close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Smuggler Update?

PB Forum :: Transition
Smuggler Update?
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 18:15 Quote
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
So, if you had the opertunity to get a Carbon GX build for 3100 or try and prodeal a new SPUR. which would you want?

I have my alloy sentinel set up like a monster truck with DH case tires, a push coil up-sized for 150mm, the cascade link and a 38.

I have always ran a heavy downhill style bike for trails that are wheel eaters.

i would like a snappy, but still capable trail bike to set up a little lighter.

so SPUR or Smuggler?

I also vote for giving the Spur a shot. I've been riding a 2019 Smuggler, recently got the new Sentinel. I don't think there is enough difference to justify both. For now, I'm going with the Sentinel (with two wheelsets) and a hardtail.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 22:11 Quote
I hate flex stay designs. Cop out in my opinion.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 22:13 Quote
AarontCO wrote:
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
So, if you had the opertunity to get a Carbon GX build for 3100 or try and prodeal a new SPUR. which would you want?

I have my alloy sentinel set up like a monster truck with DH case tires, a push coil up-sized for 150mm, the cascade link and a 38.

I have always ran a heavy downhill style bike for trails that are wheel eaters.

i would like a snappy, but still capable trail bike to set up a little lighter

so SPUR or Smuggler?

I also vote for giving the Spur a shot. I've been riding a 2019 Smuggler, recently got the new Sentinel. I don't think there is enough difference to justify both. For now, I'm going with the Sentinel (with two wheelsets) and a hardtail.

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 21:06 Quote
Never saw a press release and got lucky that I checked so I'll just set this right here for everyone else...

https://cascadecomponents.bike/collections/transition-linkages/products/smuggler-link

Just bought mine, can't wait to give it a rip!

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 9:06 Quote
I have been running my large aluminum smuggler with a 210x52.5 cane creek DBIL coil and progressive spring for 3 seasons. I absolutely love it. I put the cascade linkage on about 3 weeks ago. It does everything that they claim. Without the link I never felt any big bottom outs, but the new link just makes it deeper. It sits higher in the travel. Pedals a bit more efficiently. I live in the Adirondacks and have friends and family in Northern Vermont, and tend to enjoy the New England jank, it excels up and down that type of terrain.

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
I've got an xl carbon smuggler so I wasn't able to run a longer stroke shock. I did put a dpx2 on about a year ago in place of the stock dps. Got a quick ride in this past weekend with the new link and it feels amazing. Soft off top and didn't even use all the travel. Highly recommend for anyone who was just a little more out of their bike.

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
agbiker wrote:
Never saw a press release and got lucky that I checked so I'll just set this right here for everyone else...

https://cascadecomponents.bike/collections/transition-linkages/products/smuggler-link

Just bought mine, can't wait to give it a rip!

Damn! If I still had my Smuggler I would order this in a heart beat!

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 7:53 Quote
Has anyone gone from a smuggler to a V2 sentinel? If so, did you keep the same size frame? How do they compare? Where do you live/ride?

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
I went from a 2019 Smuggler to a 2019 Sentinel and then to a 2021 Sentinel. I felt there wasn't enough distinction between the Smuggler and The Sentinel since they basically weigh the same as far as frames go. I have stuck with an XL on all three bikes and I would not change that. The XL fits me great at 6'3". I live in Bend Oregon and ride it on everything from the sidewalk smooth trails of lower Phils to the chunkiest stuff at Mt. Bachelor. It does it all well, but really loves the faster steeper stuff. I also have a very light short travel bike for the boring flat trails. I think there is a bigger difference between the Smuggler and the V2 sentinel than the V1. It is noticeably slacker and feels a little floppy at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly. If it is your only bike you won't be disappointed unless you live somewhere very flat.

fruitoftheloomis wrote:
Has anyone gone from a smuggler to a V2 sentinel? If so, did you keep the same size frame? How do they compare? Where do you live/ride?

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
Thanks for the input. It would be my only full suspension, but I have a honzo as well. My biggest question is sizing. At a tall 5'10" I sit right between a medium and large. The larges wheelbase concerns me here in the northeast, but on the flipside I'm not sure about downsizing to the meciums reach

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 11:10 Quote
fruitoftheloomis wrote:
Thanks for the input. It would be my only full suspension, but I have a honzo as well. My biggest question is sizing. At a tall 5'10" I sit right between a medium and large. The larges wheelbase concerns me here in the northeast, but on the flipside I'm not sure about downsizing to the meciums reach

I went from a medium Carbon Smuggler to a large V2 Sentinel this spring. I'm a fairly average proportioned 5'-10" and was worried about upsizing as well. I'm from Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada and ride a good mix of everything. The large Sentinel is better at almost everything when pointed downhill and pretty much equal on long open climbs. I do find it loses out to the medium Smuggler on tighter switchback trails due to the longer wheel base and slacker headtube, but the stability everywhere else more than makes up for it for me.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
Definitely go for the large. I think you will feel very cramped on a medium. The top tubes are shorter with the SBG due to slack head angle and steep seat angle. The V2 XL is a bit shorter than the V1 and I would not want it any shorter.

fruitoftheloomis wrote:

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 4:07 Quote
If Transition aren’t going to update and bring out another Smuggler then update an old one. My ‘16 after the raw treatment and some new decals…..

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011424
Mobile Version of Website