Garmin API keys after that. So I think the few users to connected their Garmin to Trailforks BEFORE that will have to disconnect and connect again.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 0:56 Quote
So I disconnected Trailforks from Garmin Connect by clicking the « disconnect » button in my Garmin Connect account info. But now I can’t seem to reconnect...
On the Trailforks side, it still says that Garmin is connected at Step 1, even when I toggle or untoggle the « enable » button at step 3.

I tried on my iPad, as well on my laptop using safari and Firefox, no luck. I believe that it’s at step 1 that I should completely disconnect and reconnect but I can’t interact with step 1!

What should I do?

Sorry I’m the worst with IT!

Mod Plus
Posted: May 25, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
That is odd, Trailforks should have got a signal from Garmin that you disconnected.

You can goto your settings page on the Trailforks website and find a disconnect link for Garmin there.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
My bad! I wasn’t looking in the right place to disconnect the account.

Thanks! Will give it a try tomorrow or the next day!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007359
Mobile Version of Website