Most Durable PF92/BB92 Bottom Brackets (BB)

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Most Durable PF92/BB92 Bottom Brackets (BB)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2020 at 9:49 Quote
Looks like one of my bottom bracket bearings is pretty gritty so I’m looking to replace the BB. PF92/BB92 with a 24mm spindle. Wondering what the longest lasting options are. Based on some googling it looks like either Shimano or wheels manufacturing threaded? Don’t need ultimate performance, just durability.

Also wondering if anyone makes a PF92 BB where I can replace the just bearings instead the bearings and cups (i.e. I could source some decent bearing and press them into the cups rather than tossing the whole thing). With polymer cups I doubt Shimano is an option. Has anyone tried this with the wheels manufacturing BBs? Or event BBinfinite? If the shell lasts forever and I can just press in new bearing than maybe it’s worth shelling out for.

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
The Wheels Manufacturing thread-together bottom brackets are definitely my favorite for Press-Fit applications. Be sure to get the Angular Contact bearings, as they are much more durable than the ABEC varieties.

These come with Enduro Bearings, which very high quality and are available separately for replacement. Enduro Angular Contact bearings are going to be the longest-lasting solution you'll find. Full ceramic cartridges (not "hybrid") can last longer in dry environments, but it's moisture that kills most bottom brackets.

You can replace the cartridge bearings in the Wheels BBs without needing a new shell. It's important to use a good bearing press and extractor though, and not try to get by with a hammer/punch/etc.

The right tools can be expensive though, and if you're getting good quality bearings, you shouldn't be using them very often. So, you might want to see how much a local shop will charge to you swap the bearings, and compare that to the cost of buying the tools.

If you ride a lot in wet and mud and/or use a hose or power-washer on your bike, you can expect to replace the bottom bracket bearings every year or so. You can get more life out of the bearings by cleaning them and re-greasing them. If you remove your cranks, you'll be able to move each bearing with your finger and see when they are starting to feel a little rough or dry.

You want to very carefully remove the bearing seals, clean out all of the old grease, and pack the whole assembly with fresh grease.

It's much easier to do this with the bearings out of the BB cup/shell assembly. Again, you want to be very careful taking the bearings out and pressing them back in. The Wheels threaded BB assembly will last you for years of bearing swaps if you treat it right.

I recommend using "Marine" grease, as it is good at resisting corrosion from sweat and minerals and doesn't wash away easily. Use enough so that it overflows and is hard to replace the seals, then carefully wipe off all the excess, so it doesn't attract dirt.

O+ FL
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 15:37 Quote
Im going to differ from the post above a bit.

Shimano 41mm pressfit bottom brackets are a very long lasting ands reliable BB to use. I love Wheels Manafacturing BB's for the larger pressfit diamters (spindle+BB shell dia.) where they are more prown to having short life and creaking bottom brackets. They re also over double the price of a Shimano XTR bottom bracket which works soo good.

Enduro bearings are also not what I would consider to be a high end bearing. They are well priced and well adopted in the bike indusrty for whatever reason. Anything SKF, NTN ect.. are of much higher quality.

What your reallying buying into when buying a Wheels bottom bracket is the ability to replace the bearings, and not the cups when servicing. Shiamno your stuck in replacing the who BB each time. It is nice to have the option to choose whichever brand of bearing to press in if you want to go upscale if your wallets fat. So the doubled price up front slowly decreases with every service because bearings are relatively cheap.

I love Wheels mfg thread together BB's for a lot of applications, but a 41mm pressfit using 24mm (shiamno) spindle is just too easy not to use. In my experince they last just as long as the Wheels mfg BB's

There is one option thats above all of these for life and thats buying a BB from a engineer dude that makes them for a bunch of bikes, and yours is one of them. Here is a link to his website https://www.hambini.com/product/bb92-to-shimano-mtb-black-bottom-bracket/

This way you can choose your bearings like with the Wheel mfg bb but a better design in the end. Hambini has some good info into what makes good bearings, bottom bracket shells and frames on his youtube channel which is great dork info.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 20:02 Quote
So, what about someone like me with a bb92 30mm Race Face Cinch setup?

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 20:28 Quote
Enduro makes bb92 (41mm) for 30mm spindles in both single row amd dual row versions. Kogel makes ceramic ones. Raceface makes them but they are horrible quality. Rotor makes some. Bb infinite makes ceramic ones also.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
Having trouble finding the Enduro bearings.
Whatcha think of these?

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb86-to-30mm-flanged-dual-row-pressfit-86-92-abec-3-bottom-bracket.html#

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
Ktmexperiment wrote:
Having trouble finding the Enduro bearings.
Whatcha think of these?

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb86-to-30mm-flanged-dual-row-pressfit-86-92-abec-3-bottom-bracket.html#

PF4130 is what you need - 41mm BB Shell ID - 30mm Crank Spindle OD - 89.5/92mm BB92 Shell Width.

That WMFG/Enduro BB is great, as are Hope and Rotor.

Currently have that WMFG set in my Reign with RaceFace Next R cranks, with a few months use on BB, still spins nicely.

I have 2 new sets of Rotor which I picked up on sale and a well used Hope with 1 notchy bearing, much better after a clean and regrease, still good as a spare. Probably got a lifetime worth of BBs right there.

As Lance-h said there are a few other good options out there too. Haven't tried ceramic, bit expensive for a consumable part.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 15:47 Quote
By the way, you can also service the Shimano bottom brackets there is a 6806 bearings inside.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 17:49 Quote
Cura wrote:
By the way, you can also service the Shimano bottom brackets there is a 6806 bearings inside.

I always find the plastic spacers bust a part but maybe I’ve been unlucky. You can replace the 6805 bearings for sure. Not for 30mm spindles although.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 7:26 Quote
lance-h wrote:
Cura wrote:

I always find the plastic spacers bust a part but maybe I’ve been unlucky. You can replace the 6805 bearings for sure. Not for 30mm spindles although.

Oh, yes 6805 bearings...I replaced my bb92 Shimano internal parts with enduro bearings outboard kit which uses mr2437 bearings and an additional external dust seal. No need to worry about breaking dust caps, although I had zero issues taking those out. I use pressfit bb removal tool to tap them out gently

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 9:45 Quote
lance-h wrote:
Good option

I need a "best budget option": I just bought a 2018 Trek Fuel 9.8. Trek's website lists a PF92 bottom bracket which I'm assuming is the same as BB92 (or one that fits BB92). The previous owner replaced the stock bottom bracket with a Raceface cinch 30mm spindle bottom bracket and paired it will 175mm cranks. I'm going to try this setup to see if it works for me, but from what I've read I'm going to be better off with 170mm or 165mm cranks (I'm 5ft 6 and prefer to reduce pedal strikes).

So my choices appear to be to find 170/165 crank arms that fit the Raceface bottom bracket or replace both the bottom bracket and crankset. After a quick look online, I'm surprised how expensive the 30mm spindle crank arms are, so it seems my best option might be to replace both.

I'm not looking for anything crazy expensive. The Shimano BB92 bottom bracket seems fine to me. If I go with this option, what's a decent budget crankset that would fit? I've also read that there is a Dub bottom bracket that will also work. Any reason that this would be better/worse than the Shimano?

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 20:00 Quote
Great post. been reading for hours and am still confused. new stuff.

I have a 2018 Trek fuel ex 7. bottom bracket is PF92 with sram NX GXP cranks.

Can I service my bearings? How do I pick a replacement bottom bracket when needed?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 3:16 Quote
backsweep wrote:
Great post. been reading for hours and am still confused. new stuff.

I have a 2018 Trek fuel ex 7. bottom bracket is PF92 with sram NX GXP cranks.

Can I service my bearings? How do I pick a replacement bottom bracket when needed?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Hi,are you sure you have GPX? it's pritty new bike and I don't see GXP after 2017 on bikes... you can change bearing if you find correct size bearing but I think, better option will be change to DUB crank. DUB bb is mutch more durable

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
Definitely gxp. Got a compatible wheels manufacturing bb.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010239
Mobile Version of Website