Smuggler Update?

PB Forum :: Transition
Smuggler Update?
O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
WatKyKJy wrote:
mikeandbike wrote:
First impressions: This thing is an absoute rocketship. Super plush handles descents really well. Weight is really good even on the GX build. Loving it a lot already. Unfortunately i can't quite get the seat where i want it with a 210mm dropper(the post cant be fully inserted on the XL frame) so ill need to probably downsize to a 180mm.

Glad you like it! Have you taken it on any rough terrain yet? I know it is 120 but I have heard some of these down-country bikes are quite capable.

Yeah i took it down some of my local trails, nothing super steep yet, i'll have to go to my local downhill area and see how it fairs. It feels super capable hopping off a 160mm bike this past weekend for comparison

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
JonRides wrote:
You can shim the 210 post to 200 or 190. Super easy job. Maybe that will work.

mikeandbike wrote:
First impressions: This thing is an absoute rocketship. Super plush handles descents really well. Weight is really good even on the GX build. Loving it a lot already. Unfortunately i can't quite get the seat where i want it with a 210mm dropper so ill need to probably downsize to a 180mm.

Yup, figured it out

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 14:15 Quote
So is the smuggler done?!

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 17:01 Quote
Scottwhatever802 wrote:
So is the smuggler done?!

Everything is pointing that direction. I think it would be too much overlap with the Sentinel and the Spur. there's not enough room between a 120 trail bike and the 150 big bike to put the smuggler back in, but I could be, and often am, wrong. Transition has said nothing and the guys in the know that told me about the Spur 6 months earlier have said they don't know of any plans for a Smuggler V3.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
Smuggler is toast. I'm considering the Norco Optic now.

Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 2:16 Quote
johnd2 wrote:

As much as I love Transition, the Optic seems to be the refinement of the aggressive side of the Smuggler. Very similar bike, but with more progressive suspension, tire clearance improved and overall a little more clean.

The Spur is just a refinement of the opposite to me.

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 7:13 Quote
marco222 wrote:
johnd2 wrote:

As much as I love Transition, the Optic seems to be the refinement of the aggressive side of the Smuggler. Very similar bike, but with more progressive suspension, tire clearance improved and overall a little more clean.

The Spur is just a refinement of the opposite to me.

I would honestly say go ride one, it didn't feel anything like I expected. Its super efficient but tackles trails like it has another 30mils of travel. It's pretty astonishingly fast.

Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
Haha, go test ride a Spur in Germany? If you are willing to cross the entire country, maybe.

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
fruitoftheloomis wrote:
Totally agree. I love my smuggler, setup with a cane creek inline coil and 150 fork. I am curious about building up a v2 sentinel with a 57.5 stroke shock and a 150 or 60 fork for my 1 bike quiver. At 5' 10" i think I would downsize to a medium. I think the large would be too long for the tight, janky riding I enjoy. Wondering if anybody else has thought about going this way??

I am in the same boat. i have built up my v2 smuggler with ccdb air and 150 helm, but now im thinking i should just put all my parts on a v1 sentinel. i love the smuggler but i want just a lil bit more from itt, and hating all the pedal strikes. im no xc mtn goat but i will climb to enjoy the downs.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
cmorse wrote:
fruitoftheloomis wrote:
Totally agree. I love my smuggler, setup with a cane creek inline coil and 150 fork. I am curious about building up a v2 sentinel with a 57.5 stroke shock and a 150 or 60 fork for my 1 bike quiver. At 5' 10" i think I would downsize to a medium. I think the large would be too long for the tight, janky riding I enjoy. Wondering if anybody else has thought about going this way??

I am in the same boat. i have built up my v2 smuggler with ccdb air and 150 helm, but now im thinking i should just put all my parts on a v1 sentinel. i love the smuggler but i want just a lil bit more from itt, and hating all the pedal strikes. im no xc mtn goat but i will climb to enjoy the downs.

Do it. I have been on my V1 Sentinel for 5 months now coming from the V2 Smuggler. It takes a couple rides to recognize how far out that front wheel is, but there are NO other downsides. It pedals the same and weighs within a half pound of what the smuggler was when built up with the same parts. I have since switched to coils on both ends of the Sentinel and they are such a magnitude better that I will live with the weight gain. The traction and control is beyond "next level". It's an entirely different game with coils. I live and do most of my riding in Bend Oregon which is very flat. The Sentinel is a touch overboard for these kinds of trails but it's so comfortable I just deal with it. I have a hardtail if I need to hammer some XC loops, but that rarely happens. The Sentinel is legit. Go get you one!

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 14:24 Quote
johnd2 wrote:

It's still a pig for a short travel frame. Doesn't pencil in my book.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
cmorse wrote:
fruitoftheloomis wrote:

Do it. I have been on my V1 Sentinel for 5 months now coming from the V2 Smuggler. It takes a couple rides to recognize how far out that front wheel is, but there are NO other downsides. It pedals the same and weighs within a half pound of what the smuggler was when built up with the same parts. I have since switched to coils on both ends of the Sentinel and they are such a magnitude better that I will live with the weight gain. The traction and control is beyond "next level". It's an entirely different game with coils. I live and do most of my riding in Bend Oregon which is very flat. The Sentinel is a touch overboard for these kinds of trails but it's so comfortable I just deal with it. I have a hardtail if I need to hammer some XC loops, but that rarely happens. The Sentinel is legit. Go get you one!

thanks for the advice. if i do it, id be going from aluminum to carbon so i may save even more weight. i would be contemplating keeping the smuggler as an xc type ride day bike but i think it may not get ridden if i get a sentinel.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
So, if you had the opertunity to get a Carbon GX build for 3100 or try and prodeal a new SPUR. which would you want?

I have my alloy sentinel set up like a monster truck with DH case tires, a push coil up-sized for 150mm, the cascade link and a 38.

I have always ran a heavy downhill style bike for trails that are wheel eaters.

i would like a snappy, but still capable trail bike to set up a little lighter.

so SPUR or Smuggler?

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 13:33 Quote
Sounds like you have the enduro / shuttle bike covered. I would go for a spur if I was in your shoes. I simply bought two wheelsets for my Sentinel. Heavy duty alloy for the bike park and a fairly light set of WAO carbon for pedally days. I am still looking for my second bike to fully turn the Sentinel into a full time park bike.

spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
So, if you had the opertunity to get a Carbon GX build for 3100 or try and prodeal a new SPUR. which would you want?

I have my alloy sentinel set up like a monster truck with DH case tires, a push coil up-sized for 150mm, the cascade link and a 38.

I have always ran a heavy downhill style bike for trails that are wheel eaters.

i would like a snappy, but still capable trail bike to set up a little lighter.

so SPUR or Smuggler?

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
I also have a set of We are ones on my sentinel.

The union is an excellent wheelset.

I dont care for designs that use the seat stay flex as a defacto pivot.

We will see what prices are for each.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017040
Mobile Version of Website