Homemade "Hall lock" for Sram & Shimano

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade "Hall lock" for Sram & Shimano
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 29, 2020 at 11:52 Quote
A brilliant solution on a homemade "Hall Lock" for Sram and Shiamno derailleurs from my buddy Collin Timmermans!

https://youtu.be/IChC4h8WDkA

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 13:16 Quote
Interesting.

I wonder what the cons to this mod are (if any)?

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Interesting.

I wonder what the cons to this mod are (if any)?

not sure he says he hasnt had any problems and seeing as how the TRP derailluer comes with it stock Id assume its safe.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 21:13 Quote
He's gotta pretty cool YouTube channel. I think I'll try this trick out. I run the STFU chain silencer and I can still hear my derailleur bouncing around back there when smashing so maybe this is the fix

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
I’m definitely giving that a go!

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Ya im hoping this will also stop my b screw from getting smashed after a bunch of bike park laps, hopefully it'll also stop me snapping derailleur cables after a bunch of park laps aswell im going to be trying it for the first time this weekend!

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 10:42 Quote
This is a great idea! Only cons I can think of are the loss of a few threads by spacing the bolt out slightly. Using the thinnest spacer possible can combat this. And the inability to do this on an 11 speed Shimano using a goatlink because of how it mounts.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
How do I specifically find one of these spacers?? Is this something you need to order online or could I find it at a hardware store

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 11:08 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
How do I specifically find one of these spacers?? Is this something you need to order online or could I find it at a hardware store

This is the washer I bought for my GX derailleur

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Aluminum-Washer-10mm-I-D-16mm-O-D-1mm-Thick-p/caf1029-10.htm

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 0:17 Quote
I have tried this on my 11-speed Shimano SLX and it works perfect - shifting is like before but bike is now almost quiet Smile

For 11 speed shimano you need to put small washer to the position of red arrow:

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
Andrazzz wrote:
I have tried this on my 11-speed Shimano SLX and it works perfect - shifting is like before but bike is now almost quiet Smile

Can you give further explanation and/or pictures of it? I don't understand how it works on shimano 11 speed. The shimano 12 speed/sram makes sense to me, but this seems like it wouldn't accomplish the same thing?

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
Andrazzz wrote:

We couldnt find a washer that size so we made an oring out of an old inner tube tightened it down and it worked perfectly!

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 18:04 Quote
Andrazzz wrote:

I drilled out a washer and filed down the edges until it fit. Works a charm, my bike is much more quiet.

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 1:27 Quote
I also didn't find correct washer - I found one with correct inner diameter and I just grinded outer diameter to fit inside the hole of deraileur body. You need washer size 6,5 x 9 x 0,5 (or 1,0).

See attached pictures of rough 3D model:

Default Shimano 11 speed: gap between orange washer and derailleur body (dark grey). Grey part rotates together with orange washer and yellow bolt.
Default Shimano 11 speed gap between orange washer and derailleur body dark grey .

Modified Shimano 11 speed, added green washer. No gap between orange washer and derailleur body (dark grey). No rotation left after yellow bolt is tightened.
Modified Shimano 11 speed added green washer. No gap between orange washer and derailleur body dark grey .

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007821
Mobile Version of Website