Tallboy 4 Aluminum R vs. Ripmo AF NX

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tallboy 4 Aluminum R vs. Ripmo AF NX
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 9:26 Quote
Howdy,

Been consuming a lot of beta on both of these bikes, and read a few discussions on each bike in the forum. I'm currently weighing each model against the cost because that $3000 mark seems to be the best bang for my buck on an aluminum frame, which is why I'm not comparing the Tallboy to the Ripley Wink . Generally speaking, I am worried that I'd be paying more money for less bike if I go with the Tallboy (even with the lifetime warranty). The Ripmo AF NX is $400 cheaper than the Tallboy 4 Aluminum R, and the Ripmo AF looks to have a better spec... While that seems obvious in terms of the suspension, I've also got a more specific question.

I ride 70% smooth flowy xc trail and 30% featured flow trail on an old Scott Spark Comp from 2012. I am not a talent, but I have become more aggressive, more in control of my descents, want to ride more flow trail, and lost confidence in my current ride (especially the fork Blank Stare ). Upgrade time is looming.

Each bike would get me pushing my skills descending flow trail and beyond, with the Ripmo AF looking more capable than the Tallboy. While I am interested to hear more about how each bike compares in the progressiveness and playfulness of the rear travel, the real distinction I haven't been able to figure out based on reviews is which of these bikes will be a better climber/pedaler on the smooth flowy xc trail, a terrain I don't want to leave behind. Between the Tallboy 4 and the new Ripley, it's probably the Ripley, but I haven't found much of a comparison between the Tallboy and the Ripmo AF. Considering the kinematics, travel, and weight etc., which bike will perform better pedaling, climbing, & popping around on flowy xc trail?

If anyone has ridden both of these bikes and has any input for me in terms of the tradeoffs you see between these two options, in lieu of the price, it is much appreciated.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 13:30 Quote
I'm gonna do that thing that is highly annoying, which is respond but not to your question directly. I of course rode the Hightower LT and the Ripmo, and bought the Ripmo. I enjoyed the recent PB podcast on being overbiked or underbiked, and I sympathize more with Kazimer in that I bought the bike that I'll have the most fun on 10% of the time. The Ripmo AF would be no slouch at all for the other 90%, and that's what I'd do in your situation, especially since the "10% of the time" for you sounds like it is 30%.

O+ FL
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 8:04 Quote
"I ride 70% smooth flowy xc trail and 30% featured flow trail "

The Ripmo sounds like complete overkill. The Tallboy might work well. What about a Trance 29? Even in aluminum it's reasonably light and they're specced pretty well.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
I think we all can get too caught up in research and specs, when in fact just about anything you choose is going to be fun. I am over biked for a lot of what I ride, but it is a hoot. Buy the one that makes you want to ride.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 13:16 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:

The Ripmo sounds like complete overkill. The Tallboy might work well. What about a Trance 29? Even in aluminum it's reasonably light and they're specced pretty well.

For sure, I should consider the Trance 29 2. Thanks for reminding me of that bike.

The Ripmo is, of course, overkill on an XC trail, but the thing I want to consider is how much of a compromise it actually makes on XC trail relative to the other options. If the Ripmo AF can still pedal well, not make XC trail feel too dull, and I'm going to be spending ~$3000 anyway, should't I get the bike that allows me to also access more aggressive trail?

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I think we all can get too caught up in research and specs, when in fact just about anything you choose is going to be fun. I am over biked for a lot of what I ride, but it is a hoot. Buy the one that makes you want to ride.

Hell yes. But here I am. Between the Tallboy and the Rimo AF it's a toss up.

O+ FL
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
weswebb wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:

For sure, I should consider the Trance 29 2. Thanks for reminding me of that bike.

The Ripmo is, of course, overkill on an XC trail, but the thing I want to consider is how much of a compromise it actually makes on XC trail relative to the other options. If the Ripmo AF can still pedal well, not make XC trail feel too dull, and I'm going to be spending ~$3000 anyway, should't I get the bike that allows me to also access more aggressive trail?

What trail do you think you can't ride on a Tallboy or Trance 29? Personally, I think overbiking is nearly all downsides.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
weswebb wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Hell yes. But here I am. Between the Tallboy and the Rimo AF it's a toss up.

haha. I am color keen, so for me, I need to like the color. But, for reference between the 2 bikes, I am biased for my reasons and would choose the TB. LOL

I would like to get a new bike, but I don't like the color spectrum available at the moment for SC. Waiting to see what 21 models look like. i got a deal on my current bike, not a fan of the color, but the ride makes up for it. haha

IOW, buy the one you like the looks of the best.? Beer

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
Where do you ride, Wes? And how xc is your xc and what does a flow trail w/ features look like to you?

I've got some flow trails with features. Some are big and a good match for my RAF. Some are small and better for a 120 bike.

Also consider that the RAF is in high demand and you could potentially miss a summer of riding waiting for one. Have you checked availability from your local shop?

Santa Cruz aluminum frames are not light by any means (these days), but the RAF NX is a straight up beast in terms of the weight. Add to the cost of that one a faster rolling rear tire. It's still efficient and not an issue for some, but certainly that Tallboy is gonna weigh a couple pounds less and that's going to be noticeable. Both great options though. If you choose the RAF I'd go with the Topaz.

Dunno man, I'm tempted to say Tallboy with a 140mm air shaft but if you're really progressing you could find yourself outriding the travel.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 14:12 Quote
I'd also recommend the Jeffsy 29 for $3k as it's lighter than both with a great spec and climbs/descends very well. If you're ok with consumer direct.

But then you're gonna miss a summer of sweet riding waiting for that one too.

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
Where do you ride, Wes? And how xc is your xc and what does a flow trail w/ features look like to you?

I've got some flow trails with features. Some are big and a good match for my RAF. Some are small and better for a 120 bike.

Also consider that the RAF is in high demand and you could potentially miss a summer of riding waiting for one. Have you checked availability from your local shop?

Santa Cruz aluminum frames are not light by any means (these days), but the RAF NX is a straight up beast in terms of the weight. Add to the cost of that one a faster rolling rear tire. It's still efficient and not an issue for some, but certainly that Tallboy is gonna weigh a couple pounds less and that's going to be noticeable. Both great options though. If you choose the RAF I'd go with the Topaz.

Dunno man, I'm tempted to say Tallboy with a 140mm air shaft but if you're really progressing you could find yourself outriding the travel.

Whitefish, MT
Thinking the RipmoAF would let me ride the bike park up here a bit and still be fun on the mellow trails around town, as well as the earn your turn flow trails. I’m sure the Tallboy could handle the tougher stuff decently, the crux is just cost::versatility. I definitely need the best bang for my buck, and would like a bike that can handle everything for at least 5 years.

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 8:49 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
I'd also recommend the Jeffsy 29 for $3k as it's lighter than both with a great spec and climbs/descends very well. If you're ok with consumer direct.

Woah, you aren’t kidding about the Jeffsy! Maybe I’ve got 4 ~$3k bikes to think about now instead of 2:

Ripmo AF
Jeffsy Comp
Tallboy AL R
Giant Trance 2

Which one has the least compromises in terms of versatility?

O+
Posted: May 28, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
weswebb wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:

Woah, you aren’t kidding about the Jeffsy! Maybe I’ve got 4 ~$3k bikes to think about now instead of 2:

Ripmo AF
Jeffsy Comp
Tallboy AL R
Giant Trance 2

I’ve ridden the RAF and J29.

As specced out of the box I think the Jeffsy is gonna climb better (lighter frame and tires, steeper sta) and the RAF will descend better. They can both handle it all tho.

I’m kind of becoming a geo snob so would take the Tallboy over the Giant plus I trust their design and frames more. That’s just me though. I’ve ridden the new Hightower but not the Tallboy.

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
I watched a vid on youtube a few years ago, yumyum, I think. Watching him bomb downhill on a prev gen TB and it proved to me that I would never over ride it. I bought one. I wished I still had it, but I have having great fun on my HTLT. Not so young anymore and having a little extra cush helps the confidence...and the back.

The new TB is one I need to throw a leg over. I think it would be a good compromise. Warranty and bearings for life is something I just find hard to leave, course I have been on them since 2001.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2020 at 10:21 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
weswebb wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:

Ripmo AF
Jeffsy Comp
Tallboy AL R
Giant Trance 2

I’ve ridden the RAF and J29.

As specced out of the box I think the Jeffsy is gonna climb better (lighter frame and tires, steeper sta) and the RAF will descend better. They can both handle it all tho.

I’m kind of becoming a geo snob so would take the Tallboy over the Giant plus I trust their design and frames more. That’s just me though. I’ve ridden the new Hightower but not the Tallboy.

I do think the Jeffsy is the most versatile of these 4 out of the box. But it's splitting hairs. And it also goes back to 'do you want a new bike this summer'. If you're not willing to wait then +1 for the Tallboy with a 140mm air shaft. Or wait until fall for a Jeffsy/Ripmo. I'd write off the Giant. Just one random dude's opinion.

I'm on the AF and don't regret it but am carefully planning my weight reducing upgrades to get her to or under the 33lb mark. I'm around 34lbs (XL) with air front/rear, slx, carbon wheels, and 1000+ gram tires currently.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011808
Mobile Version of Website