Puncture repair on hydration bladder

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Puncture repair on hydration bladder
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 21, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
I took a tumble and subsequently punctured my hydration bladder on both sides. It's a new pack and I've bodged it with gaffer tape but I'd like a permanent solution.

Has anyone successfully patched something similar?
You can see that the construction is full of bonded pieces so there must be something I can purchase for this exact job?

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
Maverick-dm wrote:
I took a tumble and subsequently punctured my hydration bladder on both sides. It's a new pack and I've bodged it with gaffer tape but I'd like a permanent solution.

You can see that the construction is full of bonded pieces so there must be something I can purchase for this exact job?

Back in the old days we had tubes in our tires and sometimes they got stuck with thorns and went flat. We had to buy these little thingies called patch kits, which consisted of a little square of sand paper, some glue and a rubber circle that we stuck over the hole and held there until it dried. For the most part these worked pretty well as long as you didn't use too much glue and waited long enough for it to dry.

All kidding aside, I have never punctured a bladder, but if I did, I would see if I couldn't find a patch kit in the bottom of my tool box and give it a whirl.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 9:10 Quote
You can use a patch kit for inflatable beds

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 22:57 Quote
Maverick-dm wrote:

theres more puncture repairs on my bladder than bladder itself now.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 8:31 Quote
the-one1 wrote:
You can use a patch kit for inflatable beds

Pretty sure you don’t want to be drinking out of something with a toxic glue holding it together. If the pack is newer, contact the company and see if they will replace it.
Camelbak offers lifetime replacement on most their bladders

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
Regarding warranty- The bladder got punctured front and back from my pump so I can't imagine any warranty covering that scenario unfortunately.

Inner tubes are butyl rubber and as far I'm aware the bladder almost certainly isn't; therefore a suitable patch corresponding to whatever material the bladder is manufactured from will most likely prove permanent.

I can easily bodge it, but was hoping for a kit designed for this specific material.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 21:04 Quote
Maverick-dm wrote:
Regarding warranty- The bladder got punctured front and back from my pump so I can't imagine any warranty covering that scenario unfortunately.

Inner tubes are butyl rubber and as far I'm aware the bladder almost certainly isn't; therefore a suitable patch corresponding to whatever material the bladder is manufactured from will most likely prove permanent.

I can easily bodge it, but was hoping for a kit designed for this specific material.
just get the patches whacked on,don't over think it.Or if they're just pin prick holes.A little spot of super glue will do aswell.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 2:38 Quote
Have a quick Google of Stormsure.
How big are the punctures?
Might be a good solution if smaller, as it's also flexible and can patch up the holes without a patch.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 11:23 Quote
foeism wrote:
Have a quick Google of Stormsure.
How big are the punctures?
Might be a good solution if smaller, as it's also flexible and can patch up the holes without a patch.

Just a puncture hole front and back from my pump I suspect.
I'll have a look at that, thanks fella!

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 14:20 Quote
E6000 craft adhesive maybe?

I've used it to fix my 5.10 soles and close up a hole in my socks with impressive success. It stays flexible and has stayed in place after washing.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 19:27 Quote
Google "food grade silicone sealant". Put a big dab of that on the hole, and put either alumin(i)um foil or food-grade plastic wrap on both inside and outside of the hole.

If possible, apply pressure with a clamp so that there is a bit of exposure to air on both the inside or outside. This will allow it to cure faster. Otherwise, just place a weight on the patch area and give it 48 hours or so to cure.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005239
Mobile Version of Website