Tires narrower than expected?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Tires narrower than expected?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 30, 2020 at 2:44 Quote
I bought a Conti Der Baron 2.4 for use as a front tire on my 26er. After inflating it I noticed that the width of the tire was closer to 2.1". That was weird. So I swapped it for a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5. Again the measured width was 2.1".
My rear tire is a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35, which measures true to width. Its on the exact same rim as the front.
I expected that if my rims were too narrow for the tires, then I'd have expected to have the same issue on the back.

Has anyone experienced this before? Could the tires widen with some use because they're too stiff just after installation? My rims are Fulcrum Red Metal 3 26" for reference. According to the manual, they should be able to take 2.4" tires without a problem.

Any advice is appreciated.

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 8:38 Quote
It is « known » that Maxxis tires are always on the small side when it comes to sizing. Yet the difference you experience is more important than usually reported. I don't know if a break-in period might help, but they will for sure never reach their intended width.

What is the internal width of your rim?

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
This is both interesting, and odd. Weirdly, I had the same problem with Continental.
I'm not sure of the rim width. I think it is 25 mm, but I'll have to measure it the next time I take it apart.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004509
Mobile Version of Website