Why aren't there more entry level dirt jumpers?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Why aren't there more entry level dirt jumpers?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 30, 2020 at 18:19 Quote
I'm just stepping into the world of dirt jumping from a decade of skateboarding, and a year of motocross. What's wild to me is there seems to be hundreds of newcomers like myself that want entry level ($500) dirt jumpers, but the market offerings are pretty small and completely sold out.

Every single sub-$500 bike is sold out. Everywhere you look. The Mafiabikes Blackjack D, the Norco Ryde 26, the Octane One melt, that cheaper NS... Meanwhile there are an endless supply of $1000+ bikes. And there's like a monthly post here asking for a dirt jumper under $600 (go look, every link is 404 or sold out).

What gives? I know the wisdom of buying good gear from my other sports, but I also appreciate that everyone who starts at least starts as a beginner, and cost should not slow them down. There are probably more beginners than experts in the market. And if a market is perpetually sold out... it probably means there's unmet demand.

It's to the point where like.. if Mafiabikes can build a bike for $400, and people like it (even if they'll outgrow it)- I'm wondering why I don't have my metal shop fabricate a cloned Chromoly frame, buy comparative forks and wheels wholesale, and just pump out 1000 bang-for-the-buck DJ bikes. If everyone else is sold out, won't I sell out and get rich? What am I missing?

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 18:26 Quote
at this point in time, people are buying way more bikes than ever beofre. Tha could be the reson most are sold out. I was talking to the owner of a local BMX shop the other day, they have no complete bikes for sale, all sold out. Bikes sales have gone up 200%

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 18:31 Quote
Yeah I'm seeing that locally here in Tahoe too. Even on Craigslist. Guy today had a Norco for $150. I saw it after 16 minutes and offered $300. It was sold by the time he responded. Also seeing the same for dirtbikes and other outdoor gear. But that only fuels the thought... should I go clone a chrome frame and make a bunch of bikes? If there's a clear profit, I'll sink $20k into manufacturing if it would actually fill that market and get more people like me started on the jump track. But I just feel like there's something I don't understand about the market. Maybe DJ is actually just a small niche and sold out from circumstance.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
Yeah, definitely the bike demand during Covid issue.

But, also, the demand is focused on a certain price point.

With DJ MTB, a large part of the cost is the suspension fork. A good suspension fork can be $400+.

Certain companies offer a rigid fork option which allows people to get into the scene with a full chromoly frame and fork and disc brake for like $550. Like the Haro Steel Reserve 1.1.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 13:30 Quote
That makes sense.. just hoping they stock up again. I've messaged a few of those companies to ask when they are expecting to restock, only answer is "hopefully soon".

I can handle the shittiest fork, as long as it's got a spring in it. I have a shitty bmx bike right now and I seriously have to stay off until my wrists heal. As a noob I'm casing and landing funny a lot still, and the rigid frame transfers all of that blunt force into my wrists. My buddy's piece of shit Mafiabike Blackjack feels like cloud luxury comparatively.

Still amazed that I can't even build a shitty DJ for under $600. Could actually just weld dirt bike (pit bike) forks onto a f*cking WalMart bmx frame and get back to the park sooner and cheaper. Probably wouldn't notice the gear holding me back for at least a few more months. But on that note- anyone have a build spec for a $400 DJ? Matter of fact- the cheapest *possible* DJ build. I'm feeling cynical and want to see how bad it can get without falling apart.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 11:51 Quote
skate2bike wrote:
That makes sense.. just hoping they stock up again. I've messaged a few of those companies to ask when they are expecting to restock, only answer is "hopefully soon".

I can handle the shittiest fork, as long as it's got a spring in it. I have a shitty bmx bike right now and I seriously have to stay off until my wrists heal. As a noob I'm casing and landing funny a lot still, and the rigid frame transfers all of that blunt force into my wrists. My buddy's piece of shit Mafiabike Blackjack feels like cloud luxury comparatively.

Still amazed that I can't even build a shitty DJ for under $600. Could actually just weld dirt bike (pit bike) forks onto a f*cking WalMart bmx frame and get back to the park sooner and cheaper. Probably wouldn't notice the gear holding me back for at least a few more months. But on that note- anyone have a build spec for a $400 DJ? Matter of fact- the cheapest *possible* DJ build. I'm feeling cynical and want to see how bad it can get without falling apart.

This is one of the cheapest, but still decent 26" suspension forks. Note that it is for a 9mm solid axle or quick release skewer, which should help you find a budget front wheel.
ROCKSHOX 30 SILVER TK 26" FORK 2021 A3
https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-30-Silver-Tk-26-Fork-2021-A3
Comments on it. Note that when you have a coil-only (not air adjust) fork, then if you are a heavier guy or really want a super stiff fork, you have to change the coil, there's no way to adjust it stiffer.
https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/best-low-end-fork-rockshox-30-silver-tk-coil-vs-recon-silver-tk-air-1071820.html

You can check the pinkbike.com Buy/Sell section. You can also do SearchAllCraigslist and do a search for "dirt jumper" and see if there are ones in other cities who might ship it to you.

2015 transition pbj dirt jumper - $700 (Golden)

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/arvada-2015-transition-pbj-dirt-jumper/7134372953.html

Haro Steel Reserve 1.2
https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/d/stow-haro-dirt-jumper/7131188047.html

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
For the cheapest possible dirt jumper, I would recommend just buying a smaller sized mountain bike and making some changes. My friend did this, and it only cost him around $200, so pretty cheap. The only change she you would need to make would be 1x chainring, single speed rear, remove front brake and all shifters, and lower the seat.

Technically, this would get you a dirt jumper-ish bike, but it would leave a lot to be desired. To add to the build above, I would recommend new tires and, (depending on the bike) a shorter stem and wider bars. Tires make a huge difference on the feel of a bike, so getting dirt jumper specific tires is important

For $400, you could build a decent custom dirt jumper. I did this (pics in profile) for under $350, until I bought new forks which bumped it up to $500. One thing to not cheap out on is the frame, because geo and specs are important to have right. The main thing you want is horizontal dropouts, because that allows you to adjust chain tension. Most 26” frames with horizontal dropouts will be for dirt jumpers. If you want to run gears, vertical dropouts would be better. Having a good frame allows you to upgrade as you outgrow parts, something that the frame I used doesn’t. I’m basically stuck building up another bike to get features like horizontal dropouts and tapered headtube. The Rockshox fork would work pretty good, but you could spend a little more to get an air fork if that matters. Other than that, you can cheap out on stem/bars/grips/brake without it changing too much. I’ve got a $10 stem and $20 bars on my DJ and they have held up so far. For cranks, something cheap will work. Keep a look out on Chain reaction cycles for deals, as I got an e*thirteen crankset for only $50. Wheels will probably be the hardest thing to find. I used a front wheel I got for free, because the front wheel takes less stress and usually stays straighter than the rear (unless you are doing 180s or 360s). You can get probably any 135mm wide, QR rear wheel and swap the QR axle to a 10mm solid axle with nuts. This will work much better in horizontal dropouts than a regular QR.

Sorry for the long post Smile

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 7:51 Quote
Just spend some time in the buy/sell section here on Pinkbike and you can usually find a used DJ bike within your $500 budget. From what I've seen you could probably find something similar to a Norco Ryde or 125 with a Manitou Circus sport or comp, or RST Dirt fork that would definitely get you rolling. The best part about a proper DJ bike is that your geometry will be correct and the parts are designed for the job. Unlike a Walmart bike buildup, a used DJ bike is generally worth upgrading and if you don't completely trash it, will be worth selling again when you want your next upgrade bike.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 21:03 Quote
It’s definitely covid having to do with everything being sold out. Work at a sports store that sells all hockey winter months and baseball bikes lacrosse in the summer. We’re out of bikes already and giant and Marin (the two bike brands we carry) are out of stock with most bikes not having a replenish date. People are buying bikes since team sports aren’t being allowed.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
Good looks on the build suggestions. Probably going to go that route unless something pops up in the classifieds.

Is there anything wrong about taking my friends bike to the metal shop and having them make a chromoly clone of the frame? Could get the frame at half price. Then a cheap coil fork... could pull off a jumper in the mid 300’s.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 15:35 Quote
I know nothing about building frames, but would a metal shop do a good enough job to ride? Just thinking that it might be little difficult to make a clone of a bike frame without all the special equipment. If they can do, and you trust them, I would do it.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 20:15 Quote
skate2bike wrote:
Good looks on the build suggestions. Probably going to go that route unless something pops up in the classifieds.

Is there anything wrong about taking my friends bike to the metal shop and having them make a chromoly clone of the frame? Could get the frame at half price. Then a cheap coil fork... could pull off a jumper in the mid 300’s.

Go to the metal shop and ask for a second job. Then you'll quickly get the extra $500 for a bike that's not going to fall apart after a few jumps. You'll need the experience if you're going to spend 20k on a manufacturing line anyway.

Local framebuilders cost way more than a bike built in China. And not any metal worker can make a bike frame, even if you copy the design (which takes more skilled labor).

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 20:38 Quote
A $500.00 dirt jumper will be a very expensive wind chime.

Posted: Jun 21, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
skate2bike wrote:

There’s no way “the metal shop” can do it, unless he’s a custom frame builder and you mow his yard 40 or 50 times.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014961
Mobile Version of Website