Scratches on internal damper shaft! How screwed am I? (RS monarch rc3 + debonair)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Scratches on internal damper shaft! How screwed am I? (RS monarch rc3 + debonair)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 29, 2020 at 6:07 Quote
Hi guys,

With all my free time during lockdown, I decided it was time to try a full rebuild on my Rockshox monarch rc3 plus debonair rear shock.

however, upon trying to undo the shim stack bolt, I have managed to scratch the internal damper shaft. See photo here!

I know this is probably the worst place to scratch on the whole shock, but does anyone know if it will still function? Is it worth trying to fill in the scratches with nail polish/epoxy etc, and sand down?

I have a full service kit to replace all seals and 3wt oil for the damper, but I'm unsure whether to call it a day, and buy a new shock!

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:21 Quote
i'd try to fill and sand it first, but if that doesn't work you should be able to buy a new shaft.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 20:06 Quote
You are probably okay. Feel the scratches with your finger. If you feel sharp or rough edges, you'll want to buff them down with very fine steel wool/wire wool. If you are careful, you should be able to make it smooth enough that the rubber seals can deal with the surface imperfections.

Since you are already replacing the seals and o-rings, I'd expect that this will likely be successful. If not, it should be quite obvious - as the oil and air will start mixing with each cycle of the shock. In that case, you'll be able to just replace the shaft - as chize suggests. No need for a new shock.

Even if you want a new shock, you'll be able to sell the Monarch for a lot more than the cost of the replacement shaft, so there is no reason not to repair it.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 3:59 Quote
anoplura wrote:
You are probably okay. Feel the scratches with your finger. If you feel sharp or rough edges, you'll want to buff them down with very fine steel wool/wire wool. If you are careful, you should be able to make it smooth enough that the rubber seals can deal with the surface imperfections.

Since you are already replacing the seals and o-rings, I'd expect that this will likely be successful. If not, it should be quite obvious - as the oil and air will start mixing with each cycle of the shock. In that case, you'll be able to just replace the shaft - as chize suggests. No need for a new shock.

Even if you want a new shock, you'll be able to sell the Monarch for a lot more than the cost of the replacement shaft, so there is no reason not to repair it.

thanks a lot for replying! really want to try and fix it up, so glad others think it can be done.

Do you know where you can buy the new damper shafts? I've looked but can't find them.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 22:18 Quote
pamph96 wrote:
anoplura wrote:

thanks a lot for replying! really want to try and fix it up, so glad others think it can be done.

Do you know where you can buy the new damper shafts? I've looked but can't find them.

I would strongly suggest just ordering a new shaft as opposed to attempting a repair. Go to a good lbs that has experience with rockshox servicing. They should be able to get you an appropriate damper shaft.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 16:29 Quote
pamph96 wrote:
anoplura wrote:

I'd give TF Tuned a call I'm sure they'll have one or know where to get one

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 4:44 Quote
And also buy Monarch vise block (https://www.bike-components.de/en/RockShox/Vise-Blocks-3-bolt-for-Monarch-Vivid-Vivid-Air-Reverb-p42013/) - so you won't scratch shaft again.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
I'd recommend ordering a new shaft. I was able to find the rebound shaft for my Pike through the parts catalog on the Rock Shox site. I had a similar issue to yours and ran it anyway because I planned on replacing the garbage monarch anyway. Shock lasted a few weeks of riding before the setting knobs started to become ineffective....

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005325
Mobile Version of Website