Making sure I will not die riding this old rig.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Making sure I will not die riding this old rig.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 21, 2020 at 11:14 Quote
Hey guys, very long time lurker...hope you are all safe and good.

I am currently riding a 2006 Kona Cowan that sports some parts from my old 2001 Kona Stuff, most notably its original 2001 Marzzochi Z5. Everything feels good, and looks pristine upon close inspection frame and fork wise. As we all do, I often get the urge to change bike, but this beater really does it all for me, except for one thing. I am scared it will break in some dumb way and hurt me; hurt me in a way a brand new Big Honzo or Commencal Meta HT won't, like a broken frame or a broken fork.

I would qualify my riding of very mild, urban little jumps and curbs, easy trails.

Objectively, could you guys sway me on keeping it or getting something BNIB ? I feel irresponsible dropping 2-3k on a brand new bike when this one is all I really need.

I stress the day I will need a new wheels set...but maybe I won't for a while, so this is just a dumb reason to switch bikes.

Thank you and cheers to you all,

Patrick

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
Sounds to me like a perfect reason to get a new bike, which is never a bad thing. Not to mention the geometry of a new rig will usually be more stable (i.e. safer) than that of your older rig.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
If its's in good condition I would ride it no prob.

A new(ish} fork would be good though, modern designs work so much better nowaday

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
I mean, every time we ride we risk death, so might as well get a new bike on which to die. It's the equivalent of wearing clean underwear in case you're in an accident...

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 3:38 Quote
I don't see a problem. I had that banger of a fork on an old (the oldest!) nukeproof hardtail, a P.3, and a few others. Those ol' girls can take a sh!tkickin.....but, if it seems weird, get it rebuilt. Seals are cheap.

It's remarkably-scarce that someone detonates a fork into spacebound shrapnel. If you feel like jumping off the edge of the world, the intersection of headset-headtube-othertubes is usually where the problem lies...but the fork coming apart? It's pretty low-travel, not a lot of parts, air-sprung........not much for bits 'n peices. Aside from that, I can't say much else. Even if it came apart in spectacular & glorious fashion, your person would probably just have a great story about falling off a bike.....

And I hope you tell us if it does... Razz

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
Thank you all.

Ordered a Commencal Meta AM HT for the gnarly stuff. Will keep the piece of history for BMX-ing my way around the block.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 21:45 Quote
I would like to congratulate you on your frugality, practicality, and downright responsibility about keeping an older bike alive versus buying a new bicycle. Lots of Brownie points to you, Sir. Nice to know that their are others who try to keep using things in spite of the shiny newness all around us.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005294
Mobile Version of Website