Smuggler Update?

PB Forum :: Transition
Smuggler Update?
O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 4:19 Quote
I was gonna order the new Transition today. After looking at the numbers and specs though, I have decided to keep my 2019 Smuggler instead, since I can only have one bike and ride it in a variety of terrain. 135/150 would have been ideal for me, but oh well..I am sure this is an amazing bike for some folks.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 5:05 Quote
WatKyKJy wrote:
I was gonna order the new Transition today. After looking at the numbers and specs though, I have decided to keep my 2019 Smuggler instead, since I can only have one bike and ride it in a variety of terrain. 135/150 would have been ideal for me, but oh well..I am sure this is an amazing bike for some folks.

I thought the same thing but i think given the geometry and shock progression, i think im going to give it a go. Ordered a blackpowder one today! Im hoping it will be somewhere akin to a rowdy hardtail with enough suspension to get out of trouble. But for where i ride east coast, this should be more than enough. It's a full degree and a half slacker than my last 140 bike and about 6 lbs lighter.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
WatKyKJy wrote:

Are you me?

I love my Smuggler, and if I had the $$s to keep myself in two bikes, I’d get a Spur and Sentinel in my garage. As it is, with a single bike, my Smuggler with a DPX2 is the closest thing to a quiver-killer that Transition offered. And still is.

No doubt this is a great bike, just not the bike I was hoping for.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:08 Quote
Totally agree. I love my smuggler, setup with a cane creek inline coil and 150 fork. I am curious about building up a v2 sentinel with a 57.5 stroke shock and a 150 or 60 fork for my 1 bike quiver. At 5' 10" i think I would downsize to a medium. I think the large would be too long for the tight, janky riding I enjoy. Wondering if anybody else has thought about going this way??

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:13 Quote
I have one on order already and I will be the guy putting coils on it. COIL RULES!!

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
I have one on order already and I will be the guy putting coils on it. COIL RULES!!

will a coil fit? They seem to be pretty strict that they dont think any more travel up front is good and that any shock with a piggyback will have clearance issues. Im wondering if that rocker link is too narrow at the link.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
mikeandbike wrote:
garrisond5 wrote:

will a coil fit? They seem to be pretty strict that they dont think any more travel up front is good and that any shock with a piggyback will have clearance issues. Im wondering if that rocker link is too narrow at the link.

The shock is 190X45. Can creek makes a shock in that size without a reservoir. A 130 pike with the smashpot coil and I'm golden! All this being said I am actually probably going to cancel my pre-order for this frame. The Flex-stay is pretty much a deal breaker. It's a weak-ass way to save weight by sacrificing suspension performance. My search continues...

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:33 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
mikeandbike wrote:
garrisond5 wrote:

The shock is 190X45. Can creek makes a shock in that size without a reservoir. A 130 pike with the smashpot coil and I'm golden! All this being said I am actually probably going to cancel my pre-order for this frame. The Flex-stay is pretty much a deal breaker. It's a weak-ass way to save weight by sacrificing suspension performance. My search continues...

You are correct , it's same design that Giant uses on it's bottom end fs bike , the stance. I don't see where this bike is a upgrade over a smuggler ,it's not even in the same category of bikes. Maybe the new YT Izzo is a option.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 13:01 Quote
johnd2 wrote:
garrisond5 wrote:
mikeandbike wrote:

You are correct , it's same design that Giant uses on it's bottom end fs bike , the stance. I don't see where this bike is a upgrade over a smuggler ,it's not even in the same category of bikes. Maybe the new YT Izzo is a option.

I think the real sleeper is the Norco Revolver FS120. Not quite as slack, but at least the rear end won't act like a buckboard over every bump. I really can't express how much this Spur disappoints me. I was so ready for a light trail bike from Transition. This ain't it.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 17:30 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
johnd2 wrote:
garrisond5 wrote:

I think the real sleeper is the Norco Revolver FS120. Not quite as slack, but at least the rear end won't act like a buckboard over every bump. I really can't express how much this Spur disappoints me. I was so ready for a light trail bike from Transition. This ain't it.

I feel ya , I've been wanting a updated smuggler for a while also.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
When I get mine in Monday I'll let you know how it is.

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 8:57 Quote
mikeandbike wrote:
When I get mine in Monday I'll let you know how it is.

Thanks. I am still curious to hear!

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
First impressions: This thing is an absoute rocketship. Super plush handles descents really well. Weight is really good even on the GX build. Loving it a lot already. Unfortunately i can't quite get the seat where i want it with a 210mm dropper so ill need to probably downsize to a 180mm.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
You can shim the 210 post to 200 or 190. Super easy job. Maybe that will work.

mikeandbike wrote:
First impressions: This thing is an absoute rocketship. Super plush handles descents really well. Weight is really good even on the GX build. Loving it a lot already. Unfortunately i can't quite get the seat where i want it with a 210mm dropper(the post cant be fully inserted on the XL frame) so ill need to probably downsize to a 180mm.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
mikeandbike wrote:
First impressions: This thing is an absoute rocketship. Super plush handles descents really well. Weight is really good even on the GX build. Loving it a lot already. Unfortunately i can't quite get the seat where i want it with a 210mm dropper(the post cant be fully inserted on the XL frame) so ill need to probably downsize to a 180mm.

Glad you like it! Have you taken it on any rough terrain yet? I know it is 120 but I have heard some of these down-country bikes are quite capable.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016783
Mobile Version of Website