Tallboy 4 Aluminum R vs. Ripmo AF NX

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tallboy 4 Aluminum R vs. Ripmo AF NX
| Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2020 at 11:42 Quote
You are within a day drive of a lot of cool (and some sorta gnarly) places to ride, I haven't been to whitefish- but I've been to schweitzer and silver mountain in idaho which are only 3 hours away from you. I know you described your normal trails, but I've got to think you are close to some bigger trails since you are nestled right there in the mountains.

Since you asked....I think I'd go with the Ripmo AF and then I'd try my best to get out and explore. Maybe get a second set of lighter tires and a presta chuck for a cheap compressor to make the home trails a little less of a struggle.

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
Your question : I'm looking for a gravity oriented XC bike. What should I get?

To quote Santa Cruz "If ever there was a gravity riders’ XC bike, the Tallboy is it."

You guys were made to be together,

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
ICKYBOD wrote:
You are within a day drive of a lot of cool (and some sorta gnarly) places to ride, I haven't been to whitefish- but I've been to schweitzer and silver mountain in idaho which are only 3 hours away from you. I know you described your normal trails, but I've got to think you are close to some bigger trails since you are nestled right there in the mountains.

Since you asked....I think I'd go with the Ripmo AF and then I'd try my best to get out and explore. Maybe get a second set of lighter tires and a presta chuck for a cheap compressor to make the home trails a little less of a struggle.

Thats a gooooood point

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 16:53 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
Your question : I'm looking for a gravity oriented XC bike. What should I get?

To quote Santa Cruz "If ever there was a gravity riders’ XC bike, the Tallboy is it."

You guys were made to be together,

Fab Beer

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
I'm not sure why you're comparing a Ripmo to a Tallboy in the first place...The Comparable Ibis bike to the Tall boy would be the Ripley - not the Ripmo, and the comparable SC bike to the Ripmo would be maybe a Hightower - not the Tallboy.

weswebb wrote:
Howdy,

Been consuming a lot of beta on both of these bikes, and read a few discussions on each bike in the forum. I'm currently weighing each model against the cost because that $3000 mark seems to be the best bang for my buck on an aluminum frame, which is why I'm not comparing the Tallboy to the Ripley Wink . Generally speaking, I am worried that I'd be paying more money for less bike if I go with the Tallboy (even with the lifetime warranty). The Ripmo AF NX is $400 cheaper than the Tallboy 4 Aluminum R, and the Ripmo AF looks to have a better spec... While that seems obvious in terms of the suspension, I've also got a more specific question.

I ride 70% smooth flowy xc trail and 30% featured flow trail on an old Scott Spark Comp from 2012. I am not a talent, but I have become more aggressive, more in control of my descents, want to ride more flow trail, and lost confidence in my current ride (especially the fork Blank Stare ). Upgrade time is looming.

Each bike would get me pushing my skills descending flow trail and beyond, with the Ripmo AF looking more capable than the Tallboy. While I am interested to hear more about how each bike compares in the progressiveness and playfulness of the rear travel, the real distinction I haven't been able to figure out based on reviews is which of these bikes will be a better climber/pedaler on the smooth flowy xc trail, a terrain I don't want to leave behind. Between the Tallboy 4 and the new Ripley, it's probably the Ripley, but I haven't found much of a comparison between the Tallboy and the Ripmo AF. Considering the kinematics, travel, and weight etc., which bike will perform better pedaling, climbing, & popping around on flowy xc trail?

If anyone has ridden both of these bikes and has any input for me in terms of the tradeoffs you see between these two options, in lieu of the price, it is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 20:07 Quote
MurShane wrote:
I'm not sure why you're comparing a Ripmo to a Tallboy in the first place...The Comparable Ibis bike to the Tall boy would be the Ripley - not the Ripmo, and the comparable SC bike to the Ripmo would be maybe a Hightower - not the Tallboy.

weswebb wrote:
Howdy,

Been consuming a lot of beta on both of these bikes, and read a few discussions on each bike in the forum. I'm currently weighing each model against the cost because that $3000 mark seems to be the best bang for my buck on an aluminum frame, which is why I'm not comparing the Tallboy to the Ripley Wink . Generally speaking, I am worried that I'd be paying more money for less bike if I go with the Tallboy (even with the lifetime warranty). The Ripmo AF NX is $400 cheaper than the Tallboy 4 Aluminum R, and the Ripmo AF looks to have a better spec... While that seems obvious in terms of the suspension, I've also got a more specific question.

I ride 70% smooth flowy xc trail and 30% featured flow trail on an old Scott Spark Comp from 2012. I am not a talent, but I have become more aggressive, more in control of my descents, want to ride more flow trail, and lost confidence in my current ride (especially the fork Blank Stare ). Upgrade time is looming.

Each bike would get me pushing my skills descending flow trail and beyond, with the Ripmo AF looking more capable than the Tallboy. While I am interested to hear more about how each bike compares in the progressiveness and playfulness of the rear travel, the real distinction I haven't been able to figure out based on reviews is which of these bikes will be a better climber/pedaler on the smooth flowy xc trail, a terrain I don't want to leave behind. Between the Tallboy 4 and the new Ripley, it's probably the Ripley, but I haven't found much of a comparison between the Tallboy and the Ripmo AF. Considering the kinematics, travel, and weight etc., which bike will perform better pedaling, climbing, & popping around on flowy xc trail?

If anyone has ridden both of these bikes and has any input for me in terms of the tradeoffs you see between these two options, in lieu of the price, it is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Those are obvious comparisons for sure, but until the Ripley comes in an AF, the price of the Ripmo AF alone makes it a contender for me. That being said, if it were between a Ripley AF and the Tallboy 4 I’d probably go with the Tallboy for the downhill performance, but if the Ripley AF was significantly more affordable it might win me over. So, the comparison between the Ripmo AF and Tallboy 4 is left to the compromise between pedaling/climbing characteristics and whether or not I want to start riding rowdier trails more frequently... the responses here are helping a ton though, even in being able to write out the factors in more clarity.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 20:50 Quote
The v1 Ripmo was a great xc bike when setup a little too firm. Now that I've figured out how to set it up better, it's a better xc bike. I ride in NW Arkansas. I just did a 25 mile ride on the new little sugar trail system. It had 2500 ft of vertical and it was great. I feel like the Ripmo can handle anything, big or small.

My buddy had the prior tallboy and cracked the frame. He ended up with a hightower and loves it.

Either way, you should take a class on how to improve your technique and ride better. I did and that was one of the best upgrades on a smile/$ basis.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005721
Mobile Version of Website