FOX 36 sag query

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
FOX 36 sag query
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 30, 2020 at 15:44 Quote
This could relate to any fork but see what you think. When setting sag, once I dismount to check I have sufficient pressure and measure sag, I find if I lift the front of the bike I will have another 10mm of sag. I am using the sag amount WITHOUT lifting the front to set air pressure, does anyone else experience this?

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 7:30 Quote
Granda wrote:
This could relate to any fork but see what you think. When setting sag, once I dismount to check I have sufficient pressure and measure sag, I find if I lift the front of the bike I will have another 10mm of sag. I am using the sag amount WITHOUT lifting the front to set air pressure, does anyone else experience this?

This is a product of any fork with a supple top end as it sags slightly under the bikes weight. You should be pulling the fork down to reset the travel before setting your sag.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 23:00 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Granda wrote:
This could relate to any fork but see what you think. When setting sag, once I dismount to check I have sufficient pressure and measure sag, I find if I lift the front of the bike I will have another 10mm of sag. I am using the sag amount WITHOUT lifting the front to set air pressure, does anyone else experience this?

This is a product of any fork with a supple top end as it sags slightly under the bikes weight. You should be pulling the fork down to reset the travel before setting your sag.

Thanks mate, I take from your answer I should include that extra sag when measuring static sag.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
Granda wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
Granda wrote:
This could relate to any fork but see what you think. When setting sag, once I dismount to check I have sufficient pressure and measure sag, I find if I lift the front of the bike I will have another 10mm of sag. I am using the sag amount WITHOUT lifting the front to set air pressure, does anyone else experience this?

This is a product of any fork with a supple top end as it sags slightly under the bikes weight. You should be pulling the fork down to reset the travel before setting your sag.

Thanks mate, I take from your answer I should include that extra sag when measuring static sag.

Yep those 10mm count as sag.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
Does the fork extend easily and stay extended, or does it suck down immediately?

Air trapped in the negative air-side will cause the fork to suck down, and require quite a bit of persuading to extend.
I believe it's from clogged ports from excessive grease on the air-shaft.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 14:22 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Granda wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:


This is a product of any fork with a supple top end as it sags slightly under the bikes weight. You should be pulling the fork down to reset the travel before setting your sag.

Thanks mate, I take from your answer I should include that extra sag when measuring static sag.

Yep those 10mm count as sag.

Thank you

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
mistermanny wrote:
Does the fork extend easily and stay extended, or does it suck down immediately?

Air trapped in the negative air-side will cause the fork to suck down, and require quite a bit of persuading to extend.
I believe it's from clogged ports from excessive grease on the air-shaft.

No - it doesn’t suck down, the weight of the bike causes the issue - thanks

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 20:08 Quote
So technically this is probably bad advice but there's a reason I think it's worth considering. I always set sag on my shock but never worry about it on my fork. My experience is pretty limited to my foxzocchi bomber Z1, but basically if you're not within 3 psi and a few clicks of compression from the recommended settings you need to change the amount of spacers in the fork.

My fork at 150mm came with 3 spacers and in a 3psi range it either blew through its travel with LSC around the middle (sweep adjuster), or was way too harsh even with LSC all the way open.

Just went down to 2 spacers, pressure at the top of that 3psi range and the LSC just below middle the fork is amazing.

There are people out there running more spacers than they need and correspondingly have to run lsc wide open and way lower pressures. If you find you have to run lsc wide open you either have too much pressure or too many spacers.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
So technically this is probably bad advice but there's a reason I think it's worth considering. I always set sag on my shock but never worry about it on my fork. My experience is pretty limited to my foxzocchi bomber Z1, but basically if you're not within 3 psi and a few clicks of compression from the recommended settings you need to change the amount of spacers in the fork.

My fork at 150mm came with 3 spacers and in a 3psi range it either blew through its travel with LSC around the middle (sweep adjuster), or was way too harsh even with LSC all the way open.

Just went down to 2 spacers, pressure at the top of that 3psi range and the LSC just below middle the fork is amazing.

There are people out there running more spacers than they need and correspondingly have to run lsc wide open and way lower pressures. If you find you have to run lsc wide open you either have too much pressure or too many spacers.

Suppose it is what works! My Fox has recommended LSC 6 clicks from fully closed which I cant get my head around. I would have thought 1/3 LSC would have produced a good balance of compliance and firmness.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 17:52 Quote
8 clicks out would put you at 1/3 as you only have 12 usable clicks. That's still in the range I suggested. My bomber z1 has a sweep damper and I run it a little past half from closed so am also about 7 clicks out.

If you were running more than 8 clicks out you either have too much pressure or too many token (or just need to ride harder Smile )

As you get faster and hit bigger features you may find a need for more compression damping

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 1:56 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
8 clicks out would put you at 1/3 as you only have 12 usable clicks. That's still in the range I suggested. My bomber z1 has a sweep damper and I run it a little past half from closed so am also about 7 clicks out.

If you were running more than 8 clicks out you either have too much pressure or too many token (or just need to ride harder Smile )

As you get faster and hit bigger features you may find a need for more compression damping

Beer

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005856
Mobile Version of Website